• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

true.to.size

Reaction score
I don't think I could pull it off, but the deer leather great coat is bad ass...

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 12.50.32 PM.png

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Has anyone approached each new season, reviewed a look book they like, and limited their purchase for the quarter to one entire outfit (e.g. outerwear, top, bottoms, footwear, accessories)? If repeated for several seasons, after awhile there would be an outfit for each season and assuming some additional outfits to rotate during the year for various climates. Certainly, depending on which look book and the focus, eventually there would be enough of the same designer to mix and match more seamlessly (more of a detail for online doubters than IRL where most people probably would not even notice). This seems optimal. And this is taken from the context where some will review a look book and really fall in love with how everything is styled together.

No? The vast majority of people don't data analysis with Microsoft Excel(tm) shop their way toward a cool wardrobe.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Has anyone approached each new season, reviewed a look book they like, and limited their purchase for the quarter to one entire outfit (e.g. outerwear, top, bottoms, footwear, accessories)? If repeated for several seasons, after awhile there would be an outfit for each season and assuming some additional outfits to rotate during the year for various climates. Certainly, depending on which look book and the focus, eventually there would be enough of the same designer to mix and match more seamlessly (more of a detail for online doubters than IRL where most people probably would not even notice). This seems optimal. And this is taken from the context where some will review a look book and really fall in love with how everything is styled together.
Having an 'optimal' wardrobe seems boring as hell

true.to.size

Reaction score
so i broke my wrist and will be in a cast and sling for a bit. as the weather gets colder, it seems i will be wearing my jackets with one sleeve on and one sleeve over the shoulder. i wont be able to comfortably button most coats.

does anyone know of chain type connector that i can use (perhaps button to buttonhole?) to keep the coat from blowing open in the wind? almost like the chains used with capes way back in the day?

does this product exist? if so, what is it called? i would diy one but that seems difficult atm. ty!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just had a horrible thought that when I bought the hat I was wearing yesterday, a fair few of you weren't even born yet...

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i broke my wrist and will be in a cast and sling for a bit. as the weather gets colder, it seems i will be wearing my jackets with one sleeve on and one sleeve over the shoulder. i wont be able to comfortably button most coats.

does anyone know of chain type connector that i can use (perhaps button to buttonhole?) to keep the coat from blowing open in the wind? almost like the chains used with capes way back in the day?

does this product exist? if so, what is it called? i would diy one but that seems difficult atm. ty!

oof. sorry that happened.

a peacoat (or any db) could still work if you have any. use the *other* buttons you may get enough ease to snuggle your arm in. i just tried with a burb coat it was cozy.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i'm imagining the diy solution would be a small lightweight chain with its end links connected to some spring-loaded clips like you might find on the end of a detachable bag strap, but yeah making it with one hand sounds rather hard. it doesn't sound like something that just exists already, afaik. could you get a friend to put it together for you?

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@true.to.size i did some googles and found some stuff you could connect sides of a coat with, either through just clipping to the fabric, or snapping into buttonholes

1600884618637.png

here's a pocket chain that has the right thing on one side -- i guess they call that a "trigger snap" or a "swivel snap"
1600884793279.png

if you tied together two lanyards that had swivel snaps, you could get something the length you want

oh i guess a wallet chain might do the job too.

true.to.size

Reaction score
oof. sorry that happened.

a peacoat (or any db) could still work if you have any. use the *other* buttons you may get enough ease to snuggle your arm in. i just tried with a burb coat it was cozy.

thank god for the oversized trend. i have an oversized wool car coat that will close for cold weather.

fall coats are a bit trickier but i think some of the below options that @ghdvfddzgzdzg shared might work for denim jackets, chore coats, and the like. will order a couple and give them a try. thanks both!

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just had a horrible thought that when I bought the hat I was wearing yesterday, a fair few of you weren't even born yet...

I have a belt I still wear that was my first 'fashion' purchase in 1993 so yeah I think about that too. The shop I bought it at is still in business which might be even crazier.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did the same thing last year! Made me get rid of a lot of stuff. I need to look at it more often so I stop buying ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads