• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m debating a Tanto bladed CRK for super low profile when I’m hiking.
Definitely well worth finding the right low-profile folding blade for your front pocket when hiking. But, I don't go much over $100 for a knife I might lose. That said, I've had that 530 for about a decade.

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely well worth finding the right low-profile folding blade for your front pocket when hiking. But, I don't go much over $100 for a knife I might lose. That said, I've had that 530 for about a decade.

I’ve not yet lost a knife, except to the TSA.

One of my (stupid) friends somehow forgot to leave a 4” automatic drop point and a balisong on a hiking trip to the Alps. Somehow this got through TSA but French customs caught them at CDG. The rest of us ate a full meal and pretended to be really interested in the Hermès scarves for a good half hour before he emerged, looking somewhere between puke green and ashen grey. We pitched in and bought him the special Hermès scarf from that season for him to remember that occasion by. Then we fed him a croissant and coffee. The rest of us all went out that afternoon and evening, but he basically just showered and slept. We brought him back a kebab.

Later, I saw that he had regifted the scarf to a girl he was dating. She told me what had happened in his interrogation, and while I had not been present, the account of the story she had been told had him somewhere between Steve McQueen’s “Cooler King” and Viggo Mortensen in “Eastern Promises”.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight as to how Diemme sneakers fit? The slip ons in particular.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight as to how Diemme sneakers fit? The slip ons in particular.
I don't have the slip ons, but I do have a few pairs of the backzip collabs that they did with nonnative. Those are more rounded and higher volume in the toebox than say, Common Projects.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve not yet lost a knife, except to the TSA.

One of my (stupid) friends somehow forgot to leave a 4” automatic drop point and a balisong on a hiking trip to the Alps. Somehow this got through TSA but French customs caught them at CDG. The rest of us ate a full meal and pretended to be really interested in the Hermès scarves for a good half hour before he emerged, looking somewhere between puke green and ashen grey. We pitched in and bought him the special Hermès scarf from that season for him to remember that occasion by. Then we fed him a croissant and coffee. The rest of us all went out that afternoon and evening, but he basically just showered and slept. We brought him back a kebab.

Later, I saw that he had regifted the scarf to a girl he was dating. She told me what had happened in his interrogation, and while I had not been present, the account of the story she had been told had him somewhere between Steve McQueen’s “Cooler King” and Viggo Mortensen in “Eastern Promises”.
That’s a crazy story. I’ve inadvertently done some crazy things on flights pre-9/11 that would get me in serious trouble today. I only tell those stories over beer, not over the internets.

Joytropics

Reaction score
Hey gang, auctioning off some grant stone loafers to benefit the ACLU here: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/grant-stone-official-affiliate-thread.518394/post-10232058

I know it's not SWD, or perhaps all that relevant. Just wanted to share in RFT in case someone here cares.

Do you think that raising money for an organization that pays its almost entirely white executives $350,000+ a year will help black people?

How do you think the ACLU’s recent fight against the rights of those accused of crimes on campus will impact young black men?

Joytropics

Reaction score
If you think black lives matter, why not give to an organization that’s saved tons of them?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think that raising money for an organization that pays its almost entirely white executives $350,000+ a year will help black people?

How do you think the ACLU’s recent fight against the rights of those accused of crimes on campus will impact young black men?

Going to reconsider the organization, thanks. I want it to be focused on police brutality against POC.

NMWA releases their list of orgs after I posted, so I will change it to one of those.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think black lives matter, why not give to an organization that’s saved tons of them?

In extremely Charlie Kirk voice: these guys don't really care about black lives! they don't even care ****************** dying of MALARIA in Africa!

Last edited:

Joytropics

Reaction score
Police shootings of unarmed black people in America account for about 10 deaths a year.

Malaria accounts for about 435,000 deaths a year.

I understand and agree with the desire to reform American criminal justice...

But non-profits like the ACLU don’t do that. It’s a way to employ the friends and families of rich donors, and advocate for their political beliefs.

The Against Malaria foundation is the best way I’ve found to actually save many lives of disadvantaged people of color.

Joytropics

Reaction score
In extremely Charlie Kirk voice: these guys don't really care about black lives! they don't even care ****************** dying of MALARIA in Africa!

Actually it’s because of ethicist Peter Singer and Oxford philosopher Will McAskill.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Police shootings of unarmed black people in America account for about 10 deaths a year.

Malaria accounts for about 435,000 deaths a year.

I understand and agree with the desire to reform American criminal justice...

But non-profits like the ACLU don’t do that. It’s a way to employ the friends and families of rich donors, and advocate for their political beliefs.

The Against Malaria foundation is the best way I’ve found to actually save many lives of disadvantaged people of color.

Gotcha.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads