• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Jonas251

Reaction score
At the end of the day, all they are concerned about is their own well being, and yes, sometimes in certain context that means what is best for them is normatively “good” but the issue is that they wouldn’t be doing it if there wasn’t something in it for them. No company is going to say “gee, we are causing more harm than good, therefore we should shut down” the “good” is only acceptable if it is perceived to benefit the bottom line, which is money.

I don’t think this situation is ideal, but is the reality of CaPiTaLiSm, for better and for worse.

sometimes our judeo-Christian values are reconcilable with capitalism, but at the end of the day, let’s call a sheep a sheep and a wolf a wolf

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At the end of the day, all they are concerned about is their own well being, and yes, sometimes in certain context that means what is best for them is normatively “good” but the issue is that they wouldn’t be doing it if there wasn’t something in it for them. No company is going to say “gee, we are causing more harm than good, therefore we should shut down” the “good” is only acceptable if it is perceived to benefit the bottom line, which is money.

I don’t think this situation is ideal, but is the reality of CaPiTaLiSm, for better and for worse.

sometimes our judeo-Christian values are reconcilable with capitalism, but at the end of the day, let’s call a sheep a sheep and a wolf a wolf

I don't know how small companies even have the financial or human resources to do the kind of forecasting you're suggesting. It's been barely a week since George Floyd's death. In that time, I've seen companies take a stand just in the last few days as riots have erupted across the US and some cities abroad.

Perhaps it's possible that enormous, multi-national corporations did the number crunching you're describing. But for small boutique companies such as 18 East, Noah, No Man Walks Alone, 3sixteen, Dover Street, Need Supply, Sporty and Rich, Grailed, and countless others, I don't even know how they would have the resources to do such a forecast and calculation. As I understand it, Antonio is working out of his basement and shipping orders. He barely has time to answer emails. How would he have the time to do a financial analysis and put together a group panel?

More likely, I think, is that the people who own and work at these companies are part of a larger society, and they genuinely care about these issues, even if they don't always know what to do about them. And to be honest about the situation is to also say it's a complex issue and not easily explainable with a Marxist theory about capitalism.

From what I've seen on IG, plenty of people -- boutique brands and individuals -- are posting something because they care. I don't think the issue is about virtue signaling, but rather the unwillingness of people to believe each other, as they view everything cynically.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the plan for the future doesn't involve wearing bezos' head as a hat, it's not the right plan

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Speaking of Sporty and Rich what the hell happened, it feels like I blinked and the brand imploded

Jonas251

Reaction score
s
I don't know how small companies even have the financial or human resources to do the kind of forecasting you're suggesting. It's been barely a week since George Floyd's death. In that time, I've seen companies take a stand just in the last few days as riots have erupted across the US and some cities abroad.

Perhaps it's possible that enormous, multi-national corporations did the number crunching you're describing. But for small boutique companies such as 18 East, Noah, No Man Walks Alone, 3sixteen, Dover Street, Need Supply, Sporty and Rich, Grailed, and countless others, I don't even know how they would have the resources to do such a forecast and calculation. As I understand it, Antonio is working out of his basement and shipping orders. He barely has time to answer emails. How would he have the time to do a financial analysis and put together a group panel?

More likely, I think, is that the people who own and work at these companies are part of a larger society, and they genuinely care about these issues, even if they don't always know what to do about them. And to be honest about the situation is to also say it's a complex issue and not easily explainable with a Marxist theory about capitalism.

From what I've seen on IG, plenty of people -- boutique brands and individuals -- are posting something because they care. I don't think the issue is about virtue signaling, but rather the unwillingness of people to believe each other, as they view everything cynically.

Please go on to explain how ending my cynicism will destroy racism.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Please go on to explain how ending my cynicism will destroy racism.

Sorry, I'm not sure where I made such a claim. I don't think changing your opinion anything will end racism. Maybe you can link where I said that?

I said I find cynicism to be personally annoying. Whether you remain cynical or not, there will still be racism.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not sure where I made such a claim. I don't think changing your opinion anything will end racism. Maybe you can link where I said that?

