• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Joytropics

Reaction score
I’m not doing that though. It's a noble goal to support black charities right now. But I think giving money to bloated non-profits like ACLU is actually a negative. That’s why I’m offering an alternative that I think is better.

(And one I support myself. The Against Malaria foundation is actually my legal heir. If I die they will get my life’s savings)

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm lovin the confidence. @Joytropics

Also, changed the charity from ACLU to NAACP Legal Action Fund per NMWA's list, and since I've donated to them before. Thanks for letting me know.

Now if I can only get someone to actually bid on them...

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I agree with your premise, but think you’re off base in how you’re presenting it. I also find the malaria thing kind of odd. It’s a great cause to support, don’t misunderstand me, but if I’m specifically concerned about changing conditions for African Americans, I want to make a donation in my community that will benefit that population.

I submit that your support for malaria does nothing to benefit African Americans but it does give you a nice high horse from which to spout off.

Joytropics

Reaction score
@troika I really appreciate you being willing to engage in good faith. I certainly don't claim to be an expert or that I'm doing everything perfectly.

I'm really just parroting the work of Will MacAskill, a genuine expert who's devoted his life to figuring out how to get the most value out of every charity dollar.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In extremely Charlie Kirk voice: these guys don't really care about black lives! they don't even care ****************** dying of MALARIA in Africa!
We love our Black brothers on the continent, but that is not Black American's plight.

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you guys even read the article on the aclu? It’s about title ix and the aclu’s stance on protecting the rights of people who are sexually assaulted. To say that the aclu doesn’t work on criminal justice issues directly benefiting Black people is just dangerously uninformed.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you guys even read the article on the aclu? It’s about title ix and the aclu’s stance on protecting the rights of people who are sexually assaulted. To say that the aclu doesn’t work on criminal justice issues directly benefiting Black people is just dangerously uninformed.

Yeah, agreed. I like the org and the work that they do, even if they're a bloated beurocracy. I'm not going to stop my recurring donation to them since I believe in their work in general.

I think others read it differently, but I took the comment as a suggestion to redirect funds to an org that more directly deals with police violence issues for POC.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Police shootings of unarmed black people in America account for about 10 deaths a year.

Malaria accounts for about 435,000 deaths a year.

I understand and agree with the desire to reform American criminal justice...

But non-profits like the ACLU don’t do that. It’s a way to employ the friends and families of rich donors, and advocate for their political beliefs.

The Against Malaria foundation is the best way I’ve found to actually save many lives of disadvantaged people of color.

Against malaria has no ranking....

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably because malaria is not a problem affecting black americans...

could be proven wrong I mean you guys have a pathetic public health system but even so I didn't think it was a thing over there
I don't think the president's wife is the main problem here...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ACLU is a fantastic organization. Does a tremendous amount of good throughout the country, is always at the forefront of and leading the charge in suing the government for their abusive practices. Fights hard on important SCOTUS cases. It hasn’t always been perfect but it’s always acknowledged its problems.

And it’s a financially efficient organization, which is very hard to achieve in large scale non-profits

Donate proudly and often.

saying don’t donate to the ACLU and promote malaria eradication instead is honestly one of the most profoundly stupid statements I’ve read on this forum. It is bananas moronic. They’re neither related or mutually exclusive causes.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard from a credible source I made up that joy tropics aunt actually pockets all the money from the against malaria fund to pay for her gambling habit.

See I can make stuff up too

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me reading jts posts
EZt03LZXkAI_yNQ.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads