• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Symphony

Reaction score
@Symphony What were you doing before? Can you draw any parallels with what you were working on to fashion? Maybe start there.

Have you thought about signing up for IG if you want to post OOTDs?

More importantly, why are you starting this; what is the outcome you want?

A lot of my work in fashion is basically write-ups on brands. My writing isn't 100% the best, however I'm still passionate about the stuff I write. My focus was mainly streetwear though, but my views have shifted immensely over the years lol.

I used to have an IG. I might get one again eventually, but for personal reasons I kinda wanna start without one for now.

My biggest outcome is to be able to have a voice. I'm not really in it for the money (if it comes, it comes, if not, that's fine too. I don't expect it to become a full time job) or clout, but more so just having a different perspective than other industry insiders, if that makes sense?

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of my work in fashion is basically write-ups on brands. My writing isn't 100% the best, however I'm still passionate about the stuff I write. My focus was mainly streetwear though, but my views have shifted immensely over the years lol.

I used to have an IG. I might get one again eventually, but for personal reasons I kinda wanna start without one for now.

My biggest outcome is to be able to have a voice. I'm not really in it for the money (if it comes, it comes, if not, that's fine too. I don't expect it to become a full time job) or clout, but more so just having a different perspective than other industry insiders, if that makes sense?
I'd just say write what you care about, share it with people you think might also, and if it resonates with people they will let you know. I don't have much experience with promoting and found that I don't care that much about that aspect of it, so some of the more visible bloggers (or influencers) may have more to say about that. But I'd argue the reasons my favorite blogs are my favorites is because of their unique content and perspective. That being said, social media is obviously the easiest way these days to get more visibility if you're starting out. I also used to cross-post to reddit MFA back when my interests were more aligned.

Just start one and see if you like doing it. Don't put too much pressure on yourself about if you're doing it right (unless you're after capturing a huge following). Like your shifting views on fashion, what you think your blog is going to be about and how you want it is probably going to change too. "Die, Workwear" is the most obvious example, though there are plenty more. @brillopad might have some better advice as well - From Squalor to Baller has a stable consistency and characteristic viewpoint to it over the years that I've always admired.

asaa1000

Reaction score
Saw this Fear of God ultrasounds shirt jacket in a John Mayer interview, and thought it looked cool...
1586122212916.jpeg

Anyone else does something similar? Only one I’ve seen is the Lemaire Maxi shirt but haven’t been able to track one down...

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read Calypso by David Sedaris and mind blown to find out he'd gotten into Kapital/jawnz. Not as amazing as seeing styleforum on the front page of The Intercept with a mushroom cloud photo, but still pretty good.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Lacoste has the best logo in fashion dont @ me

I was a preppy kid and a Lacoste polo (collar popped of course) was the height of middle school fashion. Cut forward 40 years and I was absolutely stoked to get a black Lacoste polo with a white gator logo.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch out! Those gators are nipple biters.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas? Sorry to interrupt the conversation lol.

I don't think there are any real secrets to starting a menswear blog. It's basically free nowadays with the various blogging platforms. To state the obvious:

1. I think earnest content is the best content. It's not hard to find your voice because your voice is natural to you.

2. You need to update regularly. It doesn't have to be every day, but I think a site should be updated at least once a week.

3. I think it's also good to set out some kind of editorial policy in the beginning, even if only for yourself. Your readers have to trust what you're saying, even if you're not the kind of site that reviews products of whatever. I think it's good to try to put some distance between you and the brands you write about.

My friend and boss at Put This On, Jesse, has been an advocate for indie content for years. He has a podcast network and started PTO. He's given multiple talks on how to "make your own thing" online. Here's just one talk, although you can look up others. Generally, I would say don't stress it too much (I still have no idea what's SEO). Just write earnest content and put it out there. Update regularly and just see what happens from there. But Jesse has much more specific advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads