• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlikely for RTW. Nobody bought the superlightweight NR. Fact is that guys don't want to pay for summer rain gear.

That said, best lightweight raincoat we've had in years is the current Minotaur gradient that @Newcomer and I have. If your size is still available and you like the look, act fast as we're closing the whole sale section today
It's actually very hard to wear in warmer climates. Too hot and sticky and I just sweat in a rain coat. Great for the other three seasons of course.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gdl203 interesting. I own the NR cph biking jacket, I believe in superlight, but it's fairly cyberpunk and is short in the front as far as raincoats go, so it's not my go-to everyday raincoat. If a NR preorder in the future lets me make a super light m65 I might do it.

I've been wearing the Monitaly ventile Explorer parka this summer. though it's not 100% waterproof, it does a good job for brief or light rain, and it's so lightweight.

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mostly use DHL to ship all kinds of things from Zen to Aus, it's usually the cheapest for medium sized packages. I ask them to drop it off at the 7-11 across the street from me, it has parcel lockers that are open 24/7. EMS is my second choice if it's cheaper in Zen's package cost calculator since they just hand it off to the local post.

I hold items on zen for up to a month and ship everything at once, usually 4-5 items in a parcel, costs about 20-40k yen usually. The largest/heaviest thing was 2 Japan only Pioneer turntables from the 80's shipping was like $220 each for those :( I asked Zen to provide extra packaging and they went wayyy overboard lol

You can control the value of the total package (or individual items) in Zen, important for Aus since GST is pre-paid based on the value of the package.

I constantly have something stored at the Zenmarket warehouse, its so easy to use. Since amazon in Aus sucks, I buy shit like toothbrushes from amazon.co.jp and just build up a package until its worth it to ship.
Damn. I gotta start doing this. I'm shipping shit from the US paying $40 to ship a $10 Uniqlo hat.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The feelings represented in that article are fairly common amongst Union members. Just to get the other side's point of view: many of their parents struggled years to get the kind of benefits and working conditions we currently enjoy. OTOH it's not as though Unionmade blithely picked the name from a hat; they did try to get union-made stuff. Not sure how why they never stocked Ben Davis and Thoroughgood boots, though.

There's a store from the Pacific Northwest called Black Bear Brand that corrals what they call the "Union of Makers". Apparently it was unionized in the past, but since there are so few actual union brands (and few union machinist/engineers) they try and follow the same principles. And they sell some pretty cool stuff.

There are many union workers that never shop at Walmart or Amazon, but I try to find an equilibrium by supporting brands that at least attempt sustainable methods and choose manufacturers that pay their workers a living wage (wherever it may be).

Edit: sometimes I buy Hanes t-shirts :hide:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To be honest, that name always made me wince. The store itself is about authenticity but the name is incredibly misleading, in an uncomfortable way. I never understood that choice. How can your brand be intrinsically a lie?

BTW, this guy thinks that "Joe Biden is the Unionmade of politicians"

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased some things from Unionmade but I surmise that they must have had a ton of leftover stock. Their website, at least from my perspective, consisted of an obscene number of basics in various shades of indigo. Like, hundreds upon hundreds of indistinguishable, indigo, repro sweatshirts. As an online consumer, I found it near impossible to differentiate between their offerings (unless I had a frame of reference, i.e., another website).

I am nonetheless sad that they are gone.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We don't actually know anything about whether they are closing or maybe pivoting into a different business model - we're just speculating based solely on the crazy-a$$ discounts they're giving right now on their website. Do we even know if the B&M stores have the same discounts going on?

cbusguy

Reaction score
yeah, not the best name. it sounds good though. they should've expected backlash if they weren't going to carry items that were only unionmade

maybe a better name would be not actually unionmade, but reminiscent of items that are unionmade for dystopian space cowboys

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.