• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for velour tassel slippers*** 100 or less bones

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone following along, I also picked up a Real McCoy's loopwheel crewneck and these are the measurements after a cold wash and drying on a hanger:

Pre

- Chest: 22 1/8th"
- Shoulder: 20”
- Length (from hood seam): 27 3/8th"
- Arm (from shoulder seam to cuff): 25"

- Chest: 22.5"?
- Shoulder: 20.5”
- Length (from hood seam): 27 6/8th”
- Arm (from shoulder seam to cuff): 25 6/8th"

The chest measurement for the post-wash above may have been misreported.

After another cold wash and similar hang dry:

- Chest: 21.5"
- Shoulder: 20.5”
- Length (from hood seam): ~27"
- Arm (from shoulder seam to cuff): 25.5"

As an aside – just my two cents on life – everything shrinks.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We were starting the semester of Patternmaking with body measurements last week, and I realized I have the same upper body as the 5’11” guy and the lower body of the 6’6” guy. I’m 6’2” and apparently all legs.
I used to laugh at "fit models" until the design process became more clear. Patternmaking is the most "magic" step from what I've seen in the process of design and development. Going from 2D sketch to pattern to a 3D garment to a fitting to revising patterns and the cycle... just such a brilliant blend of art and technical skills. Maybe it's my lack of knowledge in the domain that makes it seem magic, but I'm always blown away by the skill set that can take a napkin sketch and make the blueprints for a garment out of it.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recs for point collar shirts with collars that are long enough that they tuck under lapels? Basically Tom Ford shirts but not $700. To be worn with a wide lapel tan corduroy sportcoat. Louche options would be interesting.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to laugh at "fit models" until the design process became more clear. Patternmaking is the most "magic" step from what I've seen in the process of design and development. Going from 2D sketch to pattern to a 3D garment to a fitting to revising patterns and the cycle... just such a brilliant blend of art and technical skills. Maybe it's my lack of knowledge in the domain that makes it seem magic, but I'm always blown away by the skill set that can take a napkin sketch and make the blueprints for a garment out of it.
It definitely is a lot of magic, and math. When I first made a jeans pattern solely based on my body measurements and the fit I wanted, I thought that the alterations just didn’t look realistic. But then, when I tried on the finished garment, my mind was ? by how perfectly the jeans fit, with the exact cut that I wanted. It’s so much fun.

qubit

Reaction score

So true. My wife is a pattern maker and even though I’ve watched her work many times I still can’t fathom how she takes literally a few lines from the designer, then using just a set of french curves, a pencil and a knife is able to make that result in the perfect physical embodiment of the sketch. To understand how the final fabric will behave, how to create the right structure and movement is beyond me especially for some of the more avant garde designers she has worked with.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not the same thing, but Hermes has some fleece jackets coming out for FW21 that vaguely feel reminiscent of that famous Cloak shearling. Given that it's Hermes, I imagine the price is going to be about the same as getting the Cloak.

hermes-fall-winter-2021-collection-runway-lookbook-menswear-12.jpg
141199782_248277633563348_3855530405764186462_n.jpg
142367886_727006934910685_5700343940102234874_n.jpg
hermes-fall-winter-2021-collection-runway-lookbook-menswear-9.jpg
141391411_405390804094585_2150116409901779814_n.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads