• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what i want at jacques marie mage

D31144FF-1ECB-4EF1-9C7B-E8E418E8A54F.jpeg

what i can afford at jacques marie mage

EcvTOJQWoAIlllL.jpeg

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what i want at jacques marie mage

what i can afford at jacques marie mage

"I remember buying my first pair, their collaboration with Hopper Goods, and feeling dizzy from sticker shock. Jacques Marie Mage’s frames run anywhere from $450 to $1,000, depending on where you shop, and they never go on sale (most hover around $600). But over the last year or so, I’ve acquired two more" - Derek ******* Guy

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I remember buying my first pair, their collaboration with Hopper Goods, and feeling dizzy from sticker shock. Jacques Marie Mage’s frames run anywhere from $450 to $1,000, depending on where you shop, and they never go on sale (most hover around $600). But over the last year or so, I’ve acquired two more" - Derek ******* Guy

I thought Derek was up to at least five.

Edit: Derek, sell me the left lens of your Taos.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

My guy in Miami swears JMM should be asking more for their frames. They could ask 1k+ for any model they wanted easily since apparently they spare no expense when it comes to construction. I came over from Mykita and Cutler & Gross which both felt like Walgreens twirly thing sunglasses compared to JMM

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My guy in Miami swears JMM should be asking more for their frames. They could ask 1k+ for any model they wanted easily since apparently they spare no expense when it comes to construction. I came over from Mykita and Cutler & Gross which both felt like Walgreens twirly thing sunglasses compared to JMM

Aren't they just made from block-cut cellulose acetate like all other frames? They're thicker, so they feel more substantial, but construction seems to be about the same.

My impression is that outside of the truly, truly cheap frames -- the injection molded, spray painted, rattly frames you find for like $20 -- most frames are basically the same in terms of construction and it mostly comes down to design and tiny details (e.g. some filigreed nose bridge).

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, I’m a sucker for hefty frames. Other than that I have no idea what goes into making glasses. There’s this article in GQ where Jerome stated basically, “well, this is going to have to be the price if I make them this way.“ But other than heft the article doesn’t say exactly what “this way“ is.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, I’m a sucker for hefty frames. Other than that I have no idea what goes into making glasses. There’s an article in GQ from a few years ago where Jerome stated basically, “well, this is going to have to be the price if I make them this way.“ But he didn’t say exactly what “this way“ is.

I imagine most of the cost is a result of them being extremely limited in terms of production numbers. Each frame is limited to a run of 50 to 500, possibly by design (to seem exclusive) and possibly a function of the market (not that many people are going to wear bold frames). Lower production numbers -> higher cost per unit -> higher retail price.

May also be about their manufacturing in Japan. I've noticed that many high-end niche lines, such as DITA, Masahiro Maruyama, and Thom Browne, are manufactured in Japan. I don't know if the quality is functionally different, but I think those frames often look cooler than your standard frames at Eyecrafters.

At a JMM trunk show, I asked the rep about what goes into a pair of JMM frames. He mentioned some things that didn't seem that different from other frames -- the arrowhead pin at the corner, the blockcut cellulose acetate, and the filigree detail that goes down the arm. The only thing I was surprised to hear -- and I don't know if this is true -- is that their cellulose acetate supposedly has a higher concentration of cotton fibers. I vaguely remember him saying that this delays the dulling and clouding you sometimes see on cellulose acetate over time.

Last edited:

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont get the jmm hype, maybe i just have to handle a pair

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it could be the angle they just look way too big for your face in the pic

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are huge, and I’m bad at judging what sunglasses look good on my face so you could be right

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads