• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of that Valstar shearling trucker popping up somewhere?

Trying to tell myself that I am content with my Uniqlo U faux-shearling trucker from last winter (which, it's a great jacket).

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Where you seeing these deals? I'd love to try some tom ford at those prices

For Margiela I cleaned up on Moda Operandi...crazy prices there, SSENSE, Mr Porter and the Boutique Website. For TF...Selfridges had a great sale back around July 4th, Mr. Porter again, plenty of brand new stuff on TheRealReal, and TF’s own sale where I saw some great items hit sub 300

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For Margiela I cleaned up on Moda Operandi...crazy prices there, SSENSE, Mr Porter and the Boutique Website. For TF...Selfridges had a great sale back around July 4th, Mr. Porter again, plenty of brand new stuff on TheRealReal, and TF’s own sale where I saw some great items hit sub 300
For inspiration, show us some examples of what you got.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LonelyPoliticalLamb-size_restricted.gif

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I'm tired of selling clothing items I decide I no longer desire. Having to wait indefinitely while progressively marching your asking price into the ground, having to deal with lowballers and non-payers, having to give a sizable taste to eBay and PayPal, and having to with great frequency interact with a postal employee who has made it her raison dêtre to find something wrong with every single package that crosses her booth so she can then feel validated when she “corrects” it. I found it endearing at first, but it’s bordering on psychotic.

With every sale I tell myself it will be the last one, but when the next expensive item comes up on the chopping block I find myself resistant to just donating it.

Last edited:

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Also, I'm tired of selling clothing items I decide I no longer desire. Having to wait indefinitely while progressively marching your asking price into the ground, having to deal with lowballers and non-payers, having to give a sizable taste to eBay and PayPal.

With every sale I tell myself it will be the last one, but when the next expensive item comes up on the chopping block I find myself resistant to just donating it.

Selling has become a let’s say less than rewarding experience these days. For now I hopefully won’t have to sell anything for a while but if I do I think I’ll go the consignment route, less headaches and dealing with buyers haha

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Selling has become a let’s say less than rewarding experience these days. For now I hopefully won’t have to sell anything for a while but if I do I think I’ll go the consignment route, less headaches and dealing with buyers haha

I may just take these Celine loafers to Tokio 7. I've been wanting to stop in anyway.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, I'm tired of selling clothing items I decide I no longer desire. Having to wait indefinitely while progressively marching your asking price into the ground, having to deal with lowballers and non-payers, having to give a sizable taste to eBay and PayPal, and having to with great frequency interact with a postal employee who has made it her raison dêtre to find something wrong with every single package that crosses her booth so she can then feel validated when she “corrects” it. I found it endearing at first, but it’s bordering on psychotic.

me being a non-paying low-baller on grailed ...

vs. me dealing with non-paying low-ballers on grailed

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 12.54.56 PM.png

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've mostly taken to selling using 3rd-party resellers. They take a huge cut, but there's also huge time & mental value in not having to take pictures, deal with low-balls, ship things properly and worry about any buyer fraud. And I've had a couple things not sell on ebay/g railed for months, and then they sell pretty much instantly on reseller for more than what I was asking.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ebay lowballers are essentially scum of the earth imo. I get wanting a 'deal' but good god, some of the offers I received on basically new-ish items is appalling. Thankfully most of my wardrobe now is all keeper stuff I don't plan on moving, but even then its come at decent loss of other items. #rant

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Ebay lowballers are essentially scum of the earth imo. I get wanting a 'deal' but good god, some of the offers I received on basically new-ish items is appalling. Thankfully most of my wardrobe now is all keeper stuff I don't plan on moving, but even then its come at decent loss of other items. #rant
I don't disagree but I've ended up lowballing more than I used to after watching items sold on Grailed (where you can see the final sold price, unlike ebay) for what I would've considered a crazy lowball. It works often enough to keep doing it.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree but I've ended up lowballing more than I used to after watching items sold on Grailed (where you can see the final sold price, unlike ebay) for what I would've considered a crazy lowball. It works often enough to keep doing it.
eBay a long time ago used to show final selling price but they’ve changed so much over the years I don’t know how long it’s been since they haven’t. I never tried Grailed as I had so much tenure with ebay (almost 10 years) that I didnt want to start over on a new platform.

I’m all in favor with getting the best price within reason. I would always try to work with buyers to reach a nice middle ground, but some offers in the past had been so crazy low that it was beyond absurd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads