• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew almost immediately into my fashunz journey that due to my love of hot climates it didn’t get better than some sidezip Cuban heels, tropical Virgin wool trousers, and a barely buttoned up shirt. That’s probably the peak of my style
Have you ever looked into Barbanera's stuff? I think you'd look great in it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's basically impossible to come up with recommendations nowadays that are unassailable. If you take a very literal view, then nothing is recommendable because everyone has different needs, lifestyles, identities, etc. Kapital ring coat? Too weird. Acryomn space cowboy hiking gear? Not practical in Texas. Shorts? Not gentlemanly.

Even if people wear these things well, they occupy a much smaller niche than the "generic recommendations."

Grey flannel trousers are useful if you have sport coats. And tailored clothing is useful in some regards: it's good for certain occasions and environments, it fits into a certain lingua franca of men's style that most people understand, and it flatters the body. Most people just starting out understand CM. The clothes don't require some dramatic contrition of identity or body type to wear.

The other alternative is something even more boring: just chinos and a basic Gitman shirt. Which is also understandable, but not that inspiring.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've recently come to the conclusion that, despite all evidence otherwise, I have absolutely no need for grey flannel trousers. Living in southern CA, I have not needed them once in 10+ years, although every forum/fashion blog/magazine would have me believe that grey flannel trousers are an absolute must-have staple in every man's wardrobe, I have no idea why I ever listened to this. Not only have I never needed them, I've never seen anyone else here wearing them either.

I'm gonna start a fashion blog and call it "Put This Off" and it'll just be a list of clothes to not buy until age 65

This you?

Last edited:

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I recently came across a video titled "5 Men's Brands Worth Investing In" from an account with nearly 900K followers.

Two of his recommendations were.... drum roll..... Banana Republic and Club Monaco.

It's dumbfounding at first, then you realize their target audience and how generally clueless / apathetic most men feel about fashion and it starts to make sense.. kinda.

While I feel most "Essential" lists are extremely basic and irrelevant (I don't own khakis or a white button up), they are surprisingly helpful to a good number of men. For Styleforum users? Not so much.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
It's literally all elective.

Well, is it though? I've needed suits for court. I've needed swim trunks for the pool. I've needed a scarf in the cold.

I've never needed grey flannel pants as a specific requirement for anything. I had them and wore them to the office on occasion but nothing ever really necessitated it. I bought some because lots of resources suggested I should, and I've since realized I was a bit led on, or was buying into something that made more sense in a different context than the one in which I exist. My comment was getting at the fact that these seem to receive an outsize amount of attention for something that in my experience turned out to be totally unnecessary. That's all.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re basically making a comment on your climate and having clothes that are appropriate for one’s climate, right?

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You live in southern california...it doesn't get cold there. Guides are meant to be read by people across all sorts of geographic regions, even places that get cold. That's why they recommend flannels.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, is it though? I've needed suits for court. I've needed swim trunks for the pool. I've needed a scarf in the cold.

I've never needed grey flannel pants as a specific requirement for anything. I had them and wore them to the office on occasion but nothing ever really necessitated it. I bought some because lots of resources suggested I should, and I've since realized I was a bit led on, or was buying into something that made more sense in a different context than the one in which I exist. My comment was getting at the fact that these seem to receive an outsize amount of attention for something that in my experience turned out to be totally unnecessary. That's all.

Maybe, but you can get away with not owning a suit either. Many well-dressed people in this board either don't own a suit or they wear a suit so infrequently, they're fine with the cheapest possible option.

I write about suits and don't even wear formal suits. I think I wear one maybe once every seven or ten years. So if you include that in a list of recommendations, someone will invariably say ACCCKKSSSHUELLYYY.

It's basically impossible to come up with any list of recommendations. Yet, such recommendations are useful. The idea isn't that everyone should own this or everyone should wear that. It's about giving people a baseline so they can explore their own taste. If you include weirdo Kapital pants and avant-garde Rick Owens Dunks, someone who's just getting started is going to wrongly think this subject isn't for them. But if you give them an accessible entry point, they may either stay at that level or they may eventually move on to something else. But at least they got into the hobby.

I'm into fountain pens. The Lamy 2000 is often included in lists about "must haves." I use that pen so seldomly, I ended up giving it away to someone on this board. Yet, it was useful for me to buy that pen in the beginning so I can experience it. From that, I could find my own taste. I eventually figured out exactly what kind of nibs, filling systems, and inks I like to use. These sorts of "intro lists" are useful because they give people a baseline to play around with different looks and experience things, so they can find thier own taste.

Reactions: XWT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics