• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I for no good reason, hate Viberg. Can’t stand the lasts, can’t stand the marketing, and can’t stand the boys fawning over the 7th pair of cordovan service boots. Don’t know why, it’s full irrationality on my part.

When it comes to zipped boots and workwear, I’m more partially to all the avant garde brands like guidi, carpe, whatever whatever
I don't own any Viberg boots. They seem to be extremely expensive for what reason I don't know. Are they any better than Rancourt which are half the cost?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't even know to be honest, I'm not even one to talk about "value" in clothes. If ya like the design then go for it, but their most popular shoe, the service boot, is just the most boring white bread boot I have ever seen. Something about the last, even Alden, who purposely makes white bread shoes, have more interesting makes ups and lasts being pumped out by different stores. Again this is my opinion, and I am 100% wrong because Viberg is wildly popular.

However, I would be happy to never see another ocbd, low rise/tapered raw denim, and Viberg service boots combo in my life.

ecerratic

Reaction score
However, I would be happy to never see another ocbd, low rise/tapered raw denim, and Viberg service boots combo in my life.

one thousand percent agree. And the same uninspired angle used for every social media post of their workwear boots they dare not wear if there’s a chance of rain.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't even know to be honest, I'm not even one to talk about "value" in clothes. If ya like the design then go for it, but their most popular shoe, the service boot, is just the most boring white bread boot I have ever seen. Something about the last, even Alden, who purposely makes white bread shoes, have more interesting makes ups and lasts being pumped out by different stores. Again this is my opinion, and I am 100% wrong because Viberg is wildly popular.

Co-signed. I've owned Vibergs too, so I can speak from experience. They're all a little meh for the cost to me, and I still don't understand the idea of a 'sleek' work boot in the 2030 last. That said, I do love Alden cause of the boring old fashioned American company vibe. However, they're significantly older than Viberg and like you mentioned a lot of retailers are doing a wide variety of make ups in recent years.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize the fetishistic frottage that I am unleashing in asking this, but what is the appropriate shaft width for a zip boot? Related is the concept of instep and the general silhouette of a boot. I suppose I am looking for a boot that is rounded enough to wear with workwear while preserving some sleekness, which I suppose I associate with having a shaft and instep that follow closely the curve from my ankle to foot.

It seems to me that this pair do so for the wearer:

View attachment 1570337
View attachment 1570338

Whereas these are the same model on me:

View attachment 1570340
View attachment 1570341

The appeal of the Savas is in part their slimmer ankle and softer leather which is more likely to lay against curvature of the foot.

View attachment 1570342

So maybe I should just get the Savas?

I don't think the shaft has anything to do with it. It's about the length and hem width. It doesn't seem like the viberg are going to be a problem.

If you want those stacks, you need a stronger taper and a longer length.

But fwiw, I prefer the short and wider hem.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I for no good reason, hate Viberg. Can’t stand the lasts, can’t stand the marketing, and can’t stand the boys fawning over the 7th pair of cordovan service boots. Don’t know why, it’s full irrationality on my part.

When it comes to zipped boots and workwear, I’m more partially to all the avant garde brands like guidi, carpe, whatever whatever

i don’t like Viberg at all TBH. Never seen a pair I’d want except the side zip I linked. R/Goodyear welt has a lot of posts of the lace ups which I consider a snooze.

i like Alden far more, a shell cordovan plain to lace up from Alden looks much better than any viberg.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If ya like the design then go for it, but their most popular shoe, the service boot, is just the most boring white bread boot I have ever seen. Something about the last, even Alden, who purposely makes white bread shoes, have more interesting makes ups and lasts being pumped out by different stores. Again this is my opinion, and I am 100% wrong because Viberg is wildly popular.

Co-signed. I've owned Vibergs too, so I can speak from experience. They're all a little meh for the cost to me, and I still don't understand the idea of a 'sleek' work boot in the 2030 last. That said, I do love Alden cause of the boring old fashioned American company vibe. However, they're significantly older than Viberg and like you mentioned a lot of retailers are doing a wide variety of make ups in recent years.

The older Viberg models definitely belong to circa-2008 #menswear and Male Fashion Advice today. But so does Alden. However, Alden doesn't do a side-zip.

At least you approve of the design!

I don't think the shaft has anything to do with it. It's about the length and hem width. It doesn't seem like the viberg are going to be a problem.

If you want those stacks, you need a stronger taper and a longer length.

But fwiw, I prefer the short and wider hem.

I think I was asking from the collar-roll-spalla-camicia perspective. As in, considering the thing in and of itself, what are the aesthetic details most desired by the Doucherati. I am very impressionable, after all.

I'm less about stacks these days and do tend to wear my pants rolled up, but agree with @cocostella that boots like these could do with there being a bit of a break.

------------

Still undecided on these vs. the Savas. Although I do think these Vibergs are handsome boots and have had a very positive experience with Division Road, I may just order the Savas, although their return policy is unappealing.

I suppose if anyone is also contemplating a Savas purchase, if you await mine we may be able to work something out should they not work for me (I could exchange for your size and provide at some kind of discount).

Edit: Savas got back to me right as I posted this and agreed to allow a return if they don't work out. So I'm placing the order.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading this article on debranding (simplifying logos and branding) and was struck by the fact that all fashion brand logos are ending up looking the same

1615309058664.png

I feel that we're experiencing this in e-commerce as well. Every site looks the same. We had a few comments to our website feedback survey a few weeks ago that basically say "your site should look like Ssense" or "your site should look like Mr Porter" and I find that interesting because these are the website versions of all those same black sans serif fashion logos (especially Ssense). No one said "look more like Oi Polloi"

?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads