• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

the kidcrash

Reaction score
I do the same to an extent, but IG has made me a bit lazy lately. It’s an easier format but it’s harder to find some of the deeper cuts through IG alone.
i like IG for basically just that reason, very easy to find stuff and pleasant for scrolling on the subway or w.e

since you have such a specific pant style in mind (which is an advantage over aimless shoppin) try searching around when youve some time - stumbling thru japanese store blogs and sites is a great learning experience and, like proxying, it gets easier as you do it. Knowing some basic katakana helps too I spose.

To start, maybe try Cotyle, Transistor, Arknets, Eminent, Reggie Shop, acoustics, Rusk. from there, you can google brands that sound interesting, find more stockists, skim the stores' tagged brands on IG, check y!jp and so on. it's a timekiller but worth it. Plus, a surprising number of stores in japan let you buy direct without a proxy nowadays. not a ton of them but more than when i was first getting into it in college

if you do want any more specific direction tho feel free to dm =D

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa. Thats a lot for a pair of Levi's.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
@Baron The only denim I'm currently wearing more than once a month is a pair of vintage Levi 501 (bought in person), is it easy to find a cheap raw-ish (non distressed or too pale) pair of vintage 501? Should I try ebay or is it easier on etsy or whatever?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Baron The only denim I'm currently wearing more than once a month is a pair of vintage Levi 501 (bought in person), is it easy to find a cheap raw-ish (non distressed or too pale) pair of vintage 501? Should I try ebay or is it easier on etsy or whatever?
Try eBay. I’ve found some that are medium dark, not distressed. I guess it depends what you’re going for.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa. Thats a lot for a pair of Levi's.
Hand made pattern, and handmade from start to finish. Plus higher quality denim that you’d find on your Main Street pair. Still a very high sticker price for a pair of jeans and the most expensive pair I’ve ever paid for, but I think the quality makes it worth it for me. And have been contemplating shooting off an email to order another pair, soon

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
Hand made pattern, and handmade from start to finish. Plus higher quality denim that you’d find on your Main Street pair. Still a very high sticker price for a pair of jeans and the most expensive pair I’ve ever paid for, but I think the quality makes it worth it for me. And have been contemplating shooting off an email to order another pair, soon
I have several Wil Whiting’s shirts at £550 each, which will give me a cold sweat at night if I think about it too much. I always purchased jeans from Blackhorse Lane Ateliers; for £200 - £300 you can pick up some good quality denim with seriously good stitching and construction. However I a am thinking about giving Lot 1 a go, in particular to get access to a larger range of denim fitted to my own pattern.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several Wil Whiting’s shirts at £550 each, which will give me a cold sweat at night if I think about it too much. I always purchased jeans from Blackhorse Lane Ateliers; for £200 - £300 you can pick up some good quality denim with seriously good stitching and construction. However I a am thinking about giving Lot 1 a go, in particular to get access to a larger range of denim fitted to my own pattern.
I have yet to venture into bespoke, but shirts are going to be my first dip into the water if you will in a few years when I am next in London. Wil was high on my list to try, as is Budd, though price and minimums might push me toward Budd for my first order. I’ve done very high end RTW shirts that still treat me well but would like to move into the bespoke realm here in a few years

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet it would be a fun experience to have a pair of Lot 1s made for you. Once you wear a pair of jeans tailor made for you, you’ll realize just how poorly all of your other trousers fit.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bet it would be a fun experience to have a pair of Lot 1s made for you. Once you wear a pair of jeans tailor made for you, you’ll realize just how poorly all of your other trousers fit.

Similarly once you have had a bad crop of bespoke suits and shirts made for you, you realize how easy, convenient, and what great value RTW is.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Relaxed fit with dress shirt tucked in and sweater, basically everyday wear

Yeah the fit it great. I do limit my search to "made in the USA" versions. The fit of 501's changes over time, and the non selvedge made in usa pairs from the 80's and 90's fit the way I like.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
I have yet to venture into bespoke, but shirts are going to be my first dip into the water if you will in a few years when I am next in London. Wil was high on my list to try, as is Budd, though price and minimums might push me toward Budd for my first order. I’ve done very high end RTW shirts that still treat me well but would like to move into the bespoke realm here in a few years
One of the issues with Wil is the number of fittings he likes to do. I did around 6 or 7 before we got to the first 4 shirts. So if you don’t live in London or frequently visit (which I don’t) it could be a long and expensive (with all the travel costs) process. Last time I corresponded with him, he was living in Germany with his girlfriend and newborn, so I don't know what the ongoing position is going to be. Got to say though, the results are very good, but it’s a hell of a lot of dough for a shirt.

Last edited:

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was great. I think now having worn them and comparing them to my previous favorite pairs of jeans, having them the exact way I want with input from a master cutter (previously from Edward Sexton) makes such a difference. Next time I’m there I’ll take in my favorite jeans (John Elliott Cast 2 in Coast light wash) and tell them what I love and what I would change, and see how we can make me my perfect pair of jeans. Right now my Lot No. 1 is my perfect raw denim/dark jeans, especially after the first wash; I think making my ideal light wash would give me two pairs of denim I could reorder for the rest of my life

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similarly once you have had a bad crop of bespoke suits and shirts made for you, you realize how easy, convenient, and what great value RTW is.
Well, I guess if they were a bad crop, then they weren’t actually tailor made for you. Sounds like a terrible experience.
It was great. I think now having worn them and comparing them to my previous favorite pairs of jeans, having them the exact way I want with input from a master cutter (previously from Edward Sexton) makes such a difference. Next time I’m there I’ll take in my favorite jeans (John Elliott Cast 2 in Coast light wash) and tell them what I love and what I would change, and see how we can make me my perfect pair of jeans. Right now my Lot No. 1 is my perfect raw denim/dark jeans, especially after the first wash; I think making my ideal light wash would give me two pairs of denim I could reorder for the rest of my life
Sounds like fun. I’ve taken a couple of patternmaking classes and made a jeans pattern for myself. Now that I have it, it takes me about 25-30 hours to make a perfect pair of jeans. If I didn’t have so many pairs of pants in my closet, I’d venture into other trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads