• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Balenciaga and I picture a highly paid tech worker perusing through the Balenciaga section of Nordstrom in her black Steve Madden heels on her lunch break. She's 31 years old and recently married, but she still wants to be perceived as young and hip...

This hurts :(
36 and I'm old and uncool.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random fashion thought: saw a dudebro at the liquor store wearing those horrible fur-lined Gucci clogs in this weather, it's been over +25C all week ;D

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Random fashion thought: saw a dudebro at the liquor store wearing those horrible fur-lined Gucci clogs in this weather, it's been over +25C all week ;D

Please add details, I never figured out who wears these monstrosities aside from a friend who wavers between curator dandy for Parisian museums and Jewish guy from Detroit into rap and skateboarding (i.e. he is both of those things but still, he obviously has identity issues).

Last edited:

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
needs more THE WALL and Sam Goody. Also gamestop so i can buy a players guide to starfox 64 and a sweet 4th edition pack of MAGIC: the gathering
Did you say GameStop? ???

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please add details, I never figured out who wears these monstrosities aside from a friend who wavers between curator dandy for Parisian museums and Jewish guy from Detroit into rap and skateboarding (i.e. he is both of those things but still, he obviously has identity issues).

I see a lot of these around the bay area worn by both women and men. Used to see them in the office too (tech....).

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please add details, I never figured out who wears these monstrosities

Thirty-something guy, beard, trucker cap, aviator glasses, slightly saggy jeans, polo shirt, and a few tattoos. Apparently a domesticated one since he had a kid with him in one of those carrying things.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone wear chestnut / tan shoes anymore?

I’m cleaning out my closet and these are all on the chopping block. I find I barely reach for them anymore.

284C51A6-074B-4C62-A3B9-E2F00431A437.jpeg

1F56DD19-9A2A-4F0A-96E9-C0CAEEED3CB3.jpeg

11B07031-3654-4D39-864A-BBE98B38327C.jpeg

I can’t tell if it’s because I’m being influenced by current trends that favor not-so-light shades, or if lighter colors like these were never optimal and I’m just now realizing it.

Or maybe they are still cool and I just need to find better ways to wear them?

Also, semi-related, wondering if these John Lobb Lopez loafers are too dressy for casual wear. Debating selling them and just getting some black Weejuns, which somehow feel more at home in a non-CM fit? Could be wrong!

BA35A330-456C-4383-8D39-0599C413D795.jpeg

I also feel like I rarely see brown loafers in casual fits, and mainly black?

Thanks for listening to my random shoe thoughts.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the Thuyas I have in the same color as beaters that look better with wear and with any denim or I suppose chino. I like the Viberge and have some Virgils in the same color I wear regularly with denim, etc.
Those last white ones, I don’t know what’s going on there.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone wear chestnut / tan shoes anymore?

I’m cleaning out my closet and these are all on the chopping block. I find I barely reach for them anymore.

View attachment 1623934
View attachment 1623935
View attachment 1623936

I can’t tell if it’s because I’m being influenced by current trends that favor not-so-light shades, or if lighter colors like these were never optimal and I’m just now realizing it.

Or maybe they are still cool and I just need to find better ways to wear them?

Also, semi-related, wondering if these John Lobb Lopez loafers are too dressy for casual wear. Debating selling them and just getting some black Weejuns, which somehow feel more at home in a non-CM fit? Could be wrong!

View attachment 1623937

I also feel like I rarely see brown loafers in casual fits, and mainly black?

Thanks for listening to my random shoe thoughts.
I think the nude Chelsea boots are still a good choice with black denim. The loafers don't look very "dressy" imo

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think tan shoes can work in an outfit. I just think they're a bit more specific in very tailored, classic outfits. But in some aesthetics, they may even work better than mid- or dark brown shoes.

I recently bought a pair of Tecovas ropers. I originally ordered the dark brown version, but the company accidentally sent me the tan. When I received them, I was surprised to find how much I like them. I think the color looks good underneath blue jeans.

stockton-how-we-make-em.jpeg

There's an actor/ vlogger I follow named CJ Cook. He often wears Westernwear/ cowboy type fits and incorporates a lot of tan shoes. I think the color works really well in that aesthetic.

167051771_260969699099962_8222399840160673594_n.jpg
160024538_1450798931947318_6921321512183429804_n.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads