• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

ultraExtendo

Reaction score
If I had a Casentino wool coat and wore a backpack with it regularly, would that wear down the bobbles on the shoulders?
I think it depends on how fine or coarse the backpack material is. If it's a leather backpack then there would probably be less friction, but if it's something like canvas or Nylon then it might wear them down. If I'm not wrong, that coat is pretty "pilly" to begin with so it might not be a problem and it could just add to the nap that's already there.

All this coat talk is making me jealous, I wish it got cold enough where I'm at to wear them in the winter...

DeafIdiotGod

Reaction score
I think it depends on how fine or coarse the backpack material is. If it's a leather backpack then there would probably be less friction, but if it's something like canvas or Nylon then it might wear them down. If I'm not wrong, that coat is pretty "pilly" to begin with so it might not be a problem and it could just add to the nap that's already there.

All this coat talk is making me jealous, I wish it got cold enough where I'm at to wear them in the winter...

This is the coat:

The bobbles are quite large and spaced out so I'm basically concerned that I might end up with very noticeably smoother fabric on the shoulders, like if the bobbles get flattened or something

ultraExtendo

Reaction score
I see what you mean. In my experience, wearing wool sweaters with a backpack only caused more pilling rather than eating away at the fabric. Judging by the material, it looks pretty dense so I think you should be good and it would probably only pill more.

To be safe though you can always try it out for a few days and see if anything happens.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe that J Crew did a repro of the British Navy’s canoeist smock in Ventile last year and I missed it.
5337EC98-5F1F-4238-89CC-EEFEFC5DA4D0.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can’t believe that J Crew did a repro of the British Navy’s canoeist smock in Ventile last year and I missed it.
View attachment 1511084

Prob the best piece of outerwear they've released in years. I bought one in green.

Since then, J. Crew hired a new creative director and the Wallace & Barnes line feels a lot tamer. I was hoping that canoe smock was a sign of good things to come. I still really like W&B, but none of the recent designs have been as good as that one.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some indigo shorts from W&B that are fantastic. I bet that smock was extra enticing around sale time. :( How did you size yours, TTS?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have some indigo shorts from W&B that are fantastic. I bet that smock was extra enticing around sale time. :( How did you size yours, TTS?

Yea, mine is true to size. @d4nimal has some good fit pics on his blog (as you prob know since that pic is from his site).

I can't remember what the Ventile version went for. I want to say something like $400, but then on sale for $200. The green ripstop was $300-ish and then on sale for $150.

J7264_WX2218_m-1.jpeg

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, mine is true to size. @d4nimal has some good fit pics on his blog (as you prob know since that pic is from his site).

I can't remember what the Ventile version went for. I want to say something like $400, but then on sale for $200. The green ripstop was $300-ish and then on sale for $150.
That was a nice write up by @d4nimal. There’s one on Grailed for full retail but a size too large. I can’t bring myself to grab it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's always Hawkwood Mercantile for the Canoeist. Made to order lead times, but he does Ventile (and waxed cottons and a think a few other materials).

Edit: it's not going to be J Crew sale price though.

I’m making a pattern for a Harris Tweed and Ventile anorak semi inspired by the canoeist smock...

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Blundstones, I wear my standard tagged UK size. They are roomy but not long. Better with thicker socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads