• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
saying that biden is as racist is trump is, uh, a take, considering one of them spend all day encouraging people to shoot peaceful protesters. the good news is you'll have all week to see the consequence of sitting out 2020.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a viewpoint absent of any nuance. Biden is a gaffe machine, whereas Trump seems mentally unwell a chunk of the time, on top of being a legitimately dumb person.

Biden's comment with CTG was stupid, but he actually apologized for it, which puts him one apology ahead of Trump's entire presidency.

Given everything that's gone down over the last few days, I don't know how anyone who isn't in the MAGA bag even plays footsie with the idea of sitting out Nov. 3.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm not blaming the Democrats for Bernie losing the 2020 nomination, it's all on him. 2016 is a different story.

i wasn't saying Biden is as racist as Trump, I'm saying we're still taking steps backwards when we should be moving forward. (Well a few steps forward from Trump but still) A different candidate would've been a better choice.

blacklight

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything regarding the health of the independent boutiques (e.g. IF, Totokaelo, etc.) in SoHo?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a viewpoint absent of any nuance. Biden is a gaffe machine, whereas Trump seems mentally unwell a chunk of the time, on top of being a legitimately dumb person.

Biden's comment with CTG was stupid, but he actually apologized for it, which puts him one apology ahead of Trump's entire presidency.

Given everything that's gone down over the last few days, I don't know how anyone who isn't in the MAGA bag even plays footsie with the idea of sitting out Nov. 3.

I agree that Trump is mentally unwell but I'm not so sure these are just gaffes on Biden's part. I feel like these "gaffes" are a true reflection of who he is as Trump's tweets/comments are. I honestly think it's Biden's handlers and people who are pointing the stuff out to him and making him apologize/clarify his comments. It seems to happen with every interview he does.

His comments to CTG were really bad, I felt like he was putting them in (where he thought was) their place. Biden has greatly benefitted from the COVID lockdown, if he had to debate with the other Democrats running for office or with Trump I would bet a lot of money he would say stupid/offensive **** every single time.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is sterling more or less the same as steel in function and maintenance? you can put an edge back on if you need to i guess? never dealt with a silver knife.

emptym

Reaction score
Yup. Victorinox knife, and Good Art puts on the silver. The real function of all my knives is that they look cool. I am still scarred by that one time my mom wouldn't buy me a Victorinox, but a Wenger :(
Your mom was wise. Wenger was way better than Victorinox, primarily because of the scissors, which had the much more durable and consistent spring arm vs the bent spring of Victorinox. Plus, I liked Wenger's rounded shield or square vs Vic's pointy shield.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is sterling more or less the same as steel in function and maintenance? you can put an edge back on if you need to i guess? never dealt with a silver knife.
No, on the hardness scale, steel is typically a 6-7, and it keeps an edge. For tools, it's about the perfect combination of ductility and hardness. There are harder materials, but they are brittle. Silver, on the other hand, is 2.5-3 on the Moh's scale, about the same as 18K gold, so, pretty soft. It is great for decorative purposes, but for actual functionality, is garbage.

Of course, in stainless steels, some are better for knives than others. Some keep a great edge, but are not as durable. Some are super durable, but the edge dulls quickly, etc...

For an actual tool, I've been thinking of picking up a Benchmade "Anthem", which is one of their two knives with a titanium handle (so, durable and lightweight). It also has a really nice minimalistic look and feel:

But mostly, I get knives purely because they look cool. There is a minimum quality that I expect, or else it feels a bit wrong (Swiss Army knives aside - those are just iconic multitools that happen to have a blade, for the most part), but mostly, it's because they just happen to look cool.

One that I want, but am unlikely to get for a bit, is this all damascus knife:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your mom was wise. Wenger was way better than Victorinox, primarily because of the scissor, which had the much more durable and consistent spring arm vs the bent spring of Victorinox. Plus, I liked Wenger's rounded square vs Vic's pointy shield.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. But when you are forced to use the word "Swiss military", you know you've gone wrong somewhere. Aslo, the shield is cooler.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a stainless steel straight razor that i only need to sharpen on a stone about once a year. And that thing is bloody sharp i use a 12k stone for it.

Was a very good investment and fortunately ive managed to steer clear of the actual shave enthusiasts which are a fun but somewhat bizarre crowd that i encountered when researching what to buy.

In support if la guy's previous point it was very useful to have all that knowledge available. But then there was a lot if knowledge that wasn't really knowledge it was stuff like a strop must be horse arse or your face will explode etc etc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads