• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think these are opening ceremony - i bought them from a regular shoe store and there's no OC branding or anything
Hmm. Are they silk? Pretty sure that ours are. My wife’s are all junked up, but more of a violet color, mine are champagne. Hers are around. I’m not sure if mine are here or at the storage unit. Hers are basically gardening shoes now, but I’m going to see if I can get a pic tomorrow.

iirc, definitely had OC co-branding. Yours are cool though. Wish I had a pair like that in a more durable fabric.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's not silk but some type of satin

there was also a silver/gray paisley pair of old schools that I remember seeing in store that I wish I'd bought.

found a pic

vna3b3uub3.gry_02.png

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Staying with my Japanese she trend this year, tempted to get these for summer.

But I'm actually drawn to this pair.

I didn't get any input here on Tokyo Sandals but I did fi d a cool construction video.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Vans' hometown, so I've had a ton.
My favorite thing they've made in a long time is the Ultra Range. Originally made as a super comfy shoe for surfers.
It's become my go-to workout shoe.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Staying with my Japanese she trend this year, tempted to get these for summer.

But I'm actually drawn to this pair.

Those are nice, but look quite similar to Aurora’s

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been on the hunt for a thick leather belt but have had zero luck. The only brand of which I'm aware that makes thicker belts, and belts adjacent to a style I'm going for, is Cucinelli, although I can't find any current offerings that quite match my vision.

I'm looking for a calfskin-or-similar belt, again thick, ideally with some level of complexity in the rendering, whether that be braiding, twisting or just unevenness in the surface, and finished with a fat, brass buckle (not cowboy-size, just not dainty). Ideally it would be cherry or burgundy in color. I don't want a bridle belt and and I'm not looking for a fully-woven belt - just a belt with some intricacy to it. Barring everything else, though, it should be thick.

This doesn't quite hit the mark but gives some sense of what I'm thinking:

w2000_q80.jpg

Suggestions and links welcome.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Have you checked out affiliate vendor Equus Leather?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been on the hunt for a thick leather belt but have had zero luck. The only brand of which I'm aware that makes thicker belts, and belts adjacent to a style I'm going for, is Cucinelli, although I can't find any current offerings that quite match my vision.

I'm looking for a calfskin-or-similar belt, again thick, ideally with some level of complexity in the rendering, whether that be braiding, twisting or just unevenness in the surface, and finished with a fat, brass buckle (not cowboy-size, just not dainty). Ideally it would be cherry or burgundy in color. I don't want a bridle belt and and I'm not looking for a fully-woven belt - just a belt with some intricacy to it. Barring everything else, though, it should be thick.

w2000_q80.jpg

Thick, or wide? Thick as in, you could use it to pull a truck, or wide in that you can barely fit it through your belt loops?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saddleback has what they call their "tow belt". I have had it on my motorcycle riding jeans for about 7 years and that thing has not stretched a cm.

Extremely heavy duty.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thick as in caliper.

Don't Mourn Organize makes belts from saddle, bridle, and harness leather. These come in different thicknesses. As you may know, saddle, bridle, and harness leather come from their use in saddlery. Bridle leather was traditionally used for bridle reins; harness leather for harnesses; saddle leather for saddles.

Scott over at Don't Mourn Organize uses very thick leathers. I can't remember his standard harness thickness, but I had mine shaved down to 0.25" in terms of thickness. That makes it much thicker than most belts on the market, but still comfortable to wear. You can get it thicker, if you want. You can also get it in different colors, but I went with natural and just allowed the belt to tan naturally.

One application of Obeneaf's LP:

tumblr_mu8eqkfFEk1qa2j8co3_r1_1280.jpg

Then with a bit of wear:

tumblr_n6gtdvZjUX1qa2j8co3_r1_1280.jpg

Scott offers different decorative stitching patterns, as well. I had this one below made a few years ago. The belt is made with two layers of leather for even more heft, and then sewn together using a "Clint stitch" pattern. The stitching pattern is named after a Clint Eastwood belt.

tumblr_n6gtdvZjUX1qa2j8co4_r2_1280.jpg

the-man-with-no-name.jpg

Sugar Cane also makes studded belts. Self Edge has a bunch of stuff like this. Bryceland's also works with a custom belt maker for mid-century styled, thick leather belts.

20190224_082848.jpg

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

w2000_q80.jpg

Equus does a laced leather belt that is a bit different from the western style whip stitched belt:

You can get it done in harness you don't kje bridle leather, I think, and you have your choice of buckles. I'm replacing the seriously thin strap for my Bottega Veneta belt with one of their straps.

ESDE also makes cool belts from a much more pliable leather, in your color and length of choice. Super cool buckle options. I'm sorta spent out right now, but I'll probably get one of their belts with the TACIT madee buckle in the summer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads