• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like the first example you posted might fly, but probably not the second two.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What you think you look like:

1625261-ed776c8f44023646a5aa331db3e22e3b.jpg

What you actually look like:

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious what opinions are: In casual work environments (think tech / startups / West Coast USA companies), is it OK for men to wear leather footwear where any part of their foot is visible? Personally I lean towards "No", despite believing it's OK for women to wear open toed shoes / sandals. Which creates the question, why do we perceive men's feet differently than women?
I work in a professional office environment, but it is also located in Portland, OR. It is pretty common for folks (regardless of gender) to wear Keens or Chacos to work in the winter so I feel like leather fisherman's sandals are a huge upgrade from that. YMMV though

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
I work in tech and have seen countless engineers wear all sorts of sandals at work.

As for why we think of men's feet diffrrently… personally part of my aversion to men's feet has to do with hair.

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious what opinions are: In casual work environments (think tech / startups / West Coast USA companies), is it OK for men to wear leather footwear where any part of their foot is visible? Personally I lean towards "No", despite believing it's OK for women to wear open toed shoes / sandals. Which creates the question, why do we perceive men's feet differently than women?

View attachment 1625267
View attachment 1625266
View attachment 1625268

personally, I'd never wear open shoes to work (I work in tech in SF as well, and since I used to take Bart, I'd hate to get any gunk on feet and also someone will stomp on your foot in rush hour) but I won't mind if some other dude wore them with the right outfit, out of three, I think first two are okay for a casual office.

I think difference between perception has mostly been because women take care of their feet and men don't but that has changed now, I guess bottom line being, if you feet are clean and presentable, wear sandals if you want regardless of gender.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

View attachment 1625267
View attachment 1625266
View attachment 1625268

wow that's sexist of you. cancelled! i mean, we even have people who solicit feet pics through dm on sf... :hide::hide::hide::hide::hide::hide::hide:

All Feet Types Matter!!

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, I ordered the Barbanera Cormacs just to try out the style. I have a hunch that they might just work great with some of my Kapital stuff. Could be a fun contrast to some offbeat styles, compared to going all cosplay slim fit cowboy, which I don't think I can pull off. Or maybe I am totally wrong and I'll return the boots the same day as they arrive. Anyway, always fun to try out som new stuff!

Barbaneras are in and they're great. ?

IMG_20210616_164249.jpg

IMG_20210616_164238.jpg
IMG_20210616_164221.jpg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow that's sexist of you. cancelled! i mean, we even have people who solicit feet pics through dm on sf... :hide::hide::hide::hide::hide::hide::hide:

All Feet Types Matter!!

I have to imagine you are aware of this, but any time you revise “Black Lives Matter” to declare support for something trivial, you are suggesting that the original statement itself is trivial, and I don’t think that’s your intention.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting read from Jonah Weiner of Blackbird Spyplane on the collector’s mentality when it comes to clothes (aka jawnoisseurship):

I think the historically preservation of craft is an interesting perception of value. But somehow someone has learn to want and value that aspect. Is there a high end market for traditional finished tweed (I honestly don't know) in the same way as a 15k shirt? We do need to learn to want what we want somehow.

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Looking back at Umit Benan spring/summer 17, this collection probably would have banged if it was released as a spring/summer 21, looking at the way fashion trends have gone. The man was a bit too early.

zWcxpbh.jpg

S2p6JEa.jpg
bwxQVbB.jpg
z_umitbenan17ss-017.jpg
z_umitbenan17ss-018.jpg
umitbenan-20161018_004.jpg
umit_100.jpg
los-bastardos-look.jpg
los-bastardos-look.jpg

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slimmer hems would be great here

I mostly don't do slimmer hems. I am not after the slim fit cowboy thing. I know you're the opposite (minus the cowboy part) so ymmv.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mostly don't do slimmer hems. I am not after the slim fit cowboy thing. I know you're the opposite (minus the cowboy part) so ymmv.

Yea fair, I just think less fabric will show off the boot more :) but of course to each their own

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads