• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paying $300 more for an item that looks nearly identical to what everyone else is wearing just so you can have the smug satisfaction of knowing that your item isn't technically and actually the same is peak StyleForum.

Could be worse, you could pay thousands for something and have it sit for decades unworn!

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Could be worse, you could pay thousands for something and have it sit for decades unworn!

how did you know my secret

giphy.gif

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paying $300 more for an item that looks nearly identical to what everyone else is wearing just so you can have the smug satisfaction of knowing that your item isn't technically and actually the same is peak StyleForum.

I dunno man, I wouldn't jump to conclusions that quick.

I have the 550s cuz I wanted the nicer lining, which are $200 + shipping. Gardeners are widely available for $330 shipped. So definitely more expensive, but not $300 more.

RMW have superior leather quality inside and out and are resoleable (not that I will actually take advantage of this since I don't wear out any of my shoes). Nice to have. The RMW profile is not as bulbous, and is a bit sleeker, so it's a nice option when you don't wanna look like you're about to start gardening. For me, the Gardener sole is actually more comfortable, and because they're sleeker, easier to drive in and wear with a larger variety of outfits.

Take a cheap shot if you want, but for others reading, it's not about the vanity of brand. It's a better shoe in every way.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dunno man, I wouldn't jump to conclusions that quick.

I have the 550s cuz I wanted the nicer lining, which are $200 + shipping. Gardeners are widely available for $330 shipped. So definitely more expensive, but not $300 more.

RMW have superior leather quality inside and out and are resoleable (not that I will actually take advantage of this since I don't wear out any of my shoes). Nice to have. The RMW profile is not as bulbous, and is a bit sleeker, so it's a nice option when you don't wanna look like you're about to start gardening. For me, the Gardener sole is actually more comfortable, and because they're sleeker, easier to drive in and wear with a larger variety of outfits.

Take a cheap shot if you want, but for others reading, it's not about the vanity of brand. It's a better shoe in every way.

My comment was just a joke. I'm all for paying more money for absurdly small differences. Smug satisfaction is all I have.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
I have a friend who wears blundstones but they only last him about a year before the sole separates to an unwearable point. Is this the norm for those of you who wear them or does he just wear them particularly hard?

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who wears blundstones but they only last him about a year before the sole separates to an unwearable point. Is this the norm for those of you who wear them or does he just wear them particularly hard?

Your friend goes hard. I'm about half a year in with regular wear and they don't show any signs of falling apart any time soon

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did the import duty threshold for the US change? I remember it being $800 and I ordered a coat from the UK that ended up being $750 and I just got a notice from UPS that they are charging me duties.

Could maybe be the shipping costs on top putting it over the threshold?

Not sure how it works in the US but in Europe the final value on which duties are calculated is the item value + postage fees (even when shipping is "free" for you as a customer I'm pretty sure)

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually the store forgot to subtract a discount on the customs invoice that brought it under the threshold. I sent an email with copies of the receipt and PayPal charge and UPS struck the fees (which were 33% of the price!!!). Was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they responded.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Actually the store forgot to subtract a discount on the customs invoice that brought it under the threshold. I sent an email with copies of the receipt and PayPal charge and UPS struck the fees (which were 33% of the price!!!). Was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they responded.

This is a recurring issue for me. EU store will deduct the VAT from my bill, but then include it in the declared value. The effect compounds as you then pay duty on the vat-inclusive price, and domestic tax on top of that.

MythReindeer

Reaction score
I bought some NOS made in USA Dickies a while back--the pandemic has been a weird journey in all sorts of ways, I guess. The fabric seems nicer (same material makeup as now), the rise is higher, the fit is better for me, and they even have fabric to let out in the waist. I like them a lot! It was a fairly ridiculous thing to buy but they're a fun peek into how things get worse, every time.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@upsett1_spaghett1 I would have flagged this earlier today when this sale went live but I was in meetings all day. There were two other model chelseas in other colors, but only this suede one remains

Based on the measurements, I think these fit like a US 12, but I could be way off. Fok commented they're high volume but not particularly long. @g transistor likes them (or did).

If this is way too big for you, I'd still recommend Feit chelseas as another option, although not sure they'll make them again. A quick search reveals

These (not navigable on their site but there is a 42 left): https://www.feitdirect.com/products/mfcrl-brn?variant=32730647298095

These: https://www.abfits.com/m-shoes/feit-chelsea-rubber-suede

These: https://www.tiinathestore.com/products/feit-chelsea-boot-tan

although paying those prices I'm sure stings when compared to sample sale price.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
How do folks deal with the cognitive dissonance of looking up to people who don't care much for clothing, don't spend thousands on it every year, and dress super vanilla?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads