• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in before someone groans “don’t bring politics into it!” from the comfort of their man cave (in response to someone pointing out the political import of something someone else posted)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know what kind of stitch is used to secure the edge of the patch here? Is this done with a darning foot on a sewing machine?

And is this something any local tailor can do, or do you have to send the jeans to the same specialty shops that darn crotch blowouts?

patch.jpeg
patch3.jpeg

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know what kind of stitch is used to secure the edge of the patch here? Is this done with a darning foot on a sewing machine?

And is this something any local tailor can do, or do you have to send the jeans to the same specialty shops that darn crotch blowouts?

View attachment 1592162 View attachment 1592161
It looks to me to just be a regular zig zag stitch on a normal sewing machine. Some machines have it, some can only straight stitch. You could also do that on a darning foot freehand I think, but the regularity of the zig zag and straight lines look like they just did a simple zig zag using the foot to feed through.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep it's just a typical zig zag it looks like. I use it the same way often in repairs. I like going back and forth when using it to create a pretty strong repair and give some visual chaos with a repair.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
That sketch would be funny if it didn’t suggest that Black people are the scariest people.

yeah clearly he's never felt the wrath of a grandma with a rolling pin.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any other denim heads picking these up (or the red cast)? Could make for a fun fade comparison

https://www.blueowl.us/collections/...denim-high-tapered-fit?variant=39286792912954

I cashed in my "points" from Blue Owl and bought these dark indigo Secret Denim jeans, but in the clean straight cut. Hopefully I'll have them tomorrow or Thursday (I always like how fast BOW can hem a pair of jeans and get them shipped out).

FWIW, my Samurai Cotton Project jeans are 17 ounce and didn't feel all that stiff when I go them and took next to no time to break in comfortably. I thought 17 ounces sounded insanely heavy when I bought them last fall but they've been great from day 1.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Pretty much every industrial machine does one job. I'd ask your tailor if they have a machine that can do zig-zag or accordion. It's not used too much in construction of new garments as a serger will be used for a raw edge. But it does get used in some cases for stretch fabrics as well as load bearing things like bags and... sails... and a tailor might use it in some places. Never know what machines they may have. I like the look there of the repair and the tone on tone patch.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1592162 View attachment 1592161
Self Edge does actual darning to rebuild the denim. But, if I want to just patch denim in the crotch area, I take a chambray or denim scrap to back the hole, and sew over it a bunch of times with a standard sewing machine.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cashed in my "points" from Blue Owl and bought these dark indigo Secret Denim jeans, but in the clean straight cut. Hopefully I'll have them tomorrow or Thursday (I always like how fast BOW can hem a pair of jeans and get them shipped out).

FWIW, my Samurai Cotton Project jeans are 17 ounce and didn't feel all that stiff when I go them and took next to no time to break in comfortably. I thought 17 ounces sounded insanely heavy when I bought them last fall but they've been great from day 1.
Hell yeah! I am stoked for us both then.

Honestly I am not super worried about them being too stiff. 1) jeans seem to soften pretty quick and 2) given they are one wash I am guessing they'll be softer than I would expect.

BOW is great, they're super quick and nice. Mine should be here tomorrow I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads