• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought Barbanera is all UK sizing now, the blake stuff runs narrow while the gyw boot runs big not sure about gyw shoe?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Ah I thought my TF Boots were Jodhpurs. I have one in Chelsea and hands down the best boot I have quality wise

DB735F3D-A0F1-4C79-A3A0-A752B6A7A3E5.jpeg

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
TF Chelsea is like what $2k?

Got a great deal on it on Italist. Same as my other TF Boots. While it was sold out on Mr.Porter....on Italist they had a full size range at over 55% off retail

Italist/Poshmark/Glamood are like my new circa 09 YOOX for great deals

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
You mean UK sized, right? EU sizes run in the 30s and 40s. And UK sizes are officially a full size down from US, although sometimes in practice they are and a half size down, which is super confusing...

European sizes don't really exist either. The most common sizing is Italian (what is usually called european) but french sizing is one size lower (i.e. a 41 french is a 42 italian).

French sizing: Each point represents 0,666cm
Italian: same but +1 to the final size
UK:each point is 1/3"
US: I think it is +0.75 men +2,75( women added to UK but I think it varies because **** you that's why.
Japan: straight up lenght in centimeters., just check where they measure and you're good to go

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
We did not know this, Dude.

Can I add that shops will often use a different sizing than the one inside the shoes to help you out, further complicating the issue. I.e. the shoe is in italian sizing but they tell you the french sizing (most people don't know there is a difference anyway)cause you're in France, or they don't. I've also see shoes produced in Italy for non Uk companies sizing in what seems to be UK just because well, once again, because **** you.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
wow no wonder all my french shoes are a size smaller

I thought it was just inconsistency, which I guess it is, but I had no idea there was a method to the madness

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
European sizes don't really exist either. The most common sizing is Italian (what is usually called european) but french sizing is one size lower (i.e. a 41 french is a 42 italian).

French sizing: Each point represents 0,666cm
Italian: same but +1 to the final size
UK:each point is 1/3"
US: I think it is +0.75 men +2,75( women added to UK but I think it varies because **** you that's why.
Japan: straight up lenght in centimeters., just check where they measure and you're good to go

Thus confirms my longheld suspicion: French sizing does exist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads