• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason, have had Alden cordovan long wings on my mind a lot lately. They seem like one of those CM things that actually transitions easily to the type of stuff I like, particularly because of how good the Barrie last is.

1) Would it look dumb to put a reasonable lug sole on them? I can’t find pictures of such a combo.
2) Would it be possible to add brass eyelets at a cobbler?
3) Would cordovan be more likely to age with those nice ripples/waves, versus creases?

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For some reason, have had Alden cordovan long wings on my mind a lot lately. They seem like one of those CM things that actually transitions easily to the type of stuff I like, particularly because of how good the Barrie last is.

1) Would it look dumb to put a reasonable lug sole on them? I can’t find pictures of such a combo.
2) Would it be possible to add brass eyelets at a cobbler?
3) Would cordovan be more likely to age with those nice ripples/waves, versus creases?
1) Alden longwing commando sole
2) yes, but perhaps not every cobbler can do it or be trusted to do it. I may be wrong about this so ask in the Alden thread
3) yes

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly I would choose a trickers bourton. I feel they look better with a lug sole than the long wings for a similar vibe

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah my school was a super laid back when it came to uniforms etc. We also had summer uniforms a la ***** - shorts with a gi only between memorial day and labor day. This was from a seminar a few years back, funnily enough the only guy in a white on white gi was a visitor.

e: why is s a m b o blanked out?

View attachment 1629278
lol. You guys only have black belts? I think that we are about 75% white belts, maybe 10% blue belts, and the rest advanced belts, with only currently two black belts, including the main instructor.

I can't find a picture of the gym (which I helped paint!) but it's all blue and white and super clean looking. We have a lot of mats, and then one side with workout equipment. and there a heavy bags and more specialized bags (upper cut bags, etc...) on along the sides. it's a big space.

It just opened in the spring of 2016, so most of the advanced bellts came in with colored belts already. I think that he has promoted maybe a half dozen people from white to purple belt, and then promoted a bunch of us up a belt or two. He has only promoted two people, both already brown belts to start with, to black belt.

I dunno about shorts with the uniform. It seems like a good way to deny toreando passes. I guess, but that's my go to for open guard standing passes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the black was news to me, so are mismatched colors!

might well have been a club rule but , i'd spent maybe 6 years around bjj and only ever saw white or blue. at copa pacifica maybe i did see black but it's a while back now.

good knowledge!

I've trained at two BJJ gyms, and and MMA gym, and visited many more BJJ gyms, and the rules of conduct vary widely. That includes uniform requirements.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Daniel Gracie gym just opened across the street from my house. I've been a little curious but also hesitant to check it out as I'm not in the greatest shape of my life but seems like a fun way to exercise.
Try it out. You might like it. Just make sure that they practicve safely. Also, anyone who says that BJJ is the safest martial art to practice is dumb. That would be aikido. I'd say that it's generally safe if you are talking about head injuries and acute injuries unless the gym is really unsafe, but many practitioners end up with chronic injuries, especially as you get older. My right elbow cracks at will from a few hard armbars and kimuras in competition, my knees are jacked up. I've broken and sprained toes, fingers, and ribs (in drills. I was letting my partners do knee belly drills on me, and a 200 lb woman crashed about a foot short on my right floating ribs. I think that about 90% of injuries come from drills with spazzy white belts. Don't be that.) . I even broke my back, but that is pretty unusual.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't been on here much lately because I spend too much time talking online to folks at work and it's hard to summon the energy to do the same when not working. Did want to say that I ended up ordering the Wesco Engineers. Thanks for the advice all.

Does anyone have suggestions on straw hats, preferably something with a wide brim? My scalp is just getting beat up this summer and I think it's time I get a summer hat.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a note of the martial arts in fashion. The current and next season of Nicholas Daley has some pretty sick martial arts inspired pieces!

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly I would choose a trickers bourton. I feel they look better with a lug sole than the long wings for a similar vibe

Normally I would go for something with that vibe (which is why I got Heinrich Dinkelackers, for example, when I was going for a black derby) but something about the ever so slight mismatch of the Aldens with the casualness of what I usually wear actually seems more interesting to me. Maybe it’s one of those dumb impulse things though.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Normally I would go for something with that vibe (which is why I got Heinrich Dinkelackers, for example, when I was going for a black derby) but something about the ever so slight mismatch of the Aldens with the casualness of what I usually wear actually seems more interesting to me. Maybe it’s one of those dumb impulse things though.

Hey I totally get cha, I put lug soles on some LHS because I'm an absolute idiot. Are the ugly and mismatched? Hell yeah, do I think they are sick? Also hell yeah.

Oh, how are them dinks? I want some in cordovan some day but the price plus the fact that I can't fit check them keeps me away.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a note of the martial arts in fashion. The current and next season of Nicholas Daley has some pretty sick martial arts inspired pieces!
And ByBorre across seasons is very inspired by judo wear (Borre is a judoka)

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol. You guys only have black belts? I think that we are about 75% white belts, maybe 10% blue belts, and the rest advanced belts, with only currently two black belts, including the main instructor.

I can't find a picture of the gym (which I helped paint!) but it's all blue and white and super clean looking. We have a lot of mats, and then one side with workout equipment. and there a heavy bags and more specialized bags (upper cut bags, etc...) on along the sides. it's a big space.

It just opened in the spring of 2016, so most of the advanced bellts came in with colored belts already. I think that he has promoted maybe a half dozen people from white to purple belt, and then promoted a bunch of us up a belt or two. He has only promoted two people, both already brown belts to start with, to black belt.

I dunno about shorts with the uniform. It seems like a good way to deny toreando passes. I guess, but that's my go to for open guard standing passes.

Oh we had the whole rainbow, that was just a good pic of different uniform approaches from some of the instructors / visiting instructors we had in for a seminar. It was a pretty similar deal to what you mentioned, about a half dozen guys who had come up through to purple belt, plus two guys who were already purples/browns when they started who the owner has promoted to black. And then a mass of whites and blues below. Unfortunately the owner had to shut down permanently last year thanks to covid, landlord wouldn't work with him, so I'm a bit of a refugee right now. The space was awesome though, it was relatively small, but all the art was done by graffiti artist Ewok One which gave it a real cool vibe:

1624540716698.png

There was a mural of Rio on one side of the room with a mural of NYC on the other side (can't find a great pic of that though).
1624540739476.png

1624540948381.png

Shorts were' an every day thing, just on occasion during the summer during real hot days, and to be honest most of the joy I got out of wearing them was the annoyance it gave guys who like to play torreando :fence:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics