• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thrift and antique a lot. So cowboy fogey steez is already my jam. Frankly, when I'm done with my wild patchwork phase I might go in the direction of that model haha.

Although recently I was looking at some tassel loafers and thought "damn those might be rad"

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I can see that in some sort of street wear fit, with a hoody and a big jacket over both and high top sneaks.

Mostly because I can picture it on a friend who dresses that way.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can do a simply "blow" test with a tissue around your face to see basically how well you are doing.

can you expand on this? like, what are you saying to do?

^kinda like this guy:

@Luellwitz and @cb200, that all makes sense to me, but I don't think it quite answers my questions. I think the Duke researchers said the gaitor problem was not super conclusive and generally misreported/misunderstood.

this issue has gotten lost in the national discourse, so thanks for mentioning it. yes, the duke study was misreported, and the gaiter mask issue needs more exploration. for one thing, the duke team tried literally one gaiter mask. and the study was not trying to test effectiveness; it was trying to find a cheap way to examine airflow, from my understanding.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like this, but can’t figure out how to wear it. I’m thinking a chunky cardigan, but that’s about it. Thoughts?
View attachment 1479646
So, to be about as serious as I can be about fashion - that is a cool piece, but it's hard to wear, especialy in the Bay Area. I really don't see how that would not make you melt. That said, if it sparks joy or whatever, go for it, but I just don't see it being worn much, unless you just enjoy sweating a lot.

Joytropics

Reaction score
Are there any technical brands that make an insulated jacket with a sling or carrying harness other than Acronym?

I found the Descente jackets but those are nearly the same price. Seems insane to me that you cant get this very practical feature for under $1700.

Seems like a huge missed opportunity for Arcteryx specifically?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you expand on this? like, what are you saying to do?
Hold a tissue loosely at different parts of the mask and huff and puff and try to blow your mask off. See if the stupid thing moves from your breath. It's not partcularly robust, but it gives some indication of how well your mask is marsupialing your breath plume.

this issue has gotten lost in the national discourse, so thanks for mentioning it. yes, the duke study was misreported, and the gaiter mask issue needs more exploration. for one thing, the duke team tried literally one gaiter mask. and the study was not trying to test effectiveness; it was trying to find a cheap way to e\xamine airflow, from my understanding.

Re. the Duke study - it's impossible to test everything, or else the FDA might try. But even the very incomplete results at least give a reasonable approximation of the relative efficacy (in protecting others) of various mask types. It's hard to see how something anything like a faiter, would be worse than nothing at all. That's a finding that probably needs to be re-examined.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kamotejoe has an older version of that scarf. I like the way he wears it, but it does feel outside what Pete normally wears.

I think of that scarf as going with stuff like Our Legacy, Bode, and Kapital.

You’re probably right, but I’m hoping the fact that both on the site are relatively in the same color family (as opposed to the multicolored one @KamoteJoe has) will make it easier to wear. I’m thinking an oversized shawl collared cardi but I also like the way he wears his with a suede trucker...

Those gray slacks with the ghurka waist are niiiice.
Ghurka tabs probably aren’t the best idea when you’ve really gotta go, which is why I always wear a diaper, so I’m set until I install my catheter.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Robert Redford's 70s style was so good

redford-campfire-1516313411.jpg

gettyimages-119024639-1516312994.jpg
EkqpSBgUcAAov39.jpeg
gettyimages-81956634-1516384502.jpg
71b096206f99511b931c668a41aaf066.jpg
gettyimages-75897475-1516313703.jpg
6.jpg
gettyimages-514871436-1516315687.jpg

gettyimages-108023884-1516312997.jpg

redford-sarandon-1516313411.jpg

Last edited:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@UrbanComposition boxy denim/chore jacket and big cords a la story insta? i've handled these scarves and they're beautiful IRL

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kapital's wool mufflers might be more wearable and less grandma for that kind of thing.

Think KamoteJoe maybe has one of those as well now I think of it.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all! I'm looking for sweatpants similar to these but less taper below the knee

20201019_185914.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads