• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not that deep. Glad to see there are people who get it/don’t give a **** on this forum.

As a ***/queerdo who has been buying **** marketed towards women for over a decade I haven’t really batted an eye at any of the things I’ve seen on Harry Styles, Ezra Miller, Bad Bunny etc in the last few years. It’s really nothing new when you think about the deity in my avatar or someone like Bowie.

People are just not giving a **** anymore. This is a good thing.
Totally support all this but it’s also okay for @FlyingMonkey to say, just wondering where this particular trend started.

YoungM

Reaction score
I said something in WAYWT but @Go Surface said it better right there.

I like that you linked it to wide pants. Personally, I don't understand how anyone can spend a substantial period of time interested in clothes and not realize that taste (for most people, at least) is an amorphous ever-changing blob heavily influenced by outside forces. Years into reading SF, I struggled with wide pants. Now, the classic 09 stacked taper looks dated and odd to me. I didn't make a choice there.

I remind myself of how flimsy taste is every time something pops up (madras shirts, safari jackets) that I find irredeemably ugly. Sometimes my opinion doesn't change, but a lot of times it does.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally support all this but it’s also okay for @FlyingMonkey to say, just wondering where this particular trend started.

absolutely
E1B3E5FA-81F3-4AEF-8D5E-DC779A5C3A60.gif

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Need some professional legal opinions to build a case for potentially lost internet clout.

Did Throwing Fits pull a @dieworkwear and rip my joke from Styleforum?

OG (04/25/21):
1620705372819.png

Throwing Fits (05/05/21):
1620705720511.png

If so, this is a serious offense and I believe I'm indebted a minimum of 100 Instagram followers or a Starbuck's gift card.

Please advise.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you with kids old enough to be aware that their dad is into clothes - do your kids think you look cool or super lame?
My 15 yo son loves the way I dress, especially my EG stuff. I've already handed over a few Japanese cut shirts from momotaro that are tight in the chest. I've also mostly persuaded him that Edwin's EU brand and Carhartt WIP are good vfm until he starts earning a living.

We disagree about streetwear hoodies, t shirts and sneakers, needless to say.

He's more than come around on music, too. He's a pretty serious guitarist and can lay down some SRV licks as well as John Prine and even some Wes Montgomery. No prefab pop/rap at all...

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quite. I find it interesting that some people assume that the question has something to do with a problem with queerness. Without getting too personal, believe me, that isn't any kind of an issue for me. It's just that s a sociologist and historian, I'm interested in the specific associations and history here - sorry, @Go Surface, but some people do think that do give a **** in an intellectual sense - which is not the same as having a problem with something!

As people have pointed out it's a long time since men wore pearls regularly and that was a very niche, upper class style, nothing to do with the vast majority of people. In recent years, where I come from (UK not the USA), pearls were very much associated with a certain kind of very conservative, upper- /middle class woman - think Margaret Thatcher. In other words, not cool, indeed the opposite of everything cool.

Of course that in itself might explain it - recapture, repurposing etc.. And the truly excessive use of pearls in huge overlapping strands, I think really achieves this and it's truly, flamboyantly queer or at least camp (which are of course not necessarily the same things). However, for me, the single string of pearls worn over whatever you would have worn anyway can't shake the Margaret Thatcher associations - it doesn't come across as transgressive or queer or camp, it just looks awkward. But that's to me, almost 50, with my archaic British politcal / class associations. I realise I'm in a minority on a US-based forum, where most people are at least 20 years younger.

armellod.e

Reaction score
Zoomer perspective: nobody (cool) cares. Most Gen Z in their early 20s have Gen X parents. I hardly knew any, if any, adult women wearing pearls growing up. They're literally just a shiny thing. Seems barely different from "masculine" silver jewelry. Somebody mentioned before the "connotations" or something, no idea what that was about. I would compare them to cat eye sunglasses. Not that weird.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Quite. I find it interesting that some people assume that the question has something to do with a problem with queerness. Without getting too personal, believe me, that isn't any kind of an issue for me. It's just that s a sociologist and historian, I'm interested in the specific associations and history here - sorry, @Go Surface, but some people do think that do give a **** in an intellectual sense - which is not the same as having a problem with something!

As people have pointed out it's a long time since men wore pearls regularly and that was a very niche, upper class style, nothing to do with the vast majority of people. In recent years, where I come from (UK not the USA), pearls were very much associated with a certain kind of very conservative, upper- /middle class woman - think Margaret Thatcher. In other words, not cool, indeed the opposite of everything cool.

Of course that in itself might explain it - recapture, repurposing etc.. And the truly excessive use of pearls in huge overlapping strands, I think really achieves this and it's truly, flamboyantly queer or at least camp (which are of course not necessarily the same things). However, for me, the single string of pearls worn over whatever you would have worn anyway can't shake the Margaret Thatcher associations - it doesn't come across as transgressive or queer or camp, it just looks awkward. But that's to me, almost 50, with my archaic British politcal / class associations. I realise I'm in a minority on a US-based forum, where most people are at least 20 years younger.

I have the exact same associations. I almost think I'm 7 years old and @rokor will lecture me about proper fork usage (we wouldn't want to have the table manners of THOSE people). I'm sure associations can change and I see the connection with entertainers and androgyny (more like queering of the male wardrobe really tbh) and I'm not offended by it or anything but I don't even like pearls on women in most cases (earrings are fine).

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 15 yo son loves the way I dress, especially my EG stuff. I've already handed over a few Japanese cut shirts from momotaro that are tight in the chest. I've also mostly persuaded him that Edwin's EU brand and Carhartt WIP are good vfm until he starts earning a living.

We disagree about streetwear hoodies, t shirts and sneakers, needless to say.

He's more than come around on music, too. He's a pretty serious guitarist and can lay down some SRV licks as well as John Prine and even some Wes Montgomery. No prefab pop/rap at all...

My kid is 17 and I've been hands-off with him about clothes and music, but I wonder how he will figure out how to dress later in life given that (at least where I live) they all just wear workout clothes. In contrast, we were all trying to look like mods from Quadrophenia when I was 13.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads