• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have my own office too where I store the vetyver in a cabinet. My boss once joked about smelling like curry I believe. I’ve since regulated it to masking my room if I have gas.

thanks for the posts guys!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A bit late, but second on just trying out samples. It’s hard to distinguish these recommendations from simply a list of the most expensive colognes at any given moment.

That said, I did enjoy a Margiela sample I found at Sephora(!) last year, during the obligatory Xmas run. It was something like, Raided Speakeasy!, 1920s.

(The name felt like it was best spoken in a John Mulaney voice).

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
@Chaconne don't get yellow sneakers dawg

re: cologne i used to wear ll rose 31 about ten years ago and that was my go to along with a couple others like eccentric, etc

i never buy without sampling so i'd go to my local perfumery and my boy would hook me up with 5 samples i'd never heard of and come back to cop one the next week...it would usually take about a day and i'd know instantly if i was going to cop, never buy cologne instantly after sniffing samples they must be tried on skin for a day

also nobody should be able to smell you who isn't a foot or two away

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used TF Grey Vetiver for about 10 years now. Not for its 'office appropriateness' (which also comes up in the reviews on basenotes), but because it's the best scent I've found. I may sample other stuff from time to time, but I haven't found anything I like as much (nor do I really need to).

First introduced as an Eau de Parfum, but if going under the radar is an issue, there's also a lighter Eau de Toilette.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jet's opinions here are all correct. get samples, try **** out for a while, buy a full bottle of your fav. also, yep, when in doubt, don't buy yellow sneakers

though also i will talk **** about eccentric molecules b/c iso e super is cloying

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with Creed. Aventus, in particular, is a favorite in the fragrance community. I also think Green Irish Tweed smells nice.

But it's terribly expensive, even when you find it on discount. The packaging is just packaging, but Creed's packaging is uniquely disappointing for what you pay. I also find the scents don't last very long on my skin.

Luca Turin, who's considered somewhat of a leading tastemaker in perfumes, is particularly harsh on the company. An excerpt from his book Perfumes, co-written with his partner Tania Sanchez:

In the fragrance community, it's hard to tell if the people who are diehard Creed fans are only saying so because Creed is held in such high regard. Aventus comes up all the time as the "top ten favs" when people list anything. At the same time, it's hard to tell if the people who say Creed is overrated are just being contrarian.

That said, I've bought maybe five bottles over the years. I've only kept GIT and Aventus, and I almost never wear them.

Like with clothing, I think the best route to fragrances is to find some basic scents, then see what you like or dislike about them. Then explore scents with those notes. So if you like vetiver notes, then find vetiver scents.

Lately, I've been mostly wearing Helmut Lang's Curion, which is like the smell of soft suede inside of a purse. Dusita's Issara is like honey mixed with hay. Then a couple of Chanel scents, including Coromandel, Cuir de Russie, and Sycomore. Encre Noire is a good substitute for Sycomore, if you're looking for an alternative.

Claire Vukcevic also has a good guide to sampling different scents. There's a lot to dissect here, but just try a few things from sample houses, and then see what you like about them.

I like Creed's green Irish Tweed for meetings etc it's a good professional scent.

For casual wear I like TF Tuscan leather, Armani Oud, and Le Labo Iris

Joytropics

Reaction score
Maybe an obvious choice? But I'm surprised how much I like Tom Ford Noir.

I got into cologne in my thirties, not having worn it since a girlfriend gave me some in high school, and Noir just suits me. I had some initial sticker shock, but when you amortize the cost across how long it lasts, it feels like a bargain compared to other fashion purchases.

I also have sensitive skin that doesn't respond well to a lot of skin products, but the Tom Ford stuff has never been an issue.

Quick warning: I had to throw out a very legit looking, but probably fake or adulterated bottle I got from a well-rated Amazon product listing. I learned the hard way that you have to buy directly from an authorized retailer, and now I just order from TomFord.com

I wish I got into cologne earlier! It's such a nice part of my morning routine. I put it on even when I work from home and don't see anyone else all day.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the most inoffensive, safest scents are probably the new minimalist ones, as pioneered by Escentric Molecules (try their Molecule 01).
Iso E Super (pure as in Molecule 01, or as a major ingredient as in Le Labo's Rose 31) is risky because people's sensitivity to it varies wildly, and it gives some people instant headaches when others can't "smell anything".

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to try ll Rose and lol oud

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
What cologne are guys here wearing? I don’t wear anything regularly but really considering just picking up a bottle of Creed to wear when going out.

And I take it for something like Creed I best go direct rather than Walmart?

looking for a scent that most people would find inoffensive. I have a bottle of vetyver in the office but I got some complaints before.

I wear terre d'Hermès. I don't geetk out about it or anything or vary day/night.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i generally dont wear perfume but if i do i use cartier eau de cartier

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads