• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So not even Will Smith can pull off a goatee. If anybody stil actually has a goatee and you need further evidence to remove it, this is it.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So not even Will Smith can pull off a goatee. If anybody stil actually has a goatee and you need further evidence to remove it, this is it.
Hasn't he had a goatee much of his life? The last picture is just a real raggedy example. Brad Pitt also has sported one at several points and looked great, Johnny Depp minus 40 accessories, etc.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ya i guess he has its just been more stuble and less-literal-goat.

When i see goatees now I just think of Murray Hewitt:

I don't like this goatee.
I hate it.

Makes you look like
a goat, doesn't it?

Yeah, exactly. But you've gotta make
sacrifices for success.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ya i guess he has its just been more stuble and less-literal-goat.

When i see goatees now I just think of Murray Hewitt:

I don't like this goatee.
I hate it.

Makes you look like
a goat, doesn't it?

Yeah, exactly. But you've gotta make
sacrifices for success.

LOL

I have had a goatee since 19. I remember when I was younger I’d alwyas want the facial hair to look perfect but as I’ve aged I like the more rugged look so my beard is a bit longer these days.

I’ve been told a lot of times that I should go full beard and I certainly have the facial hair for that but I just don’t wanna hassle with what’s not broke.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
Anglers not Danglers - P.Johnson.

1632885461847.png

1632885447953.png

1632885474150.png

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have sizing recommendations on the Merz b. Schwanen zip hoodies?

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear James's tweet is really really funny. While I'm in general playfully amused with the rise of GorpCore, I'm a pretty serious climber outside of work and the proliferation of "climbing" adjacent stuff in the fashion world is one of the more bizarre things that's been happening recently. Todd Snyder released climbing pants this season that look like no exception, and the pairs I've tried out from brands like Battenwear, RL, and even Nike have been not great. I can climb in a few pairs of 18 East shorts / pants but several styles don't work at all. To the same spirit of Harris's tweet......gotta earn some valor in all the climbing fashion merch being made.

Some egregious examples:

These Bottega "climber sneakers"

1632925859853.png

Or Loewe's chalk bag from last year that retailed for almost $500:

1632925871664.png

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL

I have had a goatee since 19. I remember when I was younger I’d alwyas want the facial hair to look perfect but as I’ve aged I like the more rugged look so my beard is a bit longer these days.

I’ve been told a lot of times that I should go full beard and I certainly have the facial hair for that but I just don’t wanna hassle with what’s not broke.

I feel like goatees have become (or maybe have always been?) the standard response to turning 40, or thereabouts. And full-on beards have been adopted by hipsters for the past two decades since looking like an urban lumberjack became a thing. So in essense that's overplayed too.

I just prefer the unshaven look, but maintained and never scruffy.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like goatees have become (or maybe have always been?) the standard response to turning 40, or thereabouts. And full-on beards have been adopted by hipsters for the past two decades since looking like an urban lumberjack became a thing. So in essense that's overplayed too.

I just prefer the unshaven look, but maintained and never scruffy.

Beards and man buns were indeed adapted by hipsters.

I had long hair in my late teens / early 20s, goatee just happened because I let it grow for a while and liked the look. I started letting my hair grow long during pandemic but the maintenance was not something I wanted to deal with, and before you ask absolutely no to the man bun thing.

The goatee at this point is just me not liking the overly clean shaven look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads