• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Umit is friends with those guys so it seems like it’s a pretty natural collab. He’s also had plenty of kimono type pieces through the years, not exactly gi but enough similarity that it also seems like a natural move.
Im most excited about this pyjama collab he has coming with For Restless Sleepers

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 colors of gi? so white and blue ?
They are doing white and black. I love black, but we are not allowed to wear black in our gym - just white and blue, so I won't get in on this. I normally wear indigo or navy, as opposed to the standard primary blue.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure, tbh black seems iffy in a bjj setting don't think i've ever seen it worn

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure, tbh black seems iffy in a bjj setting don't think i've ever seen it worn
It's very standard. - IBJJF allows white, blue, and black gis in competetion. In more modern gyms, it is allowed. Our gym allowed it until our professor's professor asked that the professor only allow white, as is traditional. He concended to blue because of our team colors (blue and white). My lineage is Rickson Gracie, but we practice pretty modern BJJ, and we are not formally associated with Rickson. But you go to a place that is more modern, or a place that is more casual (we are very casual except for that one requirement), you'll see black all ovr the place, as well as grey, and any number of other colors. Frankly, I hate white gis.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's very standard. - IBJJF allows white, blue, and black gis in competetion. In more modern gyms, it is allowed. Our gym allowed it until our professor's professor asked that the professor only allow white, as is traditional. He concended to blue because of our team colors (blue and white). My lineage is Rickson Gracie, but we practice pretty modern BJJ, and we are not formally associated with Rickson. But you go to a place that is more modern, or a place that is more casual (we are very casual except for that one requirement), you'll see black all ovr the place, as well as grey, and any number of other colors. Frankly, I hate white gis.
A Daniel Gracie gym just opened across the street from my house. I've been a little curious but also hesitant to check it out as I'm not in the greatest shape of my life but seems like a fun way to exercise.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dare I suggest that this may be the universe sending you a message?

(the message would be: maybe try navy?)

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Albino and Preto just did a collab with pleasures which included a gi for casual wear.

1624460333464.png

Kinda dorky but I did pick up the rashguard from the collection.

Also black gis were pretty much the standard at my school, including a couple custom jobs the owner had for sale. That and mismatched colors for tops and pants. If I travel to a school that doesn't have rentals I'll pack a white one just in case but that's literally the only reason I own it.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Albino and Preto just did a collab with pleasures which included a gi for casual wear.

Also black gis were pretty much the standard at my school, including a couple custom jobs the owner had for sale. That and mismatched colors for tops and pants. If I travel to a school that doesn't have rentals I'll pack a white one just in case but that's literally the only reason I own it.

the black was news to me, so are mismatched colors!

might well have been a club rule but , i'd spent maybe 6 years around bjj and only ever saw white or blue. at copa pacifica maybe i did see black but it's a while back now.

good knowledge!

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah my school was a super laid back when it came to uniforms etc. We also had summer uniforms a la sambo - shorts with a gi only between memorial day and labor day. This was from a seminar a few years back, funnily enough the only guy in a white on white gi was a visitor.

e: why is s a m b o blanked out?

1624461420522.png

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Symphony

Reaction score
Yeah my school was a super laid back when it came to uniforms etc. We also had summer uniforms a la ***** - shorts with a gi only between memorial day and labor day. This was from a seminar a few years back, funnily enough the only guy in a white on white gi was a visitor.

e: why is s a m b o blanked out?

View attachment 1629278

in the west, it’s a racial slur used against black people

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads