• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
865323_brown_and_other_1.jpg

RO did a good job here with the suede mainline ramones, if I didn’t have 2 pairs I would of copped these

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody buy through Carousell Hong Kong? Trying to make an account and keep having trouble.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody buy through Carousell Hong Kong? Trying to make an account and keep having trouble.

What kind of trouble? I made an account on Carousel Singapore once and I didn't run in to any problems...

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of trouble? I made an account on Carousel Singapore once and I didn't run in to any problems...
It sends me a verification code and when I put it in it says Code Invalid

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting read. Not a huge fan myself but sometimes it can work.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I glanced through. I am glad Simon pointed out that there is nothing new here: Armani and RL were doing this well before there was an ALD, et al.

I think these looks can work when styled carefully for look books and product shots, but when most people in everyday life try it, it can often flop.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I glanced through. I am glad Simon pointed out that there is nothing new here: Armani and RL were doing this well before there was an ALD, et al.

I think these looks can work when styled carefully for look books and product shots, but when most people in everyday life try it, it can often flop.
They flop with me all the time so I rarely try them. Better for college students. Most I can do is wear a winter baseball cap with tailoring when it's cold out.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah but lookbooks are inspirational or whatever, they give you a vibe you can work and fiddle with not a set of instructions. Of course some of the stuff is over the top or cringey looking irl (the same way full runway looks generally are). You take some you leave some.
But that's something you need to develop a feel for, by looking at a bit of everything. And it's going to be harder if you come from a very CM-centric background which is much narrower than SWD to begin with.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of the weird things about CM is how irreverent rule-breaking is celebrated if it's been codified into class behavior. This only works with older classes (so like 1970s prep or 1980s Old Money), which are considered "higher status" than modern rich people. 1970s prep was full of rule-breaking and people reveled in wearing absurd things because they were thumbing their nose at the previous generation. Now that stuff is celebrated in CM, but only if you do it just-so and just-right, following codified looks but not the spirit.

The blog Ivy Style is full of guys in their 60s and guys who are in their 30s who pretend they're in the 60s. The comment section loves ******** on looks like ALD, but then celebrate how some wacky Harvard kid in 1968 wore a madras sport coat with shorts because "he didn't care and it was so nonchalant back then."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads