• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, the worst is when other parents ask for my advice because clearly something isn’t working in their relationship with their kid(s), and I give them thoughtful feedback, and then they just don’t do it and continue complaining about their kid(s).

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Any of you fellas know of a place that does custom dad/baseball hats? All I’m finding is the 1000 bulk type stores. I tried Nick Fuckit but they only do beaver and straw hats unfortunately

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He crowd sourced feedback while he was designing those so it was fun to see his process at work, and to occasionally see my suggestions in the finished product.

Then like a dork I didn't buy any because my wife thinks they're too itchy.
Pendleton blankets are hella itchy at first, it's not a nice sensation immediately. But after a month or so of regularly using them they soften up nicely. Tell your wife to embrace the concept that beauty is often painful

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a soon to be new dad, thank you for all of the advice.

How did you guys form your opinions on what was best? Books? Classes? Asking others? Intuition?

Before our oldest was born we got a bunch of parenting books from as gifts. I don't think we ever really cracked them other than to read up on some food/feeding questions in one particular book. We also took a 2-evening class with with some other soon-to-be first time parents taught by a nurse my wife's OBGYN recommended, but it was more about what to expect during delivery and the first week or so of parenthood. Helpful, but not particularly in-depth.

Other than that we sort of just winged it and would call my mom, older sister, or MIL when we had a question but even that only happened a couple of times (the biggest ask was when we called my sister to come over because we were scared to give our oldest her first bath at home and needed a refresher.

I think a lot more of it came down to intuition. Humans have been raising kids for thousands of years without books or classes or hired experts. Once the baby arrives, a lot more of the "what to do?" answers will probably just come to you and you'll know pretty quickly by the kid's reaction as to whether or not you're doing something wrong.

One thing that made it less stressful for us was that we didn't really have a bunch of aunts or friends offering unsolicited (and probably always conflicting) advice and we live just far enough from any of our parents that we never had to worry about them randomly just popping in. I can only imagine that that just adds to the stress that a lot of new parents feel.

I think we've done pretty good with our kids so I feel like we've done something right... but we've still got many years to try to screw them up.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
774126DC-0A7A-46B5-ABEA-CF151A0247E8.jpeg

This is what every asshole in the Alden thread looks like

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads