• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of I+W's graphic tees and I love it. I don't find the quality to be an issue at all; they're meant to have that "vintage tee" feel to them. Broken-in, soft, a bit thinner. If you're expecting a heavier duty tee on the level of 3Sixteen, Lady White Co., etc., then you'll be disappointed. If you want a soft, cozy tee, then these are great.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of I+W's graphic tees and I love it. I don't find the quality to be an issue at all; they're meant to have that "vintage tee" feel to them. Broken-in, soft, a bit thinner. If you're expecting a heavier duty tee on the level of 3Sixteen, Lady White Co., etc., then you'll be disappointed. If you want a soft, cozy tee, then these are great.
I just found the graphic tees to be even shorter than their color block tees. Color block tees I like a lot but the cut is different on the graphic ones

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heyyy I watched another movie.

L'Amour l'après midi aka Chloe in the Afternoon (Eric Rohmer, 1972). A moral tale about turtlenecks and temptation.

Protagonist loooves a good black tnecked 3-pcs suit (CM double yikes, the 70s etc). Directional.

1.jpg

Good leg volume (+ good heel height)

2.jpg

Shopping for... turtlenecks

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

A shirt at last (also actually a plot point, fashion matters here ...)

17.jpg

18.jpg

Style diagonal

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

24.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

38.jpg

The end.

Two things I noticed. Freaking massive belts with suits (see above) and comically deep center vent on the jackets. Not sure if it's a period thing or a designer's idiosyncrasy (suits by Daniel Hechter for the curious).

26.jpg

Random trivia, there's an US remake directed by Chris Rock

armellod.e

Reaction score

L'Amour l'après midi aka Chloe in the Afternoon (Eric Rohmer, 1972). A moral tale about turtlenecks and temptation.
One of my faves. You might already know but it was big inspiration for Lemaire AW19 (the suits, tnecks, pajamas, etc). There was a viscose shirt modeled after one in La Collectionneuse too.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I+W tee talk: I have an old blue tee from them. Very soft, very thin. I have two graphic tees from them (born to lose & hot sauce devil) and they’re pleasantly a little thicker. In terms of construction, it’s a tee, it’s fine. what am I supposed to expect? I do like how the necks on the tees age in their wash process. Oh and I also like their dead Mickey graphic

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Protagonist loooves a good black tnecked 3-pcs suit (CM double yikes, the 70s etc). Directional.

View attachment 1609518

Good leg volume (+ good heel height)

View attachment 1609519

Shopping for... turtlenecks

View attachment 1609520

View attachment 1609521

View attachment 1609522

View attachment 1609523

View attachment 1609525

View attachment 1609526

View attachment 1609527

View attachment 1609528

A shirt at last (also actually a plot point, fashion matters here ...)

View attachment 1609529

View attachment 1609530

Style diagonal

View attachment 1609531

View attachment 1609532

View attachment 1609533

View attachment 1609534

View attachment 1609536

View attachment 1609537

View attachment 1609540

The end.

Two things I noticed. Freaking massive belts with suits (see above) and comically deep center vent on the jackets. Not sure if it's a period thing or a designer's idiosyncrasy (suits by Daniel Hechter for the curious).

View attachment 1609541

Random trivia, there's an US remake directed by Chris Rock

Henry Stewart used to make suits like that. Broad, padded shoulders, slim waist, long skirt, and a very high vent.

Some young guy once found a Henry Stewart suit in the attic of some Connecticut home. The suit was made for Paul Newman.

This photo doesn't show the vent, but it's likely as high as the one in that movie.

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 2.00.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 2.00.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 2.00.51 PM.png

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newman of any era is obviously a style icon, but “Color of Money” era Newman (assuming that suit was for the film) is just truly superhuman levels of swag. Can’t easily find a picture of the DB camel overcoat he wears in that movie but it’s just otherworldly.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my faves. You might already know but it was big inspiration for Lemaire AW19 (the suits, tnecks, pajamas, etc). There was a viscose shirt modeled after one in La Collectionneuse too.

That's pretty cool, I had no idea actually. Costume design on Rohmer's film is always on point, very solid through the 90s too (same for Rivette, Gang of Four is 10/10 on fashion). And Lemaire referencing of 70s and 80s fashion is unparalleled imo, just the right balance.

Henry Stewart used to make suits like that. Broad, padded shoulders, slim waist, long skirt, and a very high vent.

Some young guy once found a Henry Stewart suit in the attic of some Connecticut home. The suit was made for Paul Newman.

This photo doesn't show the vent, but it's likely as high as the one in that movie.

Slim waist long skirt jackets are awesome (with structured but not too broad shoulders pls). I think that's the thing I like the most about 70s tailoring, or at least my patchy notion of it. I'd wear it, big vent and all.

Still, so strange looking...

22.jpg

motosacto

Reaction score
I watched that movie recently, didn’t like it. Which is very surprising since Scorsese directed it, cruise and Newman. Newman even won best supporting actor there.

If you haven’t already, go back and watch The Hustler. It’s “only” about a 25 year time difference, but the clothing and film aesthetic makes it feel like a different universe...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads