• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did you guys even read the article on the aclu? It’s about title ix and the aclu’s stance on protecting the rights of people who are sexually assaulted. To say that the aclu doesn’t work on criminal justice issues directly benefiting Black people is just dangerously uninformed.

I think is a pretty complicated issue, but you can start by reading Emily Yoffe's multipart series in The Atlantic on the excesses of Title IX and how it impacted the rights of male students, many of them POC. It essentially stripped basic due process rights away from the accused and led to many ridiculous, Kafkaesque situations. Yoffe is a female, progessive journalist that was open about how conflicted she was publishing the results of her work, especially in the wake of Donald Trump's election, but I think it's important to read what was actually happening under the Title IX rules and see that it was essential to reform them. I was pretty shocked that the ACLU came out against restoring due process in these cases.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the content of the JT’s post is bad but the spirit is good. I like the ACLU. Donate to whatever cause you want — whether it’s healthcare, disease eradication, bikes for young kids, prison abolishment, whatever. You have a finite amount of money to give (well most of us) but there are an infinite number of problems affecting people that are addressed by many organizations. There is really no point in saying this or that makes more impact. Bad way to look at it.

coming out of 6 years of non-profit work, Iwould agree with JT’s post in spirit because essentially what it’s saying is to be wary of where you donate your money. There are lots of BAD non-profits out there that siphon money, have hero complexes, and are part of the non-profit industrial complex that makes community and local activists suffer.

I would also be wary of websites like charity navigator or whatever. People use those to say this is good or this is bad but it’s much more complicated than that. It’s a standardized test and there are ways to game with standardized tests, and often times it hurts the non-profits the most. If you think about it, a high score on those types of sites means more $, which, one way to do that is to actually do what the scores say, but I will say that you can also dedicatetime and resources to improve scores optically but not actually be a good organization. Beware.

My advice: donate to your local organizations around your city or community. That’s where you will have the most impact. Or if you can’t donate, volunteers are even more useful. Volunteers who are skilled and engage over a long period of time are worth a lot.

your local organizations are doing the work around your community, but are the ones who don’t have charity scores, don’t have marketing budgets, don’t have huge staff to get the word out. Do your research on what orgs resonate with you and what work they’ve done in your immediate community. ACLU will get millions of dollars from rich famous people. Your community organizations are all fighting each other for the same grants and money that big companies give out because donation engagement is magnitudes lower.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s great if you think that was the spirit. The spirit I saw was to **** on someone’s fundraiser. Which seems to be a real sport these days.

zxcvbn

Reaction score
Re: givewell - limiting giving to only organizations that can provide you a favourable cost-effectiveness analysis really limits the kind of change you can help create. BLM and ReclaimTheBlock probably can't compete with a charity trying to reduce malaria transmission by giving nets, but it's not because they aren't doing life-changing work. It's much easier to get an RCT done on the most downstream of consequences of global injustices than more upstream ones that hold the potential for transformative, lasting change.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To say that the aclu doesn’t work on criminal justice issues directly benefiting Black people is just dangerously uninformed.
So right up Joytropics' alley then?

saying don’t donate to the ACLU and promote malaria eradication instead is honestly one of the most profoundly stupid statements I’ve read on this forum.

You should hang out more in the CE forum then. That's not even the stupidest thing I've read on Styleforum today.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s great if you think that was the spirit. The spirit I saw was to **** on someone’s fundraiser. Which seems to be a real sport these days.

dunno. I typically try to give people benefit of the doubt these days, and I feel like he more or less engaged in a manner that wasn’t inflammatory. His content was very bad (malaria lol) but I think it’s very legitimate to voice your opinion about unscrupulous charities — oftentimes these things don’t come to light until something like a conversation like this happens (eg: the problems with southern poverty law center). Nonprofits, especially large ones, have done a fantastic job of painting a shiny veneer on themselves to look like only embodiments of good and justice, when practice doesn’t translate to that.

I’m not arguing that saying that malaria has a greater impact isn’t a dumb thing to say, but if my friend Troika here decided to donate to an org that I feel has problems that undermine his intentions, I would do the same thing that happened here. I’m talking about the very first post following Troika’s, none of the following stuff about malaria. While I like the ACLU, there are plenty of criticisms with them that are worth knowing

and to be clear, my original post is pointed to people looking to donate in general, not troika specifically

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you guys even read the article on the aclu? It’s about title ix and the aclu’s stance on protecting the rights of people who are sexually assaulted. To say that the aclu doesn’t work on criminal justice issues directly benefiting Black people is just dangerously uninformed.
There are lot of issues that Black folks have but title 9 and malaria aren’t what people are fighting for in the street.

motosacto

Reaction score
Police shootings of unarmed black people in America account for about 10 deaths a year.

"Police shootings of unarmed black people in America" is just the tip of the iceberg - there is a systematic bias in the way people of color are treated by law enforcement across the board in this country. Outcomes include reduced economic opportunities, increased stress that leads to adverse health outcomes, and really a general lack of freedom to just be. I have professional colleagues who have to think twice about, say, going running in a nice neighborhood, where I don't - because of the genetic accident that made me white and therefore not a target. That's not right.

So it's not as simple as "10 cop shootings per year" vs "malaria."

One more thing - there are so many things in this world that need fixing. You have picked one that you are passionate about - more power to you! But don't slag others if they make different worthy choices.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not bias it's racism. Call it what it is and don't water it down.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of these posts will go to an appropriate CE thread tomorrow. They don’t really fit the existing threads, but I think that one on BLM and charities will be a welcome addition.

Cheers,

Fok

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to some fashun - I've been having some problems with Luxire (partially my fault) and want to try a new online shirt maker, but need them to be fairly custom.

I made an ocbd popover with a western back yoke at Luxire, and I really like it. But it seems like neither ratio nor proper cloth will make one. Any other options?

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the differences between the Paraboot 'Michael' shoes and Heschung's 'Thuya?' Are they pretty much the same thing? I've had some chukkas from Heschung and they were great, but never owned anything from Paraboot.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the differences between the Paraboot 'Michael' shoes and Heschung's 'Thuya?' Are they pretty much the same thing? I've had some chukkas from Heschung and they were great, but never owned anything from Paraboot.

Seconding this, especially on sizing. I heard Michaels are tts, but heschung down one for me.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seconding this, especially on sizing. I heard Michaels are tts, but heschung down one for me.
My Michaels fit great TTS, but I don't have any input on the Thuya's unfortunately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads