• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you also not like Netflix recommending shows to you or Spotify/Apple Music trying to understand what you like?

I don't understand why these systems don't let you say "never, ever this"

I subscribe to Amazon's e-book service as it basically gets me all you can eat access to the Lonely Planet travel guides, but about 45% of all the content available is romance novels. It is not worth wading through, which perhaps is in Amazon's interest.

Netflix's UI is a ******* horror show, but that is another discussion entirely.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s very nice and somewhat poetic (the sheep part) but you didn’t address the question. If you are not blocking ads, do you actually prefer to be served ads that don’t concern you at all? Rather than ads from sites you frequently visit?

do you also not like Netflix recommending shows to you or Spotify/Apple Music trying to understand what you like?
I block ads everywhere but here just to support SF. This probably sounds disingenuous but I don't care about "You Might Also Like..." I use Netflix and Spotify but am fairly well informed entertainment-wise. Don't need their help.

I prefer to confound companies that try to get too close to me. ? Not trying to be grumpy but I prefer to keep people who sell me things at arm's length. Not aiming this at you at all but I'm just wary of being gamed in general.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
It’s very nice and somewhat poetic (the sheep part) but you didn’t address the question. If you are not blocking ads, do you actually prefer to be served ads that don’t concern you at all? Rather than ads from sites you frequently visit?

I like when I get ads telling me to finish buying something because then I buy it

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@smittycl turned on privacy filters after he found out this ad was targeted based on browsing history

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking of which is there a good "system" to book mark stuff that I was interested but want to look later (wish list in each own website that requires login each time is kind annoying)
Hmmm... I am now scheming on whether we can do that here. I have to chat with our systems admin/man around town and our developers later anyway.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking of which is there a good "system" to book mark stuff that I was interested but want to look later (wish list in each own website that requires login each time is kind annoying)
There are a number of services and Chrome applets for that (onecart, savelist, whilo...), but I found that honestly, the best way to do that is Pinterest. Create some private boards, add the Pinterest applet to your browser and just pin stuff you like. It works and you can easily look them up through the Pinterest app too, share with others, etc...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a number of services and Chrome applets for that (onecart, savelist, whilo...), but I found that honestly, the best way to do that is Pinterest. Create some private boards, add the Pinterest applet to your browser and just pin stuff you like. It works

I thought pinterest is just "picture" like it's good inspiration look book but you loose the "link"

i.e. I was thinking of buying later rather than look inspiration

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought pinterest is just "picture" like it's good inspiration look book but you loose the "link"

i.e. I was thinking of buying later rather than look inspiration
No, you do not loose the link at all. I've used it extensively when we were shopping for furniture, bathroom fixtures, etc.... pics and links

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He also has an abismal 9,237 career points (compared to 33,655 from LeBron James) and he really thinks he is on the same level as the GOAT and be better than him.

Has he really said he's as good as Jordan?

Coffandcig

Reaction score

I'm not the OP but I do actually like some untargeted ads because they aren't targeted; maybe I'll see something new. If I'm checking out Alden, I don't need to see Alden ads on every site I visit. I cancelled Netflix when they gave Goop a bunch of money but when I used it, I hated the curated lists. I like foreign movies (not exclusively) but it seemed that the movie/tv reccos were based around me rewatching older movies/tv shows. I felt that I lost the fun of discovery. To put it another way, I felt that I was being nudged in a certain way or into a certain behavior.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not the OP but I do actually like some untargeted ads because they aren't targeted; maybe I'll see something new. If I'm checking out Alden, I don't need to see Alden ads on every site I visit. I cancelled Netflix when they gave Goop a bunch of money but when I used it, I hated the curated lists. I like foreign movies (not exclusively) but it seemed that the movie/tv reccos were based around me rewatching older movies/tv shows. I felt that I lost the fun of discovery. To put it another way, I felt that I was being nudged in a certain way or into a certain behavior.
I love the idea of discovering new things, and that's also why I asked that question. I feel that at least half of the new music that I discovered and started listening to, is because of the Apple Music engine and some of their "similar artists" nudges. Of course, you can also listen to radio shows, shazam stuff you hear, ask friends for recs, etc... to discover new music. But I do find that helpful

Similarly, I don't mind seeing something new but I have no use for ads that are totally untargeted to me - I don't need to see ads for organic tampons or pet food if I don't have a pet.

I'm thinking of this from both ends and while I do believe there are clear benefits for the advertisers to narrow down the field and not waste impressions on unqualified audiences, I also kinda like the idea that advertising networks know a little bit of who I am to keep those banners somehow in the right ballpark...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads