• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Disagree.

I think they were expressing solidarity even though they weren't sure how to act and would develop something. I think they needed more time to formulate a plan but wanted to get something out there. Hopefully they follow up with something meaningful.

I do understand people's anger. A lot of these issues are because only symbolic half measures have occurred for the most part without enough real change

Well if people keep posting Instagram stories about #racismbad we're certain to get rid of the problem pretty soon.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if people keep posting Instagram stories about #racismbad we're certain to get rid of the problem pretty soon.

Sure but there's also the argument that silence is not acceptable. At least people starting openly that this is a problem and we empathize and stand with the protestors is necessary for the people who are ambivalent about it

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I think that statement has some weight given that their business was damaged. It’s not totally empty - they’re hurting but still felt it necessary to express solidarity, and they did it without mentioning / centering their own pain.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that statement has some weight given that their business was damaged. It’s not totally empty - they’re hurting but still felt it necessary to express solidarity, and they did it without mentioning / centering their own pain.

The 'top' replies include:

"This is not enough..."

"Seriously, this is the most half-assed response I’ve seen from a retailer..."

"YOU NEED TO BE DONATING A LARGE SUM OF MONEY TO PROTESTER’S BAIL AND LEGAL SERVICES ..."

"When y’all wanna put money up, share resources, etc — let me know and I’ll help you direct it properly..."

"Not surprised by this lame post. Need never had a real voice and I’m glad to have rid myself of this shallow, toxic place years ago."

What exactly does a random retailer owe its consumer audience at this point in history?

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As i said earlier, stay silent. It's like the NFL and bland brands who talk loud but say nothing.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it says a lot that despite their store being damaged they support the movement but we have different perspectives

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say that I don't know the context of Needs role in the community. There's a lot of comments about poor treatment of workers and no representation of POC designers

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Need released a new statement

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 9.31.46 AM.png

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to say because now people are saying anecdotes of Need being less than savory when it comes to black employees.

No one deserves to get attacked. Even then need put some pretty weak statement, and the one just posted was somehow even weaker.

I don't know, Need looks like a pretty bland shop to me, I like some of the brands they carry but otherwise I probably will continue not to shop there

Edit: wait a minute is that statement a Photoshop? You got me

Last edited:

Jonas251

Reaction score
Instagram solidarity posts are generally stupid and meaningless. They are literally in and of themselves virtue signals. The whole thing is disingenuous. If you want to help go do something to make the world a better place. Take your time, energy and resources and do something with them. I hate when people think making a woke post on the internet is somehow akin to positive action.

Who tf cares what need supply thinks about this? Someone call Ja Rule.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“The spectacle is a social relation between people that is mediated by an accumulation of images that serve to alienate us from a genuinely lived life.”

― Guy Debord clapping back at Instagram 53 years ago.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
“The spectacle is a social relation between people that is mediated by an accumulation of images that serve to alienate us from a genuinely lived life.”

This is the kind of thing a sophomore philosophy major would say while smoking a doobie at a house party.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads