• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So in that vein you can't really wash Barbour jackets? I got one I wore a lot last season, but if I can't wash it without dedicating a whole day to dewaxing it, I'm going to sell it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dry cleaning is an emulsifier of oil. Since the wax coating is a type of oil, dry cleaning a waxed jacket will strip off the wax. You also can't machine wash it for the same reason, but machine washing comes with the added danger of possibly ruining your laundry machine.

The best way to clean waxed cotton at home is to just gently wipe it down with a damp sponge (don't scour, as that can also remove the wax). Then leave it outside to hang dry and get some sun. I've also heard of people treating the smell by soaking a waxed cotton jacket in the tub, as you might do with jeans. I don't know how adding detergent will affect this, and I've never tried it myself.

For a heavy job, you can send it to New England Reproofers. They will strip the wax off, properly clean the jacket, and then rewax the coat. They also have a special machine to get rid of heavy smells.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's going up on ebay this week then lol.

Unless you're really out in the field feeding pigs, I find a waxed cotton Barbour doesn't really get dirty enough to warrant cleaning. Spot cleaning with a damp sponge is probably enough for most people's lifestyles.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless you're really out in the field feeding pigs, I find a waxed cotton Barbour doesn't really get dirty enough to warrant cleaning. Spot cleaning with a damp sponge is probably enough for most people's lifestyles.

It's the inside though! I guess I can clean the inside with some sort of spray.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
If it's BO, turn it inside out, wipe the pits down with 50/50 water & white vinegar, then hang it in the sun for an afternoon. Wiping more thoroughly and airing in the sun will get rid of mild mustiness as well, for stronger musty or mildew odors try putting it in closed box with a bowl full of activated charcoal or baking soda for a week or two.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best way to clean waxed cotton at home is to just gently wipe it down with a damp sponge

What will this do but make it even dirtier? No, sir, I tell you. No. No!

At best, this will offer a false sense of security. Adding water to germs will only slide them around. Unless the sponge you suggest is brand new, it’s likely to be the most filthy thing in the house. Applying it to the wax will be like dipping the coat in hepatitis. You’re better off just waving a Jobu doll over it and hoping for the best.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At best, this will offer a false sense of security. Adding water to germs will only slide them around. Unless the sponge you suggest is brand new, it’s likely to be the most filthy thing in the house.

You can also press the coat up to your mouth. Then alternate between sucking and blowing to loosen the germs. Now give a big suck to lift them directly into your mouth.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issue isn’t that it’s just waxed cotton — it’s reversible. So one side is wax and one side is 97% wool. I’m not sure I want to try my hand at getting it re-waxed even professionally because the original wax is very thin. Just gives it sort of a sheen. That’s the side that’s inside because I wear wool side out.

basically it’s the wool that I want cleaned, happy to just wipe down the waxed side.

It doesn’t smell, but I just want it cleaned. I don’t think it’s ever been cleaned since it was made (AW14)

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This guy. Doesn't even sweat into his clothes. No brand story.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Soak your jacket in the tub then dry it in the salad spinner

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads