• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^That's fresh coming from you lol

FWIW I find it odd whenever the topic of selling clothes and resale price being a factor especially for this niche group. I confess it is a mental road block I experience myself too but something I am less and less struggling with. I think its the sunk cost fallacy. Hypebeast resellers have us beat in that regard, there is even less of a demand for clothing that makes you look like your grandpa.

Just as an update, I've already started a pile of clothing that I will be donating to some place local or a drop off bin. The more I think about it, I think I can feel okay with even high ticket items I purchased in the past. I think it will be cool if by chance someone local ends up with something of mine and in turn opens the door for them to get excited about clothing like I experienced a decade ago.

I want to also add that the idea of having different blue jeans e.g. slim fit, wide cut, high rise, etc. is sort of odd the more I think about it. Why do I need to try different styles because its the flavor of the month when I already own a pair that fits me perfectly. Why complicate things? Someone has been mentioning a website where you can create your perfect fitting jeans, I think that is cool if you can nail it. Is it because DWW wrote a post about fuller fits come back into fashion or the general romanticization of old that suddenly compels a need? I think all that is great but this goes back to my OP about appreciating something versus a wanting. I can appreciate the history DWW writes about and the imagery, that's not going to change whether I own something or not.

@the shah Why 2022? what do you know that we don't?
Toast man, I hope I didn’t offend u the other day thru my teasing. If I’m being honest I found your post thought provoking and I’ve had a lot of the same thoughts myself.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?

My short take: if body image is a non-issue, I think it’s fine to eschew ideals. But in and of itself “flattering” seems fairly innocuous to me. I guess I’m calloused due to StyFo’s loving criticism. ?

Last edited:

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?

My short take: if body image is a non-issue, I think it’s fine to eschew ideals. But in and of itself “flattering” seems fairly innocuous to me. But I guess I’m calloused due to StyFo’s loving criticism. ?

Part of me is thinking this is from the Guardian where there was recently a criticism of urban architecture of cities just being big dicks in the sky. Another part of me thinks we just have to keep up with language norms changing overtime.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a visit to Belgian Shoes today. Definitely delicate footwear. I passed on getting a pair as they would have exaggerated my long, skinny feet - there is no padding by which to give shape and they are intended to be purchased tight, as they stretch considerably, per the individuals who assisted me.

I will hold onto my pair of Barbanera woven Rimbauds instead. Material quality aside, they fit my feet incredibly well and are a smart look.

Help me, I sound like a CM.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gen Z is a bunch of sissies who get offended by anything and everything. Social media is toxic, it doesn't matter your intentions someone will find a way to criticize anything. People have posted photos of their body transformations after years of dieting and time spent in the gym and people will criticize them for being insensitive for the people who "tried everything" and can't lose weight.

Chrissy Teigen made a post on how she is a ditz who always loses her Apple headphones and people criticize her for being insensitive and rich and talk about how they can't even afford one.

A lot of people would rather ***** and whine about things than put in the hard work to get what they want or reach their goal.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Gen Z is a bunch of sissies who get offended by anything and everything. Social media is toxic, it doesn't matter your intentions someone will find a way to criticize anything. People have posted photos of their body transformations after years of dieting and time spent in the gym and people will criticize them for being insensitive for the people who "tried everything" and can't lose weight.

Chrissy Teigen made a post on how she is a ditz who always loses her Apple headphones and people criticize her for being insensitive and rich and talk about how they can't even afford one.

A lot of people would rather ***** and whine about things than put in the hard work to get what they want or reach their goal.
Hate to break it to you but none of the people mentioned in the article are Gen Z. Ironic.

Reactions: APK

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate to break it to you but none of the people mentioned in the article are Gen Z. Ironic.

I took it from this paragraph in the article:

"But for generation Z – roughly speaking, those born between 1995 and 2010 – “flattering” is becoming a new F-word. To compliment a woman on her “flattering” dress is passive-aggressive body-policing, sneaked into our consciousness in a Trojan horse of sisterly helpfulness. It is a euphemism for fat-shaming, a sniper attack slyly targeting our hidden vulnerabilities. “Flattering”, in other words, is cancelled."

But yea the people in the articles are millenials

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A poll or some social media data on gen Z attitudes towards “flattering” would be nice instead of a bald-faced assertion. I’d guess that pizzagate gets more traction in that generation than this tbh.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That Guardian article seems reasonable to me. I agree with the point.

It's hard for me to relate as a man because, while body image can still be an issue for men, they don't seem to be as pervasive, intensive, and destructive as they are for women. That said, while I'm not in the best of shape, I'm kind of an average built guy. I may not have the perspective of someone who's a man and doesn't fit into some social mold.

When writing, I use flattering to describe a V-shaped silhouette, which is another way to say the classical ideal of a male body. Hedi Slimane has talked about how made his collections as a result of that stereotype. But then that also sets up other body image issues.

To @Timbaland's point, I don't think "healthy body type" is even the issue for women. The idealized female body is often borderline unhealthy, especially if you're not bracketing desirable women to just 18 - 25-year-olds.

Joytropics

Reaction score
When writing, I use flattering to describe a V-shaped silhouette, which is another way to say the classical ideal of a male body. Hedi Slimane has talked about how made his collections as a result of that stereotype. But then that also sets up other body image issues.

Edit: 10 char.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m perfectly fine discarding the term “flattering” and don’t use it very often anyways. I am just skeptical of how much traction that idea has among younger generations.

My wardrobe definitely keeps my weight in check, I can’t afford to replace all my pants with the next size up haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads