• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First world problem here. So, I want a Benchmade knife, and I also want a Good Art large rondel and baby barrel set to go on the ring part of my chain on my new stingray and harness leather fob for my vintage Omega DeVille chronograph.

I can either get the less expensive version of the knife (I will remove the clip in any case)
and ALSO get the Good Art set, or I can get the high end, Damascus steel version of the knife with a really beautiful handle:
and defer the Good Art.

The cost will end up being pretty much the same both ways. I am really tending towards the Damascus steel version.

FTW, totally not for EDC or whatever. I just like beautiful tools. For camping, I already have perfectly functional Kershaw knives, etc... This is only incidentally functional.

Your opinions? (I will remove the clip, most likely, in either case) I "need" a knife like a fish needs a bicycle.

emptym

Reaction score
Wow small world. What year did you graduate? Do you still live in the bay area?
Right?

2010. Not anymore unfortunately, moved to Pittsburgh about 3 years ago.
I taught there this past semester. They've been trying to get me to switch over there, but I wonder if the virus situation will stop that. Btw, a friend recently sent me this article mentioning Gavin Newsom and SCU. He talked about it in a press conference today too.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First world problem here. So, I want a Benchmade knife, and I also want a Good Art large rondel and baby barrel set to go on the ring part of my chain on my new stingray and harness leather fob for my vintage Omega DeVille chronograph.

I can either get the less expensive version of the knife (I will remove the clip in any case)
and ALSO get the Good Art set, or I can get the high end, Damascus steel version of the knife with a really beautiful handle:
and defer the Good Art.

The cost will end up being pretty much the same both ways. I am really tending towards the Damascus steel version.

FTW, totally not for EDC or whatever. I just like beautiful tools. For camping, I already have perfectly functional Kershaw knives, etc... This is only incidentally functional.

Your opinions? (I will remove the clip, most likely, in either case) I "need" a knife like a fish needs a bicycle.

Personally prefer the first knife and don't like Damascus blades.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally prefer the first knife and don't like Damascus blades.
Yeah, I hear you. Though I'm tending towards the second, which really catches light in an interesting way - the resin inlays are slightly translucent and the holes in handle allow light through. Also like the gold plated hardware and the Damascus blade. Really, no love at least for that last part?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear you. Though I'm tending towards the second, which really catches light in an interesting way - the resin inlays are slightly translucent and the holes in handle allow light through. Also like the gold plated hardware and the Damascus blade. Really, no love at least for that last part?

I've never liked Damascus blades. They just seem aesthetically overdone.

The first knife you linked is so much better looking.

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Shoemaker group MTOs be like hey anyone up for these dainite-soled dark purple croc print burnished toe red lining loafers? All orders presumably delivered out to the assassins guild hotel from a John Wick film

Why them **** so ugly man?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never liked Damascus blades. They just seem aesthetically overdone.

The first knife you linked is so much better looking.
Hmmm... I guess that we are liking the opposite things. I like the first too, I realized, but it's so... tasteful. Sorta like the Common Projects Achilles of knives. I want something like the Versace of knives.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was under the impression that the art of making damascus steel had been lost and no one had yet figured out how to make proper damascus steel and all modern attempts are just pattern-welded.

could be mistaken though

Oldsrocket27

Reaction score
was under the impression that the art of making damascus steel had been lost and no one had yet figured out how to make proper damascus steel and all modern attempts are just pattern-welded.

could be mistaken though
That's pretty much it, everyone just calls it damascus steel anyway though, presumably because it sells better.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
All the knives posted are like the big dick with erectile dysfunction of knives, sure they're impressive but they won't ever be of any use. Stop cosplaying and get like basic knives you'll (maybe) use. I'm pretty certain 95% of the makers posted have NEVER had a client use their knives for anything remotely useful....

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the knives posted are like the big dick with erectile dysfunction of knives, sure they're impressive but they won't ever be of any use. Stop cosplaying and get like basic knives you'll (maybe) use. I'm pretty certain 95% of the makers posted have NEVER had a client use their knives for anything remotely useful....

Except knife-dicking.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I taught there this past semester. They've been trying to get me to switch over there, but I wonder if the virus situation will stop that. Btw, a friend recently sent me this article mentioning Gavin Newsom and SCU. He talked about it in a press conference today too.

Small world. What did you teach?

Fwiw, the new business school opened up half way through my tenure, so I spent the first 2 years in random classrooms all over campus, and the next 2 years only going to Leavey/Lucas

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads