• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To complicate things, some French shoemakers use UK sizing for their shoes (e.g. 9 not 43).

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
To complicate things, some French shoemakers use UK sizing for their shoes (e.g. 9 not 43).

I think Berluti and JM Weston both did that but I may be mistaken, haven't shopped there recently. There's the sizing of who makes the shoes, where the name brand is based and where the boutique is based and all this stuff can interact in the most annoying way possible.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heschung for example uses 8, 9, 10...

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Corthay uses American sizing which I find baffling. (Technically they use their own sizing per last, which mostly seems to correspond to American sizing. Sneakers seem to correspond to UK sizing though. ?)

Last edited:

abkain

Reaction score
This may have been discussed elsewhere but from his IG account is looks like Aaron Levine was just recently let go as SVP of design for mens and womenswear at Abercrombie. A&F may not be exactly be an SF approved brand but I liked the direction they were going in the last few seasons with the camp collar shirts, retro polos, shorts, heavyweight flannels, etc. Looking forward to see what he does next.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This may have been discussed elsewhere but from his IG account is looks like Aaron Levine was just recently let go as SVP of design for mens and womenswear at Abercrombie. A&F may not be exactly be an SF approved brand but I liked the direction they were going in the last few seasons with the camp collar shirts, retro polos, shorts, heavyweight flannels, etc. Looking forward to see what he does next.

I'm actually scheduling an interview with him right now. If anyone has questions they want asked, let me know.

I'm a big fan of his work, his personal style, and his IG page. Since he's been designing clothes for so long, I'm planning to ask him the usual questions around what he thinks is the future of brick and mortar, the middle price tier of fashion, and sustainability/ the pace of fashion. If people have other ideas for questions, I'd love to hear them.

abkain

Reaction score
Isn’t all that stuff coming back Hilfiger, Champs etc

I suppose in a general way - yes. Lots of brands returning to those styles. I guess I just look at Levine as someone who is a little more plugged into the type of fashions I follow than the people running some of the other brands in that similar mass-market-mall-brand category. For the first time in like 25 years I found myself seeing things at Abercrombie that actually looked cool. For me, this often means I can test out a style I am new to or have marginal interest in without spending a lot for the experiment.

abkain

Reaction score
I'm actually scheduling an interview with him right now. If anyone has questions they want asked, let me know.

I'm a big fan of his work, his personal style, and his IG page. Since he's been designing clothes for so long, I'm planning to ask him the usual questions around what he thinks is the future of brick and mortar, the middle price tier of fashion, and sustainability/ the pace of fashion. If people have other ideas for questions, I'd love to hear them.
That’s fantastic and I think those type of questions are perfect for someone with his experience and insight. Looking forward to reading the interview!

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He seems to be really into thrifting. I'd be curious to hear more about that and how it has informed his own designs. It would be interesting to hear if any specific thrift finds were particularly inspiring for him.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’m sure it has something to do with my own perspective on this industry, but I’m always very interested in understanding if and how designers like APL think about (multi-brand) retailers and their role in building brands, finding the right balance between wholesale and DTC to ensure their style is incorporated and interpreted beyond the glossiness of brand lookbooks and a tight control on image.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait...

You’re saying that if I shave my head and keep the beard, I’ll look like someone who fists twinks in a Berlin nightclub?

And this is...the first association someone not Fuuma will have?

BlakeRVA

Reaction score

Hearing how mid-tier stores like Abercrombie think about trends and forecasting would be neat.

1.) How do they evaluate trends?
2.) Under what circumstances do they begin thinking a high fashion trend could be more mainstream?
3.) What sources do they use to ensure they're staying ahead of the curve?
4.) How do they spot a trend early on?

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
I feel like APL doesn't wear the well-crafted clothing from niche Japanese and Italian brands that you see around here so often, but at the same time embodies that sort of laid-back and stylish DILF vibe a lot of SFites are going for.

Maybe I'm projecting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads