• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If all else fails, that sounds like something Uniqlo U current or past collections (at the usual places) might have

I never owned any Uniqlo U (or uniqlo). Is the quality good enough that I won't hate it? They have a pretty nice-looking dark gray coat in the SS collection.

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never owned any Uniqlo U (or uniqlo). Is the quality good enough that I won't hate it? They have a pretty nice-looking dark gray coat in the SS collection.

I ordered and returned it.
Its quite wide even for a relaxed fit raincoat and the fabric is stiff, so it does not drape well. But aside from somewhat cheap materials I think it could hold up well with wear.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Would you size down? Im typically an XL (193cm, ~90 kg), and like loose fitting stuff, but the measurements for the coat seem quite oversized.

I ordered and returned it.
Its quite wide even for a relaxed fit raincoat and the fabric is stiff, so it does not drape well. But aside from somewhat cheap materials I think it could hold up well with wear.

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Would you size down? Im typically an XL (193cm, ~90 kg), and like loose fitting stuff, but the measurements for the coat seem quite oversized.

I am 192cm, 87 kg and the L was roomy with some extra length in the sleeves. I think an L should be enough. IIRC the measurements are quite accurate.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the idea of mend and repair... big question I have is around the cultural codes of who "can" wear mended clothes and making mended and repaired more normalized across class lines and in more situations.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not a huge Uniqlo shopper in general and I can't speak about that specific coat but the few items I own turn out to be probably my most heavily worn stuff throughout the year and the quality has never been a problem. It's plain but well designed and holds up well, the fabrics are nothing mind blowing but the U stuff usually comes in interesting shades of color and doesn't feel 'cheap' compared to most designer clothes. I don't think I'm very picky though so ymmv.

Also, what is quality anyway...

kaizerpi

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Uniqlo U t-shirts. Cotton is nice mid-weight and not too tight. Colors are very tasteful as well, mostly duet to the influence of Christopher Lemaire. I wouldn't look down on it. The only issue if you're concerned about the source of their materials/labor.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe some good news on that front (though I'm not exactly up to date enough to know if it's much more than boiler plate PR stuff at this point).

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the idea of mend and repair... big question I have is around the cultural codes of who "can" wear mended clothes and making mended and repaired more normalized across class lines and in more situations.

Mended and slightly shabby clothes are peak old money, peak SWD and peak poor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads