• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Jonas251

Reaction score
Idk if you guys know about rif (la and sf sneaker consignment) but they also got looted. From my experience the people there are cool and pretty rooted in the communities in which they operate. The owner posted on Twitter that he lost 1m worth of inventory and will only be getting 200k back. For the sneaker heads out there buying on stock x, might be a nice change of pace to head over to rif.la and help them out. Also the people there are way better at authenticating than stock x. They got a dude who can spot fakes by the smell of the glue.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say that I don't know the context of Needs role in the community. There's a lot of comments about poor treatment of workers and no representation of POC designers

I feel like you could say this about a lot of companies. Nike and other large companies also put out statements on the matter but how many of them actually have POC in high level positions or are actively doing things in the community? Nike isn't the best example as they do support Kaepernick but I do hope they did invest some of the profit they made supporting him in the cause.

The difference is large companies have the money/resources and have people who know how to write statements. Need does not and is being targeted.

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Need and Totokaelo are owned by Herschel Supply Co. arent they? Thats white as fuuu.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Need and Totokaelo are owned by Herschel Supply Co. arent they? Thats white as fuuu.

?? What kind of comment is this?

Instagram solidarity posts are generally stupid and meaningless. They are literally in and of themselves virtue signals. The whole thing is disingenuous. If you want to help go do something to make the world a better place. Take your time, energy and resources and do something with them. I hate when people think making a woke post on the internet is somehow akin to positive action.

I don't see how this is virtue signaling when the profitable thing to do is to say nothing. Companies lose followers when they speak up.

Honestly bizarre to me that anyone would take issue with someone saying it's wrong to put a knee on someone's neck.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I don't see how this is virtue signaling when the profitable thing to do is to say nothing. Companies lose followers when they speak up.

Honestly bizarre to me that anyone would take issue with someone saying it's wrong to put a knee on someone's neck.

NIke doesn't mind losing some customers (temporarily at best) and some goodwill with the same demographics to gain some exposure and better image within a larger one that they're targeting. I think @London advises brands on that stuff (might have misunderstood) but I mean it is pretty straightforward.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure that's true any more -- at the very least, the extent to which it's is true is in flux. I've encountered a number of different [credible] reports in the last couple of years to the effect that there is a growing cohort of younger consumers who explicitly demand "socially conscious" messaging (or whatever the correct general term is now) from their preferred brands. But I feel like that's kind of self-evident these days.

When I logged into Facebook today, I was greeted by a convoy of identical posts from all the Warner Bros. movies I've ever liked (The Matrix, A Clockwork Orange, etc.). They could have posted it once on their corporate page, but they obviously wanted to maximize its visibility:

YmdhwUD.jpg

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Sure but there's also the argument that silence is not acceptable. At least people starting openly that this is a problem and we empathize and stand with the protestors is necessary for the people who are ambivalent about it

Is your circle of friends ambivalent about it? I mean all I see is some #racismbad people talking to other #racismbad people (some of them possibly also actual militant or taking other actions, sure) and brands saying #Racismbad #wokebrand #girlboss #buymyshit #dontforgetme. I personally don't need to take any action cause those posts and the insuing intervention by #Pepsi will cure racism.

Jonas251

Reaction score

I don’t have a problem with that statement, I have a problem with the culture that forces people to feel like they have to which makes such statements disingenuous.

If for one second you think publicly traded companies are making decisions based on anything other than shareholder profit, you are naive.

In regard to the comment on losing followers, do some research on Nike and Kaep, think about what fumma has been saying about class and value structures and get back to me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's true any more -- at the very least, the extent to which it's is true is in flux. I've encountered a number of different [credible] reports in the last couple of years to the effect that there is a growing cohort of younger consumers who explicitly demand "socially conscious" messaging (or whatever the correct general term is now) from their preferred brands. But I feel like that's kind of self-evident these days.

When I logged into Facebook today, I was greeted by a convoy of identical posts from all the Warner Bros. movies I've ever liked (The Matrix, A Clockwork Orange, etc.). They could have posted it once on their corporate page, but they obviously wanted to maximize its visibility:

YmdhwUD.jpg

Some small brands have told me that they've lost followers when they've posted political things.

Anyway, it's utterly bizarre to me that people think the choice is between doing absolutely nothing and doing the absolute fullest.

I think norms and culture have an incredible impact on political outcomes. Corporate messaging is also part of norms. Small business messaging is also part of norms/ culture. I think it's nice that some brands and small businesses are now reinforcing those norms.

In international politics, you can see how norms around human rights have resulted in some real political outcomes, even when there's no real global enforcement. It's one of the clearest cases of how norms matter.

I really hate how some people view everything through cynicism. It's like they equate cynicism with intelligence.

Last edited:

Jonas251

Reaction score
I don’t know about everyone else, but I don’t consider myself cynical. I simply think that judging someone based on a social media post is worthless/a waste of time. Like I said, people should do stuff, and many are, and we should be focusing on that

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How dare you question the sincerity of my soda brand!!! Dude seriously.

Honestly so stupid. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If you post something regular, like "check out our latest spring arrivals," you will seem tone-deaf.

If you post something about your company's values, people will accuse you of virtue signaling.

It has nothing to do with the people who are posting and everything to do with how people are deeply cynical. Saying phrases like "late stage capitalism" = "I'm so smart."

Anyway, I hope brands just do whatever they think is right, regardless of how they're judged. It's literally impossible to do anything without pissing people off nowadays cause everyone is a cynic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads