1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This is great for auctions, and removes a lot of the arbitrage associated with eBay bidding, which follows none of the protocols of regular auctions to get there highest price for the item ( either closed envelope or this type of system).

2. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

3. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Distinguished Member

4. Enexde96

Enexde96 Senior Member

Exactly. With eBay everybody is trying to snipe so it's hard to visually see that other parties are interested and by then it's too late as the auction abruptly ends. In that sense it seems somewhat like closed envelope to me I guess. However, with the Y!J auction style the buyer has a clear visual indicator that other parties are interested. This definitely plays a part in how the buyer determines value usually leading them to bid more. It just seems like no-brainer to me that it would be especially effective for Grailed given the whole "grail culture" thing they have going on where value is so inflated by rarity and fabricated mythos on their part.

I think ultimately it could only lead to a net increase in prices and more importantly a more liquid market. Would it also lead to sellers sometimes not getting the price they wanted? Yes. But isn't that already happening after months of lowballs or no interest that forces dramatic price drops? And wouldn't we all prefer to sell an item in a week for a bit less than hold on to it for such a long time? I should probably stop... I feel like I could write pages about this.

5. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

Landing in LA this afternoon. 30 degrees colder than Maryland yesterday

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

You mean 30 degrees chiller.

7. Jobst

Jobst Senior Member

This is interesting, I didn't know Y!J worked like that. I was around when NZ's local version of ebay switched to a system very similar, and it's a definite improvement. It tells anyone viewing the auction how many watchers the item has, and it's very obvious if there are auto-bidders from the bid behaviour. As mentioned upthread, if there's an existing auto-bid of say $50, and somebody else manually bids $10, you just see two subsequent bids by the same person (the leading auto-bidder): their original, then one for the minimum increase over the $10 bid. Often you'll see 5+ bids from the same person in a row, when some cheap person manually tries to sneak over or feel out somebody's auto-bid $1 at a time.

The auto extend feature is great too, in that it forces actual auction behaviour (as opposed to a sniping contest). I've sold stuff that had hundreds of people watching, but no bidding until the last 5 minutes. Then people started trying to outdo each other by $1 at a time, often extending the auction by hours. Downside here is that you need to make sure the auction's scheduled end is during popular times, which the site very much realizes and has monetized by charging a small fee for a specific finish time.

8. FrankCowperwood

I have to say I've found eBay's auction system to be a turn off both as a buyer and seller. Seems kind of silly to have a 3 day or 7 day or 10 day auction when nothing happens until 15 seconds before the auction closes. I suppose that period of time is to let people find the auction and set up their sniping bots, but there's very little on eBay that I can really be bothered with for that (as a non-bot, don't want to figure that out guy). As a seller, I just put BIN posts up at the price that I feel like taking, maybe with a constrained offer option, and if people want it great. If not, I'll just let the listing expire.

9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

I just use Gixen. You basically log into eBay through there, enter your price, and you're done.

I find a lot of eBay now is actually BIN.

10. FrankCowperwood

That's good to know. I'll have to use that next time I'm buying something from eBay, though It's really rare that I find something there that I feel the need to buy. Not sure why that is.

11. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

probably because eBay comes off as value-oriented and definitionally retrospective (as a secondary market) and many fashion enthusiasts run towards exclusivity, novelty, and the near future.

further what is likely happening is that somebody who bought hype on yoox is more or less 'synced' up with the broader fashion community who loses interest in that item - for the same reasons! - and so are actually trying to sell at a market low.

the recipe is buy low sell high folks. alternatively, don't look at fashion as an investment or a quick buck (and i don't think many folks in here do, but somehow the phenomenon of not-getting-it-cheap-enough seems to have morphed into not-getting-enough-for-it.)

12. FrankCowperwood

I view fashion as a cost center, like my cats.

13. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

exactly! i haven a couple of kitties, i don't expect them to wash the fucking dishes.

14. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Distinguished Member

Good enough for me! The double wrap version is more appealing looking at photos. If you're looking to sell... :smarmy:

15. FrankCowperwood

And I'd really rather not have mice for them to catch. They mostly just sits and thinks.