I said I find cynicism to be personally annoying. Whether you remain cynical or not, there will still be racism.
Um, does anyone what to hear about my Good Art Swiss Army knife instead?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let’s hear it
Well, I just ordered it, but I think that aside from the lack of a little tiny pen, it is pretty much the same model that I had as a kid. Here is the picture from Self Edge:
1591056258075.png

Back in the day, I used the scissors most of all, and occasionally used the knife when we ran out of utensils at Argentinian barbeques - Argentinians have great parties, and chimichurri is terrific, but seem to be terrible at logistics. These days, or rather, in the post pandemic, I can see myself using the nail file the most. It's considered highly discourteous to come with non cut and filled nails to jiujitsu, since the goal is not to scratch the crap out of your partners. Also, broken nails really hurt.

Fits easily into your pocket, too, this model, even into a jeans coin pocket, tbh.

I was always reluctant to get this, since I would have hated to carry it to the airport by mistake, and man, that would have been a real bummer to have to gift it to the TSA. A bigger knife, like the Benchmade folder I ordered last month, and other flippers and assisted knives, if you "forget" to take them out of whatever you are carrying, that's 100% on you since they are big enough that you can't just slip it into your pocket by mistake.

However, since I have no plans to plane travel anytime in the next year, it seemed like the perfect time to pick this up.

Big ups to @kiya , as usual.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I was always reluctant to get this, since I would have hated to carry it to the airport by mistake, and man, that would have been a real bummer to have to gift it to the TSA.

Yeah this was my immediate thought. I had this model in green with the Yosemite logo for ages, and wound up sacrificing it to the TSA gods.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I just ordered it, but I think that aside from the lack of a little tiny pen, it is pretty much the same model that I had as a kid. Here is the picture from Self Edge:
View attachment 1399178

Back in the day, I used the scissors most of all, and occasionally used the knife when we ran out of utensils at Argentinian barbeques - Argentinians have great parties, and chimichurri is terrific, but seem to be terrible at logistics. These days, or rather, in the post pandemic, I can see myself using the nail file the most. It's considered highly discourteous to come with non cut and filled nails to jiujitsu, since the goal is not to scratch the crap out of your partners. Also, broken nails really hurt.

Fits easily into your pocket, too, this model, even into a jeans coin pocket, tbh.

I was always reluctant to get this, since I would have hated to carry it to the airport by mistake, and man, that would have been a real bummer to have to gift it to the TSA. A bigger knife, like the Benchmade folder I ordered last month, and other flippers and assisted knives, if you "forget" to take them out of whatever you are carrying, that's 100% on you since they are big enough that you can't just slip it into your pocket by mistake.

However, since I have no plans to plane travel anytime in the next year, it seemed like the perfect time to pick this up.

Big ups to @kiya , as usual.

I've been flying with a SA knife like that and a SOG micron for about a decade ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

verver

Reaction score
@LA Guy , as much as I was bored w ur dork knives talk, the good art Swiss Army knife is dope. I’ve always loved Swiss Army knives, so handy. So victorinox innards, and good art body?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@LA Guy , as much as I was bored w ur dork knives talk, the good art Swiss Army knife is dope. I’ve always loved Swiss Army knives, so handy. So victorinox innards, and good art body?
Yup. Victorinox knife, and Good Art puts on the silver. The real function of all my knives is that they look cool. I am still scarred by that one time my mom wouldn't buy me a Victorinox, but a Wenger :(

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been flying with a SA knife like that and a SOG micron for about a decade ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cool, but don't come crying to us when you are detained and taken to a black ops site in the Middle East. Just sayin'.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah this was my immediate thought. I had this model in green with the Yosemite logo for ages, and wound up sacrificing it to the TSA gods.
That's how I lost my first one. tbf, it wasn't that far after 9/11, and everyone was on edge. I tried to explain that I'd had it since I was a kid, that it was a gift from my childhood, etc... but the TSA lady was not feeling sentimental that day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads