• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Oh geez, wait till he hears about all of the shenanigans happening in tech!

I worked for a tech startup that was funded by one of the "premier" VC firms in Silicon Valley, a name everyone who knows VC would recognize.

Our lead investor was himself a famous VC; he also chaired the board of one of the world's largest tech companies. He personally selected our CEO and provided seed money and office space to start our company.

Our CEO was a Stanford MBA who had been an SVP at another one of the world's largest tech companies.

Said CEO:

- lied to the board about the company's finances (an investment round audit raised the initial red flags)

- built an addition to his home on the company dime

- took his family on a luxury vacation to Bora Bora on the company dime

- kept his wife on the payroll for 6 months after she started working somewhere else

Within a year they'd laid everyone off, sold the remaining IP and pretended that the whole thing never happened. I tried to get a journalist interested in the story but nobody who really knew anything was willing to go on the record.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It turns out the term “muzak” has a history.

2F6709E2-EEB8-4964-A683-00648B7A87FB.jpeg
933CBBB0-E5C3-4FF1-AAE2-3A9E26803C15.jpeg
50958F9D-1555-45B1-AED2-374057E23523.jpeg
59E61269-5BA1-4B17-9D0A-E739B4A630FB.jpeg
3F78753D-9CEF-48AF-AFDF-0822CAEF2095.jpeg

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the obvious answer being I no longer trust how they run their company. If their CFO embezzled money for 8 yrs without anyone noticing then they don’t deserve to be supported. I try to support companies with some sort of ethical backbone which Alden clearly lacks. A shame too because I love my shell cordovan bal cap toes

no dude you can’t blacklist Alden because of one bad apple.

overall it’s a real good company and they didn’t steal from customers he stole from the employees not any better of course.

if Alden did some shady **** (think TOJ) as a company I can understand but this case of anything Alden are a victim of a POS scum bag CFO.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked for a tech startup that was funded by one of the "premier" VC firms in Silicon Valley, a name everyone who knows VC would recognize.

Our lead investor was himself a famous VC; he also chaired the board of one of the world's largest tech companies. He personally selected our CEO and provided seed money and office space to start our company.

Our CEO was a Stanford MBA who had been an SVP at another one of the world's largest tech companies.

Said CEO:

- lied to the board about the company's finances (an investment round audit raised the initial red flags)

- built an addition to his home on the company dime

- took his family on a luxury vacation to Bora Bora on the company dime

- kept his wife on the payroll for 6 months after she started working somewhere else

Within a year they'd laid everyone off, sold the remaining IP and pretended that the whole thing never happened. I tried to get a journalist interested in the story but nobody who really knew anything was willing to go on the record.

Sorry to hear that man, I feel like I've been very lucky the the startups I worked for, both in terms of ethical behavior and company culture.

meanwhile, @troika ever find that signet ring ?

I ended up getting a milgrain wedding ring, and about two years ago I got the most perfect signet from the hometown homies at Studebaker Metals from Pittsburgh.

Here's the link: https://studebakermetals.com/collections/rings/products/signet-ring

I did a custom order to get them to polish their matte look just a little bit more, so it sits in that perfect space of slightly distressed, but also not completely matte like I work at a factory...

20210430_201742.jpg

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man, I feel like I've been very lucky the the startups I worked for, both in terms of ethical behavior and company culture.

I ended up getting a milgrain wedding ring, and about two years ago I got the most perfect signet from the hometown homies at Studebaker Metals from Pittsburgh.

Here's the link: https://studebakermetals.com/collections/rings/products/signet-ring

I did a custom order to get them to polish their matte look just a little bit more, so it sits in that perfect space of slightly distressed, but also not completely matte like I work at a factory...

View attachment 1602583
Very cool. Was there an upcharge for that? I've looked at their rings many times and that's the one thing that's kept me from buying - polished too shiny and the matte looks like you found it on the ground somewhere

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool. Was there an upcharge for that? I've looked at their rings many times and that's the one thing that's kept me from buying - polished too shiny and the matte looks like you found it on the ground somewhere

Nah, they just did whatever and custom sized too. They're kind of acquaintances though, so I don't know if they'd normally charge. Give them a shout, they are super super nice people. I did something similar with a cuff, where I toned down some of their finishing, and it also turned out fabulously.

I agree though, in general, polished stuff is just too extra for me, and the weathered stuff feels like stolen valor. Other times I've seen the finish done well, the shape and styles weren't for me like werkstat munchen.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, is sterling, so you can sort of wait it out too (i get the crit, for sure, but it's like a 501 in a way sort of self tailors out the door is crispy tho)

super ring, really like it

index?

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't tell the CM dudes but I think this might be the one loafer

Aube.jpg

Or something adjacent...

Afraid I'm getting a bit bored with my armada of black loafers, I'm starting the feel the pull of increasingly snazzy and slightly dated designs. Nothing too tasteful hopefully...

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't tell the CM dudes but I think this might be the one loafer
between teal suede jackets and loagers with mustaches I am really struggling to envision your style
It turns out the term “muzak” has a history.
In high school I had a music history class who blessed us with learning about Mozart, rhapsodies, Michael Jackson, MC5, Jimmie Rodgers, and a host of other awesome music. And then he forced us to listen to "muzak" so we could dread the future when robots killed joy.
Not TOJ. I think TOJ stole from customers.
Still waiting for you to write a movie script we can crowdfund

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics