• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time is democratic when we literally measure a person’s worth by how much money they make an hour and basic needs are a fixed cost. Yes we all have 24 hours in a day but the proportion spent on work is different, and the brain function allocated to worrying is also different from those that have to worry about money.

Time is money and if you are rich you can literally buy more time, not more than 24 hours, but you can pay to lower the proportion of time you spend on everyday things (cooking, childcare, cleaning) and the richer you are the less time spent paying for necessities (healthcare, food, Gundam models).

money can definitely buy you esoteric knowledge.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time is democratic when we literally measure a person’s worth by how much money they make an hour and basic needs are a fixed cost. Yes we all have 24 hours in a day but the proportion spent on work is different, and the brain function allocated to worrying is also different from those that have to worry about money.

Time is money and if you are rich you can literally buy more time, not more than 24 hours, but you can pay to lower the proportion of time you spend on everyday things (cooking, childcare, cleaning) and the richer you are the less time spent paying for necessities (healthcare, food, Gundam models).

I really don’t want to get into it again, but in my first post about this, that was literally my first qualifier, that while there were still inequality, there was a finite bound on the degree.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

yea but poor people don't post on sf, so they don't matter. this is a tastemaker, class signaling space.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or Birks talk?

I dont really get why people like Bostons so much. I had a pair in the office for years, but honestly they look ..soso. Otherwise ,I like all the classic Birks models otherwise (have perhaps 6 pairs of Arizonas, and currently really like the Milanos) . A classic Im missing are the Zurichs, pref in black suede.

YoungM

Reaction score
Not sure if this part Is sarcastic but video games really are bad.

For most of my life, I’ve never played video games, but after dipping my toe in during quarantine, I see how addictive they are.

You get a false sense of accomplishment that I think keeps you from doing more meaningful things.

I always try to balance how much of my time is consumed by production v. consumption, and video games seem to tip the balance way too much towards consumption.

I love how often this sentiment is repeated by people with jobs that are either completely pointless or actively harmful - i.e. cops, soldiers, 98% of finance, 95% of tech, 100% of health insurance.

Or, like Hendrix, people who somehow think ******** out a baby is inherently "meaningful" :bounce2:? Who gives a **** man, the world does not need more children.

Even if you have a job that meaningfully improves people's lives, imagine being dumb enough to think that video games deserves a meaningful percentage of your ire and not Palantir. Seriously, dog brains.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how often this sentiment is repeated by people with jobs that are either completely pointless or actively harmful - i.e. cops, soldiers, 98% of finance, 95% of tech, 100% of health insurance.

Or, like Hendrix, people who somehow think ******** out a baby is inherently "meaningful" :bounce2:? Who gives a **** man, the world does not need more children.

Even if you have a job that meaningfully improves people's lives, imagine being dumb enough to think that video games deserves a meaningful percentage of your ire and not Palantir. Seriously, dog brains.

Hey, I'm in tech and work for a hardware company. Without us, you would not be able to be online complaining about tech.

YoungM

Reaction score
Hey, I'm in tech and work for a hardware company. Without us, you would not be able to be online complaining about tech.
Hey man, as long as it's just pointless, that's fine! Pre-quarantine I sold furniture to people whose purchases routinely eclipsed the value of most American homes. It was not wildly valuable work.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gamers rise up

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont really get why people like Bostons so much. I had a pair in the office for years, but honestly they look ..soso. Otherwise ,I like all the classic Birks models otherwise (have perhaps 6 pairs of Arizonas, and currently really like the Milanos) . A classic Im missing are the Zurichs, pref in black suede.

They are unholy Croc-like clogs and they're hideous.

Every single outfit that's been posted with them could have been improved with other footwear.

I don't get the appeal except for people who are self-conscious about their feet.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crocs rule. I’ve been doing all my quarantine errands in crocs. Birk Boston rule.

they’re comfy. They’re cheap. They have Vibes. Boston’s are the Triple S equivalent for people who buy expensive cheese
You buy Boston’s for the vibes.

cbusguy

Reaction score
Croc x Birkenstock

ADBC9A12-0B49-4ADD-A727-741CDC664924.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads