• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm with hendrix on this, i drink very little but i'm amazed at how much people i know get through on a daily basis. like, a bottle of wine per person on a given night is normal for many friends. these are highly functional people, doctors, company directors with kids. maybe a british thing?

related story: one couple i have in mind here went on a trip recently, on the way back their flight was delayed and they started drinking. in mid-air someone had a medical emergency so the wife, a doctor, went into action and likely saved the person's life. next morning the husband woke up and told his wife how proud he was of her - she had absolutely no memory of the incident.

Last edited:

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming from a family of borderline alcoholics I know plenty of adult aged binge drinkers in my life. My dad routinely will drink an entire bottle of wine by himself over the course of an evening. Also have plenty of middle aged friends who still go hard; Weird to see adults with teenage kids get shitfaced on weekdays, but it happens. I think CDC stats would say like 20% if Americans routinely binge drink, so I imagine a large number of Americans are consuming more than 1-2 drinks a day.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Add to this the fact that at least a subset of this population is drinking big CA wine or double IPAs and so the alcohol in even what they might consider their 1-2 drinks is not what it may seem.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why you just sip on a nice scotch on the weekends.

Jobst

Reaction score
The distribution of drinking in the US is super top heavy (as is most human behavior, e.g. compare with clothing spending...) where something like the top 10% of drinkers consume more than 50% of all alcohol.

Coming from NZ I inherited the British style binge drinking tendency, and having 6+ drinks on a weekend day/night is not unusual. But during the week I'm quite restrained. Not the healthiest of behaviors, but a tough one to break.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I must be the abnormal one here I drink one glass every 2 to 3 weeks...?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i only have one glass with a meal

glass.jpg

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heitz tasting today. Will be sure to report stats back to the thread.

Coravin helps mitigate the urge to finish bottles I guess.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heitz tasting today. Will be sure to report stats back to the thread.

Coravin helps mitigate the urge to finish bottles I guess.
Yeah I need to get one of those! I usually use an argon spray (winesave) but coravin will be better for sure.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
related story: one couple i have in mind here went on a trip recently, on the way back their flight was delayed and they started drinking. in mid-air someone had a medical emergency so the wife, a doctor, went into action and likely saved the person's life. next morning the husband woke up and told his wife how proud he was of her - she had absolutely no memory of the incident.

This says more about the medical profession (people plumbers) than it does drinking

:devil:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads