• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to that feeling of why distinct trend eras have seemingly disintegrated, I keep recalling this 032C piece from a few years ago:

When influences from everywhere and everytime are so readily available, I do think there's some merit to the idea that the regular "trend-cycle" that spans decades does get kinda broken.

i've been thinking about this mostly as a dependency on digital visual media tech with its attendant limits and possibilities. i mean as it relates to currents of fashion

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to bring this back up, but Christmas is coming up and my wife has a new hobby: fountain pens.

I know she was looking at pilots and extra fine/fine nibs but anyone know what I should look for? Is there anything yall pen men would look for or recommend?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who sells a good, lightweight western shirt similar to the one below (pic stolen from a DWW article)? I know we're in the middle of FW drops, but I'm looking for something lighter than all the denim, cord, moleskin westerns out there. Something light colored (even just white/blue) and light weight..

Thanks.

1603906735356.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate to bring this back up, but Christmas is coming up and my wife has a new hobby: fountain pens.

I know she was looking at pilots and extra fine/fine nibs but anyone know what I should look for? Is there anything yall pen men would look for or recommend?

Does she already have fountain pens that she likes? If so, what does she like about them? It would help to know what kind of qualities she prefers in a fountain pen, aside from the nib size (e.g. a smooth writing experience, toothy writing experience, something with a bit of bounce, etc).

If she doesn't yet have any strong preferences, then I'd recommend getting the Kaweco Brass Sport in Fine or Extra Fine. I've put a review video behind a spoiler below. If you really want to splurge, however, then the Pilot Custom 823 is my favorite daily writer. I've yet to see anyone say anything bad about the pen. People love it to different degrees.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
... doesn't that mean you're still in the raw denim game?

Naw, I see the raw denim game as tripple checking measurements on jeans, asking a stranger to verify measurements on the internet, asking the people who made the jeans if they will shrink, buying them from $300 from Japan, agonizing if they will fit while you wait for delivery, receiving them and realizing they don't fit.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Who sells a good, lightweight western shirt similar to the one below (pic stolen from a DWW article)? I know we're in the middle of FW drops, but I'm looking for something lighter than all the denim, cord, moleskin westerns out there. Something light colored (even just white/blue) and light weight..

Thanks.

View attachment 1486025
RRL. There's a ton of them floating around on eBay for pretty cheap.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
western shirts used to come in rayon crepe and other fancy lightweight cowboy fabrics

also those woolen spun rayon camp shirts but those are $$$$

i'd poke around vintage listings

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does she already have fountain pens that she likes? If so, what does she like about them? It would help to know what kind of qualities she prefers in a fountain pen, aside from the nib size (e.g. a smooth writing experience, toothy writing experience, something with a bit of bounce, etc).

If she doesn't yet have any strong preferences, then I'd recommend getting the Kaweco Brass Sport in Fine or Extra Fine. I've put a review video behind a spoiler below. If you really want to splurge, however, then the Pilot Custom 823 is my favorite daily writer. I've yet to see anyone say anything bad about the pen. People love it to different degrees.

To build on top of this is what she prefers in the hand size. My wife, for example, doesn't feel like the larger Pelikans fit well in hand, but the smaller ones do.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked a Japan-based eBay seller about shipping policy/availability after seeing this confusing combination on an item page:

Shipping: Does not ship to Canada
Item location: Tokyo, Japan
Ships to: Worldwide

I just got this reply:
Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately we cannot transact with Canada since we cannot insure the item when shipping.

We are deeply sorry we cannot sell this item to you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

I have never heard of anything like it, least of all between major developed countries. (It would be one thing if one of us was in Somalia, and likewise my reaction would be different if he said "Shipping with the correct insurance would be very expensive, let me know / give me XYZ info if you'd like to know the exact rate" -- but no such option was even mentioned.)

Has anybody else run into this sort of thing lately, and is it a temporary ramification of COVID-19 or a frightening sign of international purchasing difficulties to come?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of anything like it, least of all between major developed countries. (It would be one thing if one of us was in Somalia, and likewise my reaction would be different if he said "Shipping with the correct insurance would be very expensive, let me know / give me XYZ info if you'd like to know the exact rate" -- but no such option was even mentioned.)

Has anybody else run into this sort of thing lately, and is it a temporary ramification of COVID-19 or a frightening sign of international purchasing difficulties to come?

It's bullshit. Normal EMS is working fine between Japan and Canada - they could use that.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well my Wife is an artist, and from gleening at her stuff and random conversationd from what I can tell she likes smaller sizes pens just because she has petite hands and she like smooth writing pens, probably not a lot of bounce. Right now she only has cheaper sub 50 dollar pens. I want to probably get her something real nice with some nice inks.

Between 150-400 probably. I'm tryna make it a semi-surprise but I'll ask and steer the conversation into her own preferences.

Also I'll watch them videos, thanks for the help, it will mean a lot to her.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well my Wife is an artist, and from gleening at her stuff and random conversationd from what I can tell she likes smaller sizes pens just because she has petite hands and she like smooth writing pens, probably not a lot of bounce. Right now she only has cheaper sub 50 dollar pens. I want to probably get her something real nice with some nice inks.

Between 150-400 probably. I'm tryna make it a semi-surprise but I'll ask and steer the conversation into her own preferences.

Pilot's Custom 823 has an incredibly smooth writing experience. It's not glassy, which I find to be uncomfortable. But it's very smooth. It's hard to describe this stuff online because it's such a tactile experience. But you can look up reviews of almost any pen on YouTube (although, even those will have limitations).

The only bad thing I have to say about the 823 is that it's not very pretty. There are better-looking pens out there. But for the price and quality of the nib, it's amazing.

Kaweco's Brass sport can be kind of toothy, especially if you're getting a Fine or an Extra Fine nib.

Hard for anyone to say what she'll find to be comfortable in her hand, but there are many pen reviewers who are women, and who have recommended the 823. It's been a while since I've followed fountain pen blogs but if you Google around, you can find many reviews of the 823. And if you buy from a site such as Goulet Pen Company, they'll can do returns even after she's inked the pen up and used it (there's a restocking fee). She can then exchange the pen for something else.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly the 823 to me sounds like a great pen and the price is just right. I might look around more but even if I get this one, it'll be just one in an arsenal overtime anyway so it not being the prettiest probably won't be a deal breaker.

I don't think toothy is her style, also goulet is where I was looking at. I'm almost tempted to get her something nicer because some of these pens are real beautiful, the 845 and some of these sterling silver ones. Probably shouldn't get ahead of myself though.

Edit: she definitely doesn't want black and gold or a pen that looks too classic. Need to search around for that

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads