• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

emptym

Reaction score
The Uniqlo mask sizing is a mess. I got a few of them online in large. The masks themselves are comfortable and breathable, but the ear loops were really long and they don't have the moldable nosepiece. I cut and tied the loops so they fit better and added a nosepiece from a single-use mask, and it works great now.
Proper Cloth has black linen face masks available in two sizes. Both are designed to wrap a bit more around your face, so you get more coverage under the chin and around your cheeks. The top has a moldable nose piece. The middle has a pouch to hold a proper filter. The whole thing is washable -- both the filter and shell -- so you can reuse it. I just dip mine in soapy water, swish it around, and then let it dry.

View attachment 1478885
I wear masks from Profound Co. for my face, at least, they fit well, and have a filter and filter pocket:
Do filters really help at all? I thought N95 masks were basically worthless if they didn't seal right, and that even things like stubble could prevent a seal. Filters on cloth masks have nothing like a seal, no?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do filters really help at all? I thought N95 masks were basically worthless if they didn't seal right, and that even things like stubble could prevent a seal. Filters on cloth masks have nothing like a seal, no?

Hm, that's a good point, I hadn't thought of that.

When this whole thing started, I interviewed JefferyD, who was working to make masks for hospitals. He told me about spunbond, which is the nonwoven material that's used for filters. He also talked about how he thinks it's important to have a moldable nose bridge for a tighter seal, and have fewer seams on the mask, as seams create small holes. (This was when people were still making masks from spunbond).

So since then, I've just been looking for masks that have a nose bridge, spunbond filter, and fewer seams. But hadn't thought about how a pouch-contained filter might be less effective

I have a few packages of basic medical masks, which is what I've been mostly wearing. And I have a blue linen Proper Cloth mask with a pouch-contained filter, which I wear on occasion. Maybe I should stick with the medical masks.

Ralph Lauren is coming out with this mask this season. It has three layers, like other filter-based masks, but also this system that tells you when you need to change filters. Apparently, these little things change color or something.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.23.35 AM.png

Joytropics

Reaction score
Thank you for all the birthday wishes! My main focus is to at least get my mental health and physical health in order. Emotionally too.

It’s a godamn struggle, man. Best wishes to you. I promise there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

Probably the biggest single thing that helped me when I was struggling was getting my sleep in order.

i got really hardcore. No blue light before bed, no alcohol, melatonin+magnesium supplements, strict 63 degree temperature, mattress cooling pad and on nights when it isn’t happening, cheat by swigging 1/3 bottle of NyQuil...

And it paid off big-time. My life with a good 8+ hours of sleep a night is dramatically different and dramatically better than my life before.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Landau

Reaction score
Hm, that's a good point, I hadn't thought of that.

When this whole thing started, I interviewed JefferyD, who was working to make masks for hospitals. He told me about spunbond, which is the nonwoven material that's used for filters. He also talked about how he thinks it's important to have a moldable nose bridge for a tighter seal, and have fewer seams on the mask, as seams create small holes. (This was when people were still making masks from spunbond).

So since then, I've just been looking for masks that have a nose bridge, spunbond filter, and fewer seams. But hadn't thought about how a pouch-contained filter might be less effective

I have a few packages of basic medical masks, which is what I've been mostly wearing. And I have a blue linen Proper Cloth mask with a pouch-contained filter, which I wear on occasion. Maybe I should stick with the medical masks.

Ralph Lauren is coming out with this mask this season. It has three layers, like other filter-based masks, but also this system that tells you when you need to change filters. Apparently, these little things change color or something.

View attachment 1479204

On the one hand, all of this kind of makes sense in the vague handwavy way, but on the other hand unless you have reason to think you are coming into close proximity with people who have COVID, getting a really good seal and having filters and all that is probably good but also probably overkilll. Its probably better than not, but unless you are a medical resident working intake at a hospital or working customer service in a place that has both COVID spikes and hasn't mandated a lockdown, the marginal difference in wearing any mask kind of properly and wearing a perfectly fit mask made with the correct composites laid in the correct way to create the correct kind of physical filtering isn't worth the price difference of a $1 disposable mask or $3 poly one you get from costco and the $35+ ones you can get from AC and whatnot.

Considering most people take off their mask in public at some point to do some thing (drink water, etc) or the seal breaks if you talk to anyone in any way, its more effort personally than its worth.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the birthday wishes! My main focus is to at least get my mental health and physical health in order. Emotionally too.
39 year old here. The one thing I wish I could tell my about-to-be 30 year old self is to find a good therapist. They really are invaluable. Had I found one at 30 instead of 36, I would have saved myself a world of hurt. And don't settle either. I didn't find the perfect one until I went through 2 terrible therapists.

Oh and happy birthday! What a time to be alive!

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Has anyone heard when Japan Post might begin offering EMS again?

I didn't realize it was suspended before ordering something and now my only two options are DHL (?) or Seamail (?). The proxy will hold it in the warehouse for 30 days so curious if anyone has insider info ?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the one hand, all of this kind of makes sense in the vague handwavy way, but on the other hand unless you have reason to think you are coming into close proximity with people who have COVID, getting a really good seal and having filters and all that is probably good but also probably overkilll. Its probably better than not, but unless you are a medical resident working intake at a hospital or working customer service in a place that has both COVID spikes and hasn't mandated a lockdown, the marginal difference in wearing any mask kind of properly and wearing a perfectly fit mask made with the correct composites laid in the correct way to create the correct kind of physical filtering isn't worth the price difference of a $1 disposable mask or $3 poly one you get from costco and the $35+ ones you can get from AC and whatnot.

Considering most people take off their mask in public at some point to do some thing (drink water, etc) or the seal breaks if you talk to anyone in any way, its more effort personally than its worth.
Sure, but in some extreme cases this is almost veering into Joe Rogan territory of ‘do masks even work in the first place?’ It is irresponsible, and as they say ignorance is bliss. If we can get people to feel comfortable and confident in mask wearing without getting into the ifs, buts, hows, the better IMO. Alas, that’s not the case at least in the US at large.

Last edited:

Landau

Reaction score
Sure, but in some extreme cases this is almost veering into Joe Rogan territory of ‘do masks even work in the first place?’ It is irresponsible, and as they say ignorance is bliss. If we can get people to feel comfortable and confident in mask wearing without getting into the ifs, buts, hows, the better IMO. Alas, that’s not the case at least in the US at large.

Yea, but the opposite is just as true. You can very easily get yourself into a "oh well it never seals perfectly so this is all pointless" rabbit hole just as easily as you can the opposite. Just wear a mask. If you like the fancier stuff that's fine too, but the point is that the delta between not wearing a mask and wearing anything is greater than wearing anything and wearing ultra high end seamless hepa filter masks unless you have a huge weighted exposure to it at which point you get an elastomeric respirator

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads