• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for where I should send a pair of pants for a tricky patch job? I don't trust any of the tailors around me to do a good job.
I know there have been good recommendations for this in the past, but I can't seem to find them

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any suggestions for where I should send a pair of pants for a tricky patch job? I don't trust any of the tailors around me to do a good job.
I know there have been good recommendations for this in the past, but I can't seem to find them

check with self edge maybe?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If it's a workwear-styled pant, such as jeans or canvas work pants, you can try any number of places -- Self Edge, Denim Therapy, Denim Repair, or Williamsburg Garment Company.

For tailored trousers or dressier items, you will likely want someone who can do invisible mending. I've used French American Reweaving Company in NYC and really like the results. Without a Trace and Best Weaving and Mending are also known for this type of work.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check with self edge maybe?
If it's a workwear-styled pant, such as jeans or canvas work pants, you can try any number of places -- Self Edge, Denim Therapy, Denim Repair, or Williamsburg Garment Company.

For tailored trousers or dressier items, you will likely want someone who can do invisible mending. I've used French American Reweaving Company in NYC and really like the results. Without a Trace and Best Weaving and Mending are also known for this type of work.
They are a pair of Robert Geller flight pants, and I think they're made of tencel. Any thoughts on who would be best suited for that? I definitely don't mind a visible patch

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are a pair of Robert Geller flight pants, and I think they're made of tencel. Any thoughts on who would be best suited for that? I definitely don't mind a visible patch

I don't think a workwear place is right for it. They often have heavier machinery that's intended to deal with heavier workwear fabrics.

If it were me, I would send this to someone who's good at suit alterations. Maybe use who you normally use for such jobs?

styleforumfan

Reaction score
The Mr P sale is super weak this time around. For the first time ever nothing really interests me and I'm literally begging them to steal my wallet. A lot of pieces are leftovers from previous sale events. So disappointed.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
The Mr P sale is super weak this time around. For the first time ever nothing really interests me and I'm literally begging them to steal my wallet. A lot of pieces are leftovers from previous sale events. So disappointed.
I picked up a few Inis Meáin sweaters. Tangental thought, do you ever feel bad from an ecological-carbon footprint point of view shipping things from Mr Porter in Italy halfway around the world only to ship them back?

I never had previously, this time I did.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I picked up a few Inis Meáin sweaters. Tangental thought, do you ever feel bad from an ecological-carbon footprint point of view shipping things from Mr Porter in Italy halfway around the world only to ship them back?

I never had previously, this time I did.
I believe Mr Porter has a distribution center in New Jersey where most North American orders are fulfilled from.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

The year is 2012. Mr Porter had launched just a year before, and you stand there in the summer heat of Georgia. You hadn't washed your APCs in 6 months. You clench your fist. You say to yourself, "These are the good ol' days." In the distance, you can hear the ocean. Many before you have walked towards the ocean. If they come back at all, they come back changed. They come back lesser than before. You walk towards the sound of water.

The year is 2013. You just graduated college. It's hot. It's really hot. In the distance there's a woman fanning herself on her porch. You can't remember, but you think she has been there fanning herself for the past year since you've moved here. You can't see her face. You could never see her face. You walk towards her. You trip slightly on something. You look down and there's nothing. Nothing but a scuff on your White Achilles. You look up, and there's nothing.

The year is 2014. You say to yourself, "These are the good ol' days." It's dark. You only hear southern crickets chirping. The Mr Porter sale is supposed to start in a few minutes. You wait patiently. It's quiet. You can only hear the ticking of a clock. You can see only the flicker of the screen on your computer. There is only silence. You say to yourself, "These are the good ol' days." The sale starts, but something's different. Something isn't right. You don't recognize this. You contort your face. Your computer screen simply stares back blankly with a "30% OFF" banner. You open your mouth to scream but nothing comes out.

The year is 2015. You say to yourself, "The Mr Porter sale ******* sucks." Your hair's a mess. Your eyes, bloodshot. Surrounding you are piles of clothes. Pants in various shades of navy and gray. Sweaters that are too tight, also in shades of gray. Visages of Ryan Gosling surround you. You say to yourself, "The Mr Porter sale ******* sucks." In the distance, there is only the wind and the voice of a man. You ignore him. Mr Porter says to you, "These items are part of our Permanent Collection and will not be on sale." You try to ignore him.

The year is 2016. You haven't slept in two weeks. You clutch at your chest, trying to catch your breath. How long have you been sweating? It's Sales Season again. You hear the voice of a man in the distance. He says to you, "The sale started at 3am. You've missed everything." You tear at your hair but nothing comes out. You weep but there is no sound. There is only the smell of the Live Oaks. There is only the taste of Salt. There is only the voice of a Man. Mr Porter, grinning, bearing its wicked coyote teeth, says to you, "These are the good ol' days." You gouge out your eyes, but you still see the 30% off banner.

never forget.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Curious what opinions are: In casual work environments (think tech / startups / West Coast USA companies), is it OK for men to wear leather footwear where any part of their foot is visible? Personally I lean towards "No", despite believing it's OK for women to wear open toed shoes / sandals. Which creates the question, why do we perceive men's feet differently than women?

lemaire-brown-flat-mules (1).jpg
sandals-oiled-calfskin-chocolate.jpg
5f85753b340279efe578a8da8932a757.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads