• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which would be technically warmer?

Insulation: 3D hollow fiber siliconized synthetic insulation; 240 gsm

vs

Insulation: Traceable certified duck down 600 fill power (80/20); 220 gsm
I think it also depends on your climate. I know your in SF so it’s not so important but if you’re in a wet/cold climate synthetic is the way to go in this comparison.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Celine thread is becoming unreadable, sorry 'elevated' because of the constant Instagram spam.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it also depends on your climate. I know your in SF so it’s not so important but if you’re in a wet/cold climate synthetic is the way to go in this comparison.
That’s pretty oldskool. A lot of down has water repellant treatments now. Granted, I wouldn’t wear a down jacket without a waterproof layer in a downpour, but that also goes for my synthetic insulated jacket. For intense cold, not much beats the insulating properties of down.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty oldskool. A lot of down has water repellant treatments now. Granted, I wouldn’t wear a down jacket without a waterproof layer in a downpour, but that also goes for my synthetic insulated jacket. For intense cold, not much beats the insulating properties of down.
From my experience and knowledge from the industry even those water repellent treatments on down don’t work as well as synthetics. I am in a very wet and cold climate though (north east Canada) and many consumers still don’t understand the importance of keeping insulation dry.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning from the Telfar x Uggs Christmas collab

11022DBA-AE1E-4F6C-9405-D32A30197133.jpeg

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
The office chair wheels on in that picture made me laugh. Looks ridiculous, which I think is what they are going for.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sucks to hear someone pass so young. Certainly an interesting business story. I know little of him outside of the Zappos context and three things have stood out in that department. The vision to take on e-commerce in the way they did and when they did. The choice to work with Amazon and integrate. Taking the support of Amazon and using that in continued attempts to make innovative changes. The whole attempt at wholeocracy business and reshape Las Vegas were stories of someone not going along with business as usual, for good and bad. Weird year.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Style regression: still wearing v old blue suede ToJ (with slight guilt pangs), white tee, old jeans, old SLP boots.

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Asked the guy in the fleece if he could show me where the section with the garden tools is

Sir, this is the Nepenthes clothing store... he said

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style regression: still wearing v old blue suede ToJ (with slight guilt pangs), white tee, old jeans, old SLP boots.
I do this fairly often. Basic tee, RLPL suede bomber or SLP nylon bomber (my MMM 5 zip rarely gets wear for whatever that’s worth) and some SLP suede boots. Sometimes I switch it up with my light wash vis 101 but it feels too “Canadian tuxedo” between the vis and the JE coast wash

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some reflections after going a little nuts buying clothes/shoes from March to September:

- I barely followed The List, if at all.
- In hindsight, I regret almost all of my impulsive purchases. Virtually all of these involved a heavy discount (50%+).
- The clothes I spent time deliberating on and had the opportunity to try in person were real winners, whether it was on The List or not. I need another short sleeve camp collar floral shirt like I need a fork in my year, but I bought a Norse Projects one on sale from Uncle Otis last season after thinking about it for a week. When I tried it on, it just felt right.
- It's amazing how we can try and convince ourselves that something works for us, even if it may not.
- I wish that Kaptain Sunshine bomber wasn't so baggy in the sleeves. :violin:

The above, coupled with other factors like the second round of lockdowns in my area and weight loss, have allowed me to rein in my clothes spending considerably this season. (We'll see for how long.)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads