• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New ByBorre collection is ?
View attachment 1484198
Speaking about Byborre, I'm utterly confused by them. I tried to find what kinda stuff they were doing, but all I saw in every press release was innovation this, innovation that. No more musty grandma knits etc etc. I was trying to figure out if it had any technical elements to it's innovations, but didn't really see it besides some 8 bit knit which sounds like tech marketing babble more than anything. Does anyone know?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everytime someone responds back to a trend statement, the year that it was cool keeps being pushed back.

Oh yeah, the sf uniform of raw denim and CPs that's so 2010, I mean 2008, I mean 2005, I mean...

Oh yeah, the 70s have been back for like a year, I mean 3 years, I mean since Brad Pitt did it in 2002, I mean...

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everytime someone responds back to a trend statement, the year that it was cool keeps being pushed back.

Oh yeah, the sf uniform of raw denim and CPs that's so 2010, I mean 2008, I mean 2005, I mean...

Oh yeah, the 70s have been back for like a year, I mean 3 years, I mean since Brad Pitt did it in 2002, I mean...

The 70s started to be recognized as "cool" on SF about a year ago.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing suede bell bottoms and a turtle neck right now. I can neither agree nor disagree on what's in.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wardrobe is peaking right now in 30‘s/40’s style clothing other trends be damned :p

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do real metal fans listen to like Boris or do they think it is too hipster-Pitchfork tainted? I'm listening Rainbow by Boris with Michio Kurihara and it is quite good.

boris is awesome because they don't care. they'll do drone, they'll do ambient, they'll do pop rock, they'll do heavy rock, they'll do basically straight pop, they'll do hardcore... it's hard NOT to like Boris because their discog has something for everyone and it's all great

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like there was a lot more contrast between decades. 50s/60s/70s/80s are pretty recognizable fashion. Maybe the 90s too? Did fashion stop changing as much or am i too close to the graph paper to see the slope?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
boris is awesome because they don't care. they'll do drone, they'll do ambient, they'll do pop rock, they'll do heavy rock, they'll do basically straight pop, they'll do hardcore... it's hard NOT to like Boris because their discog has something for everyone and it's all great

Listening to Akuma No Uta as we speak... talk about variety!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like there was a lot more contrast between decades. 50s/60s/70s/80s are pretty recognizable fashion. Maybe the 90s too? Did fashion stop changing as much or am i too close to the graph paper to see the slope?

I think the decades don't actually map to fashion or music very well at all, e.g. 1962 had more in common with 1956 than 1966, 1972 had more in common with 1968 than 1976, and 1993 had more in common with 1988 than 1999 - depending on where you were in the world of course...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think you can still map styles by decade. 2000 fashion was very different from 2010, and 2010 is very different from now. But it's easier to wear clothes that are "out of date" nowadays. People can dress according to very niche tribes online that are totally disassociated from their physical reality. So there are still raw denim communities that dress like it's 2010. And Ivy Style guys who still dress like the reprinting of Take Ivy just dropped.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can still map styles by decade. 2000 fashion was very different from 2010, and 2010 is very different from now. But it's easier to wear clothes that are "out of date" nowadays. People can dress according to very niche tribes online that are totally disassociated from their physical reality. So there are still raw denim communities that dress like it's 2010. And Ivy Style guys who still dress like the reprinting of Take Ivy just dropped.
Yeah i guess i remember faux hawks and afi band tees

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads