• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. This is getting out of hand.
@LA Guy if I start a JMM thread are you able to move the chat from today over there?
It’s probably beneficial to have a dedicated thread anyway at this point.

That sounds good. I'm in the middle of tasks right now, but please give me a bit, and I'll move all the posts over there.

Cheers,

Fok.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random fashion thought: Amiri, what's it supposed to be, SLP douchebag edition?

Definitely a blatant rip-off of Hedi. Incidentally, Amiri seems to have risen in popularity (best I can tell) the moment Hedi left Saint Laurent.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a cm question but I don’t really know which threads are active over there other than the nmwa thread so I’ll just ask here.

I’ve dropped 17 pounds during quarantine and plan to lose another 13. My suits will be too small by a size or so. What’s the recommendation here for too-big suits? Tailor them or flip them?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much you love the suits. That would generally require disassembling the whole suit and recutting it. I had it done to a jacket once because it was a rare piece that was only available in the size larger than I wear. The work was expensive, but the result was good. It required a couple fittings.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a cm question but I don’t really know which threads are active over there other than the nmwa thread so I’ll just ask here.

I’ve dropped 17 pounds during quarantine and plan to lose another 13. My suits will be too small by a size or so. What’s the recommendation here for too-big suits? Tailor them or flip them?

Flip.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't think weight is a good measure for this. Losing 17 pounds of muscle is going to be very different from losing 17 pounds of fat.

Generally, you want the shoulders and chest to fit well. While you can alter these things, it's very expensive and sometimes not possible depending on what you're trying to do. The waist can be taken in within reason. Really depends on what you need altered.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think weight is a good measure for this. Losing 17 pounds of muscle is going to be very different from losing 17 pounds of fat.

Generally, you want the shoulders and chest to fit well. While you can alter these things, it's very expensive and sometimes not possible depending on what you're trying to do. The waist can be taken in within reason. Really depends on what you need altered.
Mostly waist right now. Is there a limit for bringing it in?

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you like less less like asaucage in them or are the shoulders too big?
It fit well before but the waist is definitely loosening up now that I’m cutting. Same with onion/thigh region. Shoulders still seem okay. I actually think the jacket should be fine, maybe need bring it in slightly when I reach my goal weight. But yeah the pants are what concern me. They’ll be 36’s for probably a 34 waist.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as the back pockets don't get too weirdly close together, it should be ok taking the waist in on the pants. 36->34 isn't that big a change.

verver

Reaction score
@mmmargeologist, a good tailor should be able to achieve bringing in the waist/pants. If shoulders fit for jacket, also shouldn’t be a problem to pinch in body. Of course, challenge is to find a good tailor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads