• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me, right after Taibbi came out with that idiot-grade Marcuse piece and Greenwald tsk-tsked Ocasio-Cortez for not working with Cruz (both factually false—she attempted to work with him a few years ago—and insane, given his role in fomenting the mob on Jan 6)? The only thing Taibbi has going for him is a bracing writing style; Greenwald can't even muster that, and neither of them has any insight.

1) I haven't read the Marcuse piece, I don't really come to Taibbi for essays on intellectuals to be honest. Try reading I can't breathe, really good book on a topic you and I are probably ideologically aligned.
2) They're about the only two well known journalists in the US who have insights on security services info washing and enmeshing with the media, I guess it depends what you are concerned about.
3) I'm not all-in on some of their discussions of cancel culture but point two is waaaay more important in the grand scheme of things.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Greenwald was a big supporter of AOC's when she ran and at various other times. The fact that he's willing to criticize her when he thinks she's full of **** is a reason to like him, even if you disagree with him on individual issues. He's never repeating talking points. There's way too much in-crowd conformity in American journalism so I tend to applaud this kind of iconoclasm.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2) They're about the only two well known journalists in the US who have insights on security services info washing and enmeshing with the media, I guess it depends what you are concerned about.

Neither know that much, trust me (it's my field). What Greenwald knew was entirely down to Edward Snowden and pumping real researchers for information (I have first hand experience of this), and he has totally betrayed the legacy of the Snowden files now (somebody's got to him, or he's done a deal with someone). He's done some good work in Brazil on Bolsonaro, although I am reliably informed by my colleagues there that his Brazilian Portuguese is terrible for someone who has lived there as long as he has, and he clearly can't be working directly in the language.

Both are getting increasingy crotchety and conservative while still thinking they are radical, and they don't take criticism well. You might have thought that Taibi's Marcuse piece was by Dinesh D'Souza - it was that ignorant and alt-righty.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greenwald was a big supporter of AOC's when she ran and at various other times. The fact that he's willing to criticize her when he thinks she's full of **** is a reason to like him, even if you disagree with him on individual issues. He's never repeating talking points. There's way too much in-crowd conformity in American journalism so I tend to applaud this kind of iconoclasm.

He's gone increasingly off his rocker; it's not just a matter of disagreement but his pattern of misrepresentation, and his snide petulancy when people point out that he's speaking at best misleadingly and at worst in bad faith and falsely. (His hissy fit over facebook's actions following Jan 6th, for instance, when he said something that was narrowly true about where planning had taken place, but which was uninteresting when construed narrowly and was naturally taken more broadly.) @FlyingMonkey is right; they're both moving increasingly rightward in a culture-warrior sense, repeating HItchens's trajectory, basically, but more crudely.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is less surprising in Greenwald's case, because he's never really been on the left or even really a liberal; it's just that there are very few prominent examples of what he actually was, namely, a libertarian who actually cares about the use of state power against minorities and non–US citizens, which led him to criticize Bush when few others with his broad allegiances would. (Though the other big example of this kind of position, Radley Balko, I believe doesn't even call himself a libertarian anymore.)

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we have a Real McCoy's thread? Would anyone read it?

Thanks @Mghart !

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
Foamposite's on the runway

ultraExtendo

Reaction score
Foamposite's on the runway

I've never liked or understood the love for foamposites, but I honestly kind of like CDG's rendition of them. They finally updated the design and made it a bit more interesting. Never thought I'd ever see them on a runway of all places.

Still wouldn't wear em though...

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
1613939871334.png
1613939888500.png

That's one way to reinterpret Americana…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads