• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
eBay a long time ago used to show final selling price but they’ve changed so much over the years I don’t know how long it’s been since they haven’t. I never tried Grailed as I had so much tenure with ebay (almost 10 years) that I didnt want to start over on a new platform.

I’m all in favor with getting the best price within reason. I would always try to work with buyers to reach a nice middle ground, but some offers in the past had been so crazy low that it was beyond absurd.
It's a fine line between getting the best deal and insulting the seller so much that they won't work with you

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eBay has an option where it can just auto-reject bids below whatever amount you set.

I've used consignment before in the past and i think i probably wouldve ended up around the same after all fees if i had just sold via eBay / grailed or some other platform. I think if the item is in demand and you're a more common size then the returns from a consignment may be better but if you're on the lower/higher end of sizing then there's a chance that the item will go for really cheap.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on Belgians?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think some guys pull them off and some guys don't. Hard to generalize a rule. But I've seen them on people who I think wear them well. Agyesh from Stoffa, Antonio from 18 East, etc.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The cult loafers are not without their quirks. The soft-soled casuals are known to wear out within a couple months, requiring a trip back to the lone shop at East 55th and Park Avenue for a resoling. That’s $65 (a drop in the trust fund). While designed to last longer, the replacement is aesthetically inferior. Belgian essentially just glues a corrugated rubber sole to the bottom of the existing outsole."

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"The cult loafers are not without their quirks. The soft-soled casuals are known to wear out within a couple months, requiring a trip back to the lone shop at East 55th and Park Avenue for a resoling. That’s $65 (a drop in the trust fund). While designed to last longer, the replacement is aesthetically inferior. Belgian essentially just glues a corrugated rubber sole to the bottom of the existing outsole."

I personally dont care for them when they look super twee. But I like them on guys who look traditionally masculine. I think there's something very chic about seeing a traditionally masculine guy wear slightly feminine items, and Belgian have a slightly feminine vibe. Some examples:

belgian-shoes-02.jpg

400.jpg

5220f38d034ec4fe29e784a0c27b190b.jpg

belgian-shoes-08.jpg

Glenn_OBrien-31-728x1090.jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Got that Ponzi scheme energy.

I cannot be bothered to try a shoe that has a reputation for wearing down so quickly - like driving loafers.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Loafers with those rubber nubs. The link above has some photos

I have seen – even owned – a pair. I just never understood their intended purpose. Does one only put them on once in the car, and is expected to remove them the moment they have left this vehicle?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find appeal in this

Belgian+Shoes.jpg

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Belgians wear down as fast as ppl seem to think it does. Compare to a more traditional CM shoe brand with leather sole (ex: Carmina), I think by the time I need to resole the Carminas it would be around time for second rubber outsole replacement for Belgians. Replacing just a rubber outsole is like half the price of resole with leather soles so the price comes out to around the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